PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler Control Stickers?

EagleLandscape
10-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, on alot of my repairs for new customers I run into the standard sticker that Choate or Cgreen left inside the timer door, and rip them off as fast as I can.

Does anyone else use stickers to remind people of your company? If so, where did you get them and how much? I searched the internet for some over-the-net-companies, but couldn't find anything that size.

jerryrwm
10-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Check the NEBS catalog. Used to get them from them at a pretty reasonable price if I recall.

DanaMac
10-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I used to, but not anymore. Just got tired of buying them and putting them on. Plus if the customers move, then the next people call up asking too many questions about why the system doesn't cover properly and think that we installed it because the sticker is there.

Flow Control
10-19-2007, 05:49 AM
We try to put them on every clock, I just got new ones made. I get mine at office max. I splurged this time to get smudge and weather proof ones in color. I think 2k for $500 or so.

koster_irrigation
10-19-2007, 06:25 AM
i put them on every controller. very helpful because people move all the time.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Well, on alot of my repairs for new customers I run into the standard sticker that Choate or Cgreen left inside the timer door, and rip them off as fast as I can.

Does anyone else use stickers to remind people of your company? If so, where did you get them and how much? I searched the internet for some over-the-net-companies, but couldn't find anything that size.

John John John Don't tear the competitors sticker off. It helps give the service history of the system. I proudly display my silver thick NEBS sticker right next to theirs. Just bought 500 more cost me YIKES 206.00. www.nebs.com product # 1510-1. I've showed up at jobs in which they had to call somebody else on a previous service need because I was too backed up to find a competitor sticker placed over mine. So I'll ask the customer "How was so and so's service call?" Always an interesting discussion. Then a put a new sticker on underneath my old sticker that has been covered by my competitors sticker. I've also had competitors steal the pigtails off the clocks.

Kiril
10-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Contact info on irrigation schedule only here, no stickers.

bobw
10-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I was looking for some static cling type labels this spring for doing this. I figure it'd be the best of both worlds... gives a contact label and doesn't permanently mar the controller.

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I proudly display my silver thick NEBS sticker right next to theirs. Just bought 500 more cost me YIKES 206.00. www.nebs.com product # 1510- .

Same ones I used; adds a touch of class & handy when the house sells.
If I was doing it again, I'd ad cell & e mail #s.

BrandonV
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
i ordered mine from http://www.stickerrobot.com full color bling bling

irrig8r
10-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Got mine at Drawing Board Printing.

http://www.drawingboard.com/ItemDisplay.aspx?categoryid=6691

I also have a lamination machine, and use an MS Word template with a table to make their schedule and include my logo and contact info, either to hang next to the clock, in a shed or garage, or sized to fit inside for outdoor mount.

Besides in clocks, I use my stickers on backflow preventers, lighting transformers and even PRVs. It's weatherproof coated mylar.

jimmyburg
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Did you ask your customer why they called you and not the other guys?

EagleLandscape
10-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I do alot of door hanger deals, and thats where most of the calls come from.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Stickers= a great way OWN the Controller and mark your territory. Around cape it seems like we are all taking accounts from each other left and right..

its getting nasty on cape right now..Guys jacking and robbing accounts left and right...Out of 80+ blow outs we did this week we went to an easy 10 accounts that were already blown out, with a new sticker....There is one company around here bad mouthing us to get our customers....

Its getting nasty.....oh well....

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 04:20 PM
How many players on the Cape, Eddie?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
How many players on the Cape, Eddie?

well biggest guy VIOLA has 32 guys working for him on irriagtion and pools.And they know how to do both..3 every day service techs..10 trucks with 185 cfm compressors. Viola has 1800 accounts...he calls himself the"capes leader in irrigation" What a joke..The guy has back stabbed us on may accounts..So we do the same to his.They have 1800 accounts and prob install 150 big-uns a year.

I would say there are 10 outfits with 1000+ accounts on cape

and about 20 or so companies like us with 500+ accounts.

And God knows how many companies with just 100 or under accounts....

My guess there are 40 easy irrigation companies you could call in the yellow pages..no lie...

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Good gosh all mity that's a grip of competition!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Good gosh all mity that's a grip of competition!

