PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding Prices

Kingram52
10-18-2007, 12:15 AM
What do you guys charge your regular monthly customers for overseeding?
Is this something that is in your contract like fertilizing or is it a seperate charge.?
thanks

sicnj
10-18-2007, 12:21 AM
3x the mowing charge + double the price of seed + fert or lime.
example $40 to cut the lawn +30lbs of seed+ fert = $250

or can charge per K
say if seen prices from $40-$60 per 1000 sq foot

HOOLIE
10-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Seed is pretty expensive...you don't want to just 'wing it' with the pricing. Measure the lawns and match it up against the recommended spread rate for the seed.

I bought a couple 50lb bags at Lesco...their regular price was around $1.50 per pound...so around $75 per bag. You want to make sure you're charging enough. And keep in mind some lawns in bad shape will need more seed, at least in certain areas.

Kingram52
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
3x the mowing charge + double the price of seed + fert or lime.
example $40 to cut the lawn +30lbs of seed+ fert = $250

or can charge per K
say if seen prices from $40-$60 per 1000 sq foot

Very expensive, but there is a lot of labor involved with all the bagging of the grass and haul away.
Do you charge the same for existing customers or give them a discount?

Kingram52
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Seed is pretty expensive...you don't want to just 'wing it' with the pricing. Measure the lawns and match it up against the recommended spread rate for the seed.

I bought a couple 50lb bags at Lesco...their regular price was around $1.50 per pound...so around $75 per bag. You want to make sure you're charging enough. And keep in mind some lawns in bad shape will need more seed, at least in certain areas.

You can get a 50lb bag of Perin. Rye for $50.00 here in AZ. at a local Nursery or $75.00 at Lowes.

Kingram52
10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Any Arizona guys out there who has a opinions on pricing Overseeding?

thanks

hoskm01
10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
By the foot. Factor the time it takes you to mow, to bag and to seed the area, plus cost per seed by the foot. I'm at about 14 cents per foot for new customers and 12 cents for existing customers. Dont give your blanket price to everyone. Just like every other job, you need to consider thatch, density, and height of the grass before you quote. Lawns I maintain I can dethatch and scalp in a pass of each machine whereas on a lawn that is overgrown or hasnt been dethatched in years, it might take me two mowings, a dethatch and another mowing to get it where it needs to be.

sicnj
10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
that is my price for regular customers.

hoskm01
10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
that is my price for regular customers.
I think how we overseed is a little different than you people in the NE.

Kingram52
10-19-2007, 07:59 PM
By the foot. Factor the time it takes you to mow, to bag and to seed the area, plus cost per seed by the foot. I'm at about 14 cents per foot for new customers and 12 cents for existing customers. Dont give your blanket price to everyone. Just like every other job, you need to consider thatch, density, and height of the grass before you quote. Lawns I maintain I can dethatch and scalp in a pass of each machine whereas on a lawn that is overgrown or hasnt been dethatched in years, it might take me two mowings, a dethatch and another mowing to get it where it needs to be.
Is overseeding ever factored into contracts like fertilizing or is it usually a extra charge?

hoskm01
10-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Get it in the contract if you can. Most businesses with frontage will always have it done for appearance, so why let them debate it?

sicnj
10-19-2007, 09:39 PM
i use a lesco renovator in two directions. i am talking power seeding your talking about broadcast seeding. sorry

hoskm01
10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
i use a lesco renovator in two directions. i am talking power seeding your talking about broadcast seeding. sorry
Its similar I guess. Yours is like a dethatcher and seeder in one (I think) we detatch, scalp, then broadcast.

leeslawncare
10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
We charge by the sq. yrd. kinda....30.00$ per sq for regular clients.(seed areate an fert app.) but call me up need it now non-regular the price book is big .Since chem -lawn here is getting 40.00 per k ..I did a 3.5k today Non -regular client 160.00. plus straw (1bale).She loved my work an took me on for mowin ,mulching for next year.Go figure!!

Stillwater
10-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Measure the lawns and match it up against the recommended spread rate for the seed.

the recommended spread rates are totally inadequate for my over seeding I double the spread rates and charge for it.