PDA

View Full Version : How much of your bid is profit?

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Every have a prospect ask you this question?

bmwsmity
10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Nope. I'd tell them 0% if they asked that. :laugh:

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
No, not yet

irrig8r
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd tell em: "Enough to keep me in business and ensure that you'll always get the best service I can possibly provide."

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 09:33 PM
That's what I was asked today by e-mail. I said no way to determine profit until project is over and I do not disclose that information. First time I can ever remember being asked.

Chilehead
10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
When asked that question I kindly reply,"I don't reveal that number to anyone. Thank you for understanding."

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-19-2007, 09:17 AM
There is Profit and then there is Profit. I have never been directly asked this by a client before but I have had many who want to know about the financial state and security of my business. So I do know how to handle this....With INTEGRITY.

Too many might be tempted to talk about the Gross profit from the one job in question. To talk on this point with anyone would be fool hardy. You may however be positioned well to talk about your Net profit. (most of my clients come from business and financial services sector... they like to talk about money.... and they like to understand the financial health of your organization before committing to major contracts)

Your net profit is what you earn after ALL of your expenses have been deducted. Too few small business owners have a handle on what their net profit really is. Many would be surprised at the number if they took the time to figure this out and express it as a percentage of revenue.

One good exercise is to take your last years books and add up all the soft costs (phone, insurance, truck, tools, advertising, safety gear, etc etc) for the entire year. Then figure out how many days you were open for business. Now divide the number of days open for business into your total gross soft costs. This gives you your cost of operation per day... essentially what it costs you to open the door every morning. Now you have a powerful tool.....

Lets say your cost of operations is $200 per day. (I wish) Open your quotes with a line item which accounts for the number of days you will spend on the job. 3 day job x $200 cost of operation = $600. Now you know you have covered your costs of operation no matter what. Continue on with your standard system quote....

This little tool can greatly help your business succeed over the long haul and ensure that your % of net profit at the end of the year increases to a sustainable point.

JoeyD
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I owuld tell them that I do not make a penny. I donate everything i make to my wife.

Ron Marston
10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
any common person would know that any bissness needs a profit i would have told him to ask mcd's about ther profit on ther fake .5cent bergers lol

klkanders
10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Joey, I do hope you get a weekly allowance? :laugh:
:drinkup:
Better start saving up for the AOLP conference!

JoeyD
10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
LOL.......Whats mine is hers and whats hers is hers.........LOL........What she odesnt know is that I really make about 15% more every month!!! I have my ways!

sprinkler guy
10-21-2007, 01:13 AM
LOL.......Whats mine is hers and whats hers is hers.........LOL........What she odesnt know is that I really make about 15% more every month!!! I have my ways!

My wife has been saying the same thing for years. Thank the good lord some customers like to pay cash.

klkanders
10-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Joey, Shhhhh Don't you know your wife can google you? Thats another 15% for her. :) Time for a new plan.