PDA

View Full Version : For Trade: Ladder for Post Hole Diggers

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 12:39 AM
You guys have converted me, I am going to try to sell more Par well lights! I bought a new set of post hole diggers today. I am not being sarcastic, I have got to quit doing the crazy installs.

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
More More More

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Glad I had some influence. Time to Climb down off your 40' ladder and make some money.

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 12:48 AM
We have under cabinet lights under that Granite bar also, No ladder but one nasty wire pull. I think we were the last to make a pull and a pull it was!

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Glad I had some influence. Time to Climb down off your 40' ladder and make some money.

Amen, That will preach.

sprinkler guy
10-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Nice!! The face of that brick house looks must look cool with those lights shining down!

I love walking a job with the prospective client and throwing out ideas of what to light and from what angle/location. They look at you like you're crazy, then ask "How in the heck are you going to get a light up there AND hide the wire??!!" You casually shrug it off like it's no big deal, get the job, do all the crazy attic crawling, and put the fixture just where you said you would. They're amazed that the end result could look so clean and perform like it does. Really cool, and really satisfying to do. Again I say, nice!

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 02:01 AM
A business mentor of mine told me this. When you deposit the check at the end of the job the bank never asks how hard you worked to earn it.

ccfree
10-18-2007, 07:29 AM
nice work Eden. That kind of lighting separates the men from the boys....

Pro-Scapes
10-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Find easier ways to do your crazy installs but dont sacrafice anything. Its called laborers.

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Eden, here in NY we must pull permits to do any wiring inside buildings and it must be Romex or Thhn inside metal conduit. LV cable inside a wall or boxed soffit is a No No here. Oh and you have to either be the homeowner or a licensed electrician to pull the permit. No problemo in Nashville?

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 08:46 AM
A permit is required for all low voltage work. Just as you stated the wire must be rated for it's use. Seagull and others have a properly rated wire to meet code for these types of installations. I would suggest that you hook up with the interior LV guys in your area that are using remote transformers for their lighting, they will be able to help you out.

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Also in most areas properly rated 12/2 speaker wire is acceptable, but I have found it to be much more expensive.

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
We picked up four clients today which must be a record for us. The problem is two of them have some challenges. Project one has a long front terrace with no access to the basement. I am already looking at the soffit area for downlighting, please help I have only been on the wagon for a day and I already need support. Thanks for all the help.

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Job #2, Turret is very important to client, stone facade and copper standing seam roof. I find myself looking at that gutter line again, please help me get back on track with my new post hole diggers?

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 10:10 PM
A permit is required for all low voltage work. Just as you stated the wire must be rated for it's use. Seagull and others have a properly rated wire to meet code for these types of installations. I would suggest that you hook up with the interior LV guys in your area that are using remote transformers for their lighting, they will be able to help you out.

No No No. I stick to terra firma . No heights for me or subs. I'll shoot from the ground or nothing at all. My insurance rates are already through the roof.

NightScenes
10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Eddie, you keep me in stitches!! I think you need to put a few 175w MH in the middle of the lawn and just aim em at the house!!

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 10:54 PM
I can see I am going to have to offer money again to get any help?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
We picked up four clients today which must be a record for us. The problem is two of them have some challenges. Project one has a long front terrace with no access to the basement. I am already looking at the soffit area for downlighting, please help I have only been on the wagon for a day and I already need support. Thanks for all the help.

Eddie.... Time to hit the ladders again my friend. I have so many ideas for both of these homes I cannot begin to type them all out!

Get on the horn to Connie at Nightscaping and have her email you the spec. sheets on the Mini Wash Liter and Shield. Im not sure if the info for it is on the web site or not.

As for ladders.... I will post some info on a very cool personnel lift I have found out of Europe that is now available in N. America. Watch for the thread.

Have a great day.... and don't fall!

Eden Lights
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Spider LIft?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Wow... you beat me to it! Any of you guys actually own and use one of these? I am considering one for 2008. But at $51k, plus a new 20' tandem trailer and upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck it is a considerable investment in equipment.

I would love to hear your experiences with the Tuepen Spider Lift. At 6psi footprint weight, are you able to traverse lawns without damaging them?

JoeyD
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Why use the mini wash liter over the Stellar??? The Stellar comes with all the options in the box and a life time warranty. Telescopic stem is cool but do you really need telescopic. We have risers for that. I think the wash liter looks ok but I really dont like that U Bracket on it.

irrig8r
10-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Why use the mini wash liter over the Stellar??? The Stellar comes with all the options in the box and a life time warranty. Telescopic stem is cool but do you really need telescopic. We have risers for that. I think the wash liter looks ok but I really dont like that U Bracket on it.

