PDA

View Full Version : skid-steer attachments for planting b+b trees

westcoh
10-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Just wondering what attachments everyone uses for digging holes for larger ball + burlapped trees, and then what attachment you use to move the tree into the hole? I've seen people use all kinds of different things here and am just trying to figure out what the most efficient attachment would be.

Lawnworks
10-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I use an auger. I wish I had a boom for my skid for getting the trees in the hole. I just use my forks and a chain. At my nursury they have this boom attachment for forks that is pretty sweet. They slide the forks together, then slid a piece of tube metal over the two forks that has a D-ring at the end of the tube for hooking your chain.

Fordsuvparts
10-18-2007, 10:03 PM
We use a Skid loader or Dingo mounted auger, we have 36" 30" 24" 18" 12" and 8" bits for the auger and we use a standard set of forks to place the tree's and move them around. We use the same setup on our tree farm and at our supply yard as well.
They only thing we are doing differently is on the really big jobs we will have two machines drilling holes and three machines bring the tree's to be planted. We have a 10,000 piece planting that starts on Nov. 1st and will be working one crew at night drilling holes and planting another during the day drilling and planting but with two separate crews, mine and our DBE sub so we will be able to see which crew and put more tree's in the ground.

Lawnworks
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow is that a large commercial job? How many bnbs? Love to see pics of that job when you do it.

Construct'O
10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
We use a Skid loader or Dingo mounted auger, we have 36" 30" 24" 18" 12" and 8" bits for the auger and we use a standard set of forks to place the tree's and move them around. We use the same setup on our tree farm and at our supply yard as well.
They only thing we are doing differently is on the really big jobs we will have two machines drilling holes and three machines bring the tree's to be planted. We have a 10,000 piece planting that starts on Nov. 1st and will be working one crew at night drilling holes and planting another during the day drilling and planting but with two separate crews, mine and our DBE sub so we will be able to see which crew and put more tree's in the ground.

Nov.1 !!!!! How long will they let you plant.Here Nov. 15 i think is the cut off date,if it's a Goverment job.

Of course maybe your be done before then with the extra crew? Probably the idea! Good luck.

AintNoFun
10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
DBE must be a federally funded project? we've been fighting for our DBE cert for over a year now, what a nightmere....