PDA

View Full Version : I'd like a bid.......

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I want someone to come out to give me an estimate for landscape lighting. I don't want the best as our home doesn't call for that. We are only gathering information right now and don't make decisions fast.

After probing further you realize they are probably not a good fit for your company.
Do you refer them to your marketing? ie website
Do you go out and meet knowing there is no chance of closing and they are shopping around
Do you refer them to a competitor that may be better suited to their needs?

or what?

Go Halogen
10-18-2007, 10:11 PM
See how serious they are........Tell them you will help make their mind up.
$150 to come out and set up a 6-8 fixture demo (if they are local). If they go with you then the money goes toward the total bill.

Demos are not so bad, if you keep them small. The days are getting shorter, so its not the late night hours adjusting.

Andy

bmwsmity
10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd still meet with them face to face. You have to think that most other people are gonna blow someone like this off, or give them a high price to get them off their back. Even if they dont buy right then, they will remember you as the nice guy who gave them some good info and CONSULTED them about their best options.

I had someone call me to just buy the fixtures to do it themselves. I said I'd be happy to meet with them and go over all the fixtures and their options. They said they'd get back to me. A couple weeks later, they called me up and I met them to give them a price on installing it.

They had a lower-end home, but wound up getting a 9-light all brass Unique system with plenty capacity to do more down the road. Wound up they were given a quote from a landscaper who was doing their pavers. The guy was trying to totally knock their heads off, so I won the job.

You never know. Sometimes people just really have no idea what they're looking for.

This is one reason why I have the question "Is this your first time buying landscape lighting?" on my contact form on my website.

JoeyD
10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I would explain to them that you really dont do any installations for less then say $2k or $3k. If that doesnt freak them out then it should be a worhtwhile trip.