PDA

View Full Version : I HATeMoNdAys $%#^$

GradeMan
10-18-2007, 05:54 PM
:hammerhead: Holy crap U would believe this, A new guy {25] Started this week, and well he got hurt about 7hrs into his new job. He was in a trench about 3ft wide 3.5ft deep, and side gave in, At the time he was bent down? and twisted his leg, It took 2 of us 10 mins to get him out. What would you do with someone like this? What a crappy monday just got caught up today from that mess.

Dirt Digger2
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
he was bent over in a trench probably doing work...what do you want him to do?..he's a new guy, he obviously didnt know what the starts of a cave in look like, cut him some slack

RockSet N' Grade
10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
What I would do is go home tonight and make sure your workman's comp and all insurances are paid and up to date. Next I would make sure he is ok and probably listen very closely tomorrow for any "hints". I personally start a new guy doing menial tasks where I can watch to see what he is made of and his style until I feel comfortable with his skill set.....lots of lessons here for all of us. Hope he is ok and it becomes nothing more than this.

bobcatoh
10-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Kiss his butt, because he's got you now.

Was he properly trained?
Was your competant person there?
Did you contact your workers comp?
Did you contact OSHA? or Canadian equivilent
Does your insurance cover underground?

Your lucky he didn't get killed.

Sorry for the rant, but from your comments about what you should do to him, tells me that you don't understand the ramifications of what happened on that day.

In the U.S., that day could have cost you $70,000 or more in violations.

In reality it still can, more than likely he's going to seek medical attention for his twisted leg or hurt back.

Gravel Rat
10-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Oh your in deep now you better hope you don't have to go through WCB or you will be hurting.

WCB is going to question you about why trench shoring wasn't used or why the trench caved in etc.

You better settle with the guy in person because if he puts in a workers comp claim then they will want to investigate your company etc. You really don't want that to happen because WCB can grill you like a chunk of meat.

turboawd
10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
3.5' deep?? well how much dirt fell in?
and if its only a twisted leg(sprain), try to not get comp involved.

SiteSolutions
10-18-2007, 09:50 PM
I didn't think shoring was required on a trench less than 4 feet deep.

Any trench I dig that deep / deeper gets the sides stepped back a good bit.

Construct'O
10-18-2007, 10:06 PM
The lucky part i guess he didn't get buried worse.If i have new help,and starting them i do the connections,then it's my rear if things goes bad.

Boy just 3.5 ft.deep and caved ,you must really be working in crap!

Hopefully he will be okay and think of it as a learning experience,on down the road.

As far as his fault i wouldn't be blameing him for what happened for sure! I would be trying to tell him the what ifs,before it happened,again.Good luck!

ksss
10-18-2007, 10:17 PM
That must have been some really loose soil. OSHA says bank slope or shoring must be used over 5' however if the soil conditions are such that a cave in is likely then it really does not matter how deep the trench is. The "competent" person on scene has to inspect the trench to determine its level of safety. The competent person is someone who has been trained to evaluate the trench for safety. Bad deal it may get ugly. There are guys here that would exploit that to the very end.

GradeMan
10-20-2007, 08:13 AM
The soil really sucked, this guy funny enough is in the labour union. He has more safety training then afed. The guy was just day dreaming having a smoke.

I also stepped back the sides aswell, but the area has a high water table, Our rules here don't require shoring until 4 ft deep.

Anyways buddy came back to work friday and seemed alright, and guess what,he even said he was sorry for the whole mess.

RockSet N' Grade
10-20-2007, 09:25 AM
And we all live another day......What you experienced will happen to all of us at one time or another if you remain in the game long enough. It is one of my fears (among a large list). No matter how safe you access the situation, something can always go sideways and rarely does it happen on your terms or when you are ready. I am glad for you and buddy that all seems to be well at this point. I decided quite some time ago that I would not go to a job and do a job alone with my equipment. I always go with my laborer, even if he is not perceived as being needed, just for my own piece of mind should anything happen to me while working. For a few bucks an hour more, whether I pay or the customer pays, having someone there watching out for my interests and having another set of eyes on the job has worked well for me. I will say it again and again and again.........safety safety safety.