PDA

View Full Version : Severely Overgrown Yard

mark_the_psycho
10-18-2007, 09:00 PM
One of my customers has part of his yard severly overgrown (I'm talking chest high). He has a John Deere 740 (I think) tractor with a 60 inch midmount deck. I can raise it up to about 6 inches. Is it ok to cut it with this, he says it's been done before, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

mattfromNY
10-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Personally, I would never use someone else's equipment. Murphys law says it will break, and it will be expensive.
I would rather rent a walk behind brush cutter, and pass the cost along to the customer.
Hope it helps,
Matt.

NC Greenscaper
10-18-2007, 09:04 PM
The Operative words you used was its his tractor. Keep it trottle up at least 540 RPM and geared down. Take your time you should be fine. Chest high on me is three and half feet LOL.

mark_the_psycho
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I am his groundskeeper, I always use his equipment, he has 4 acres and something tells me my 1984 30in Yazoo Red Rider won't cut it. The only thing I'm not sure about is what to do about all the clippings, I did about 3 passes on it the other day and the amount of clippings was epic, you couldnt even see the ground.

Runner
10-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah,..It can be done. Don't expect a clean cut, because you will have ALOT of layover. Cut it, starting on the inside and spiral counterclockwise - layering the stuff over to the outside. Then, start from the inside,and spiral clockwise,...working your way to the outside. Let dry, then cut lower.