PDA

View Full Version : Warranties

Lawn Designers
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm just getting into the lights in my biz and wanted to know:
What are the standard warranties on aluminum, bronze and copper lights?
Are they pretty much the same from company to company?
Do you use these warranties in your sales pitches or include in contracts?
If you could list companies and their warranties I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
L J

klkanders
10-18-2007, 07:18 PM
L J,
No standard warranties. Copper, brass and bronze are going to have longer warranties.
Warranties are differnt from company to company even on similar materials.
Yes mentioning warranties is part of the selling process and can help seal the deal. Contracts should also spell out any warranties on equipment and installation.
I would encourage you to check the websites of all companies that interest you and note warranties on fixtures, transformers, etc...
Good Luck!

bmwsmity
10-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey LJ. If you want the best warranty, Unique has them...15 years on Copper fixtures, Lifetime on Brass. Lifetime on their transformers too.

I ALWAYS let customers know about the warranty, because people are definitely concerned about the longevity of something they are spending big money on.

Manufacturers warranties are covered by them, but I still include that fact in my contracts, as well as my warranty on the installation, which is LIFETIME.

JoeyD
10-18-2007, 07:27 PM
To re enforce what BMWSMITY said, we also offer our Consumer Buyer Protection plan which allows for you to fill out the proper paperwork and submit it. Once recieved and checked off Unique will then warranty the entire installation minus labor for life. meaning that we can assist the homeowner should you the installer get out of the buisness or just not want to deal with them. It is more of a marketing tool than anything. But with our without paperwork we will always warranty our products like stated above, 15 years on copper, lifetime on brass, wells, and transformers. best warranties in the industry!!

http://www.uniquelighting.com/tech_support/Consumer_Protection.htm

bmwsmity
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
one question about that joey.

what if the contractor uses a mix of products, like a unique trans & hubs, but some other brand of fixtures. is the buyer protection plan not applicable then?

JoeyD
10-18-2007, 07:34 PM
it is only applicable when you are using Unique Brass/Odyssey Line, Hub wiring system (you dont need to use our Hubs), and our Transfomers. We just cant warranty the system if someone elses products are there. Then the homeowner would want us to replace them once they had that certificate.

bmwsmity
10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
That's what I thought...just wanted to clarify.

Lawn Designers
10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
thanks for the feedback... do you guys recommend avoiding aluminum? Nobody mentioned it above and I was thinking I would use aluminum for most of the spot lights that are out of site(behind bushes to wash a house). What are the avg lifespans on aluminum products or should I just stick to copper. brass and bronze?

klkanders
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
L J, You are going to get a few different responses now. :) A number of us here use aluminum fixtures as well. Educate yourself by reading everything you can on here and the web then you will be able to offer the customer different options along with price levels. I use alot of Kichler aluminum products and love them but I also use Unique as well. Offering variety has enabled me to reach different customer budget levels.
The usual warranty on aluminum varies as do the finishes approximately 1-5 yrs. The fixtures and transformers are only part of a great system. Learn to install them properly with good wire, connections, proper voltage and amps.

bmwsmity
10-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I do use a lot of Kichler products as well that are aluminum, mostly due to customer budget constraints. One thing that must be considered is whether or not the customer has their lawn fertilized, and if so, what type of fertilizer is used (liquid or granular). If liquid is used, or if the customer lives in a salty environment (ocean air), then aluminum is not as good a choice due to corrosion issues. In these cases, brass and sometimes copper are the better choice.

Some lighting guys are hard-core stalwart copper and brass only people. I love copper and brass, but sometimes you will be limited by going with only these materials. Many fixtures that are more ornamental do not utilize these materials, as you will find with Kichler products.

One of the most important questions you can ask a customer when finding their needs is "HOW LONG DO YOU PLAN TO STAY IN THIS HOME?" This answer will lead you in deciding what material is best as well.

pete scalia
10-19-2007, 12:39 AM
One of the most important questions you can ask a customer when finding their needs is "HOW LONG DO YOU PLAN TO STAY IN THIS HOME?" This answer will lead you in deciding what material is best as well.

Houses can last dozens and dozens of years. It is wise not only to provide materials that will last for the current owner but for subsequent owners as well.

bmwsmity
10-19-2007, 08:54 AM
this is true, however many customers have directly told me that they really don't care about lifetime warranties because they'll only be there for a few more years, and that they'd rather go with something that just gets the job done effectively. as much as we'd like to put something in that will last forever, in the end we must do what the customer asks of us.