The Mini-Wash can be ordered with or without the stem. They have talked about changing the yoke mount, but w/o stem the yoke works well for mounting on structures- inside gazebos, etc.

JoeyD
10-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Here are some pics of the Stellar flush mounted. This is done by knocking the brass knuckle off of the light. Sounds tricky but really isnt!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/StellarFlush.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/StellarFlush2.jpg
Here are some other app shots, Not sure if I ever posted the, I just love the Stellar!!!!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/stellaronbeamusingspherebase003.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/StellarRiserDwnlight.jpg

pete scalia
10-20-2007, 07:55 PM
This is done by knocking the brass knuckle off of the light

Isn't the female part of the knuckle cast as one piece with the body of the fixture. I can see removing the male knuckle side without a problem but must you cut the female side off the body. If so how would you recommend doing this? Great application and photos. Your giving me ideas.

JoeyD
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
You are correct and you have to be carefull in doing this. But the way you do it is use a hammer or small sledge and with one good swoop you bang that knuckle right off of the body. Rememebr brass is soft so it will break if you have the right leverage and you remove the stake side of the knuckle. When I performed this application I installed my Stellars under a ledge so water infiltration was not a concern. But here the installer filled the opening with silicone and obviously you could not see that becuase of the way it is installed.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Well the best reason I can think of is that the Mini Wash Liter is about 1/10 of the size of the Stellar!

The Nightscaping Mini Wash liter is one heck of a little fixture for those times when you want a soft, broad flood (wash) of light. It comes lamped with a Q20X or Q20 Halogen lamp.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Well the best reason I can think of is that the Mini Wash Liter is about 1/10 of the size of the Stellar!

The Nightscaping Mini Wash liter is one heck of a little fixture for those times when you want a soft, broad flood (wash) of light. It comes lamped with a Q20X or Q20 Halogen lamp.

Have a great day.

AHH, I didnt realize it was that small. The Stellar is pretty small (2"X3")so to be 1/10 the size must make it pretty tiny. I need to check that out!

irrig8r
10-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Here are the facts, according to the manufacturers:

The Unique Stellar:
2.6" deep (fixture plus shroud)
3.2" tall (center of knuckle to top of body)
width not shown.

The body is cast brass.
It comes with 25 ft. of 18/2 and a plastic stake.
The spec sheet is dated 8/21/07.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/Spec%20Sheets/Stellar.pdf

The Nightscaping MiniWasher:
2.25" deep, with the optional copper "eyebrow" shroud of 1.88" overlapping some.
1.25" tall (body only), and 2.75" tall from bottom of the yoke to top of the body.
2.25" wide

The body is copper. The yoke is brass.
It can be ordered with a telescopic stem, extending from Just over 5" to just over 10" to the bottom of the yoke.
The stem can be ordered with either conduit thread, floor mount bracket, or brass spike.
The fixture can also be ordered w/o stem (yoke mount).
The spec sheet is dated 12/7/06.

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/miniwasher_gu4457cu.pdf

The fact that Nightscaping's fixture came out first doesn't necessarily mean that Unique used it as inspiration....

Let's just say they fill a similar niche.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Once again... Mr. Wiki (Gregg) is on the job!

So maybe I understated the size of the Mini Wash Liter just a tad....

JoeyD
10-21-2007, 11:17 PM
LOL.....SOrry Gregg but the Stellar was out first therfore was potentially the others insperation. The Stellar came out back in 2002. We just re designed our spec sheets in August.

pete scalia
10-21-2007, 11:41 PM
LOL.....SOrry Gregg but the Stellar was out first therfore was potentially the others insperation. The Stellar came out back in 2002. We just re designed our spec sheets in August.

Just goes to prove unique lighting is #1 in technology and innovation.

irrig8r
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
LOL.....Sorry Gregg but the Stellar was out first therefore was potentially the others inspiration. The Stellar came out back in 2002. We just re designed our spec sheets in August.

That's very interesting. Since the Mini Washer was designed and beta-tested by a Southern California contractor I know, in cooperation with Nightscaping, I'll ask what his inspiration was. My understanding was that it was essentially just a compact version of the Nightscaping Softliter, which has been around a long time.

My literature shows the Softliter in a 1993 brochure, even though the spec drawing was revised in December 2006 to include the Ace connectors...

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/softliter_gu0403cu.pdf

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I am quite sure that the NS Mini Wash Liter was a completely original concept and design. It was designed and tested by good friends of mine in S. California.

There is a huge amount of talent out there, it is nice to have a manufacturer who is open to building the products that we think up and need. Not too many manufacturers out there who will take a sketch and deliver a prototype in weeks simply based on your request.

Have a great day.