PDA

View Full Version : My sleep study

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-18-2007, 06:14 AM
As part of other medical stuff my Dr. had me go through a sleep study. I think self employed are going to have sleep problems at a higher rate than the general population but nonetheless I learned a few things and a new term."Sleep Hygiene"

Main thing they look for is sleep apnea. No problem with me.
I achieve REM sleep in 58 minutes. Very fast, potential narcolepsy. It usually takes 2-3 hours. While asleep I spend 35% of my sleep in REM also high. General population in the 25% range.

After the study here are the new "Sleep Hygiene" rules I have to try and follow.
No more than two cups of caffeine. Goodbye Red Bulls. Hello Decaf
Only one beer a day max:cry:
No liquids after 7pm. (So as not to interrupt my sleep getting up to pee:) )
No scary movies or books before bedtime.:nono:
Try not to read in bed. Read in your chair and then go to bed.
Avoid evening exercise.
Since I can't seem to sleep past 4am I need to start going to bed between 8-9pm.
Nothing is affected more by your lifestyle than sleep.
Being 50 really sux. Next up DA COLONOSCOPY:dizzy:

Wet_Boots
10-18-2007, 07:09 AM
no pictures, please

Fordsuvparts
10-18-2007, 08:23 AM
The last line is not pleasant at all, i have had it done twice in 5 years, lucky for me that was not the problem. Only one beer will you survive!!!!

PurpHaze
10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Are they afraid you're pooping in your sleep? :laugh:

DanaMac
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Your doc would love me. My sleep patterns are so bad. Rarely sleep 6 hours, usually 4-5. I can fall asleep at the drop of a sprinkler head. But staying asleep is the problem.

Last night -
Asleep at 9:30 on the couch
Awake at 1:00
Back asleep at 4:45
Awake at 6:00
Not much REM sleep in there either.

2-4 cups of coffee a WEEK
Not much caffeine at all
Haven't had a beer in a week - makes me sleep even worse
Main issue is work stress right now. Sleep will get better in 2-3 weeks. if I don't have a heart attack first :) Or fall asleep driving :sleeping:

gusbuster
10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Try not to read in bed. Read in your chair and then go to bed.
Avoid evening exercise. [/SIZE]
Why not read a book in bed? Never heard of that one. When I can't sleep, that's the first thing I do in order try to get myself tired again....then again, start to read something I like and then I try to stay up.

Avoid evening exercise.....try that with a 3 and 5 year old. It's the only time that I get to spend with the little ones when I'm home in the valley.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Are they afraid you're pooping in your sleep? :laugh:

No:rolleyes: Just a turn 50 rite of passage. Colon cancer and testicular cancer are the two cancers you need to be checked for cuz your body won't tell you you have them until it is too late. I'm trying to get all this stuff on this years deductible while I'm dealing with other stuff that are the real issues.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Why not read a book in bed? Never heard of that one. When I can't sleep, that's the first thing I do in order try to get myself tired again....then again, start to read something I like and then I try to stay up.

Avoid evening exercise.....try that with a 3 and 5 year old. It's the only time that I get to spend with the little ones when I'm home in the valley.

The book in bed thing is they want your bed to be for sleep. Nothing to compete with it. Exercise issue is tough. Fortunately I've given it up altogether.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 07:42 PM
no beer?

dude.

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 07:48 PM
The book in bed thing is they want your bed to be for sleep. Nothing to compete with it. Exercise issue is tough. Fortunately I've given it up altogether.:)

Jezz, I comiserate..I'm 62 (as of Oct 20)...no problem with sleep except
dreams of girlfriends during the fifties & sixties. You gotta go to bed earlier
& get some rest..some need 10-12 hrs. I do.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Jezz, I comiserate..I'm 62 (as of Oct 20)...no problem with sleep except
dreams of girlfriends during the fifties & sixties. You gotta go to bed earlier
& get some rest..some need 10-12 hrs. I do.

I'd love to be so at peace with the world that I could sleep 12 hrs a day. That is half the day. Surely you didn't get to sleep 12 hrs a day before Hank bought the biz?

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd love to be so at peace with the world that I could sleep 12 hrs a day. That is half the day. Surely you didn't get to sleep 12 hrs a day before Hank bought the biz?

Interesting question...I'd not thought it before you posted...maybe I handled
it 'cause I knew if I had sufficient sleep I'd smile on the way to work;
still do! Have not had a watch or a alarm clock for forty years (yep, true).

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I get a good solid 8 hrs to be good.Anything under and im pissed off..

on a sidenote i started taking tyelnol pm to Knock out eaiser.

you ever try that?

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 08:19 PM

you ever try that?

First one's free.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
First one's free.

I take it every night...sometimes 1 extra when the old back is throbbing...
it works for me..

irrig8r
10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I like Aleve best for my aches and pains.

I've got a hip with the same affliction that cyclist Floyd Landis has and will probably need to be replaced in the next 5 years or so....

And I'll turn 50 next month, and my family is giving me a colonoscopy for my birthday. Whoopee! Aw, gee you shouldn't have...;)

DanaMac
10-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Fell asleep for an hour during the Red Sox win tonight. Probably be wide awake for 3-4 hours now.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
I get a good solid 8 hrs to be good.Anything under and im pissed off..

you ever try that?

Left me too groggy. I use it sometime on weekends. Vicks Nyquil is the sleeping stuff:drinkup:

Wet_Boots
10-19-2007, 08:24 AM
there's always Wild Turkey...

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM
there's always Wild Turkey...

Complete truth....