And thats being nice and generous..There is prob more..Everyone agrees one day irrigation on the cape is going to be a complete service industry..One day all the systems are going to be put in on cape cod.So its a matter of accounts you have.More accounts=more service work and add ons....its the wave of the future..

Also there are about 10 immigrant crews and some White Boys that will under bid any reputable contractor to get a job..One guy we were competeing with over like 80 accounts in a nice H/O association all literally next to each other..

he was charging 6 $ a zone...my boss told the H/O president to stay with him because we can't touch it..

Sad really.

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Cape has not seen the "remodel by excavator" that we are seeing...meaning
new plantings + irrigation?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Cape has not seen the "remodel by excavator" that we are seeing...meaning
new plantings + irrigation?

Well we have title V septic systems that are constantly being upgraded..Actually this one monkey ripped up all of our 3/4 poly pipe and valves in the ground...I mean he demoed it...

long story short> MOnday I will be doing a "redesign by excavator"

Which is nice cause I'm sick of blowing out systems...as of right now.

irrig8r
10-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Stickers= a great way OWN the Controller and mark your territory. Around cape it seems like we are all taking accounts from each other left and right..

its getting nasty on cape right now..Guys jacking and robbing accounts left and right...Out of 80+ blow outs we did this week we went to an easy 10 accounts that were already blown out, with a new sticker....There is one company around here bad mouthing us to get our customers....

Its getting nasty.....oh well....

You sure know how to hijack a thread....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 06:20 PM
You sure know how to hijack a thread....

HA!!!!!!!

true story..

I do the same thing to my competitors accounts..jk

well kinda.

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
::creeps away from hijacked thread::

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 06:26 PM
::creeps away from hijacked thread::

::follows mike::

Ground Master
10-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Everyone seems to hijack threads. There are even some that get P'O' if they can't participate in the hijacked threads topic............Go figure.......:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Everyone seems to hijack threads. There are even some that get P'O' if they can't participate in the hijacked threads topic............Go figure.......:)

::misses sarcasm::

Dennis Spencer
10-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Local print shop made these came in a roll 500 maybe more. Started three years ago and still have some left. One thing i have learned now is not to order to so many at once. As now i see were to make changes.

Mike Leary
10-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Local print shop made these came in a roll 500 maybe more. Started three years ago and still have some left. One thing i have learned now is not to order to so many at once. As now i see were to make changes.

Dumb company name award this week goes to.:rolleyes:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Age not taketh away thy acerbic wit.:clapping: :bday:

irrig8r
10-21-2007, 04:26 PM

What was dumb about it? :confused:

Mike Leary
10-21-2007, 04:29 PM
What was dumb about it? :confused:

"Sprinklers + lawn water irrigation", maybe that's better.:rolleyes:
I'd say a tad redundant....:hammerhead:

irrig8r
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Well, I liked his logo....
And sometimes a name like that just reinforces the idea in the customer's mind...
just like his logo does...over and over...

So maybe sometimes redundancy is a good thing...

I mean, NASA embraces it as a concept, right?

Mike Leary
10-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, I liked his logo....
And sometimes a name like that just reinforces the idea in the customer's mind...
just like his logo does...over and over...

So maybe sometimes redundancy is a good thing...

I mean, NASA embraces it as a concept, right?

::creeps out of thread vowing to invent classy names & sell them on the net::

EagleLandscape
10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Crappy controller too:)

EagleLandscape
10-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking about starting a landscape lighting company, how about this name?

nighttime illumination landscape lighting for lighting up plants that are in the landscape with lights at night, LLC?

Do you like?

I figured I would need a 53' 18-wheeler so I can get enough space for my vinyl lettering...

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking about starting a landscape lighting company, how about this name?

nighttime illumination landscape lighting for lighting up plants that are in the landscape with lights at night, LLC?

Do you like?

I figured I would need a 53' 18-wheeler so I can get enough space for my vinyl lettering...

:: passes out::

RedWingsDet
10-22-2007, 01:18 AM
I had some made at 11pm saturday from my sign guy since i was doing my first blowout of the season at 8am sunday. So they were not the best, but they were great for the time period given to my sign guy.

My stickers were about the size of a business card, btw: i am a landscape company this is my first year doing installs, second doing small repairs, and first doing blowouts. However I have an expierenced guy that helps me who has been doing this for 15 years, and another plumber that i can call 24/7 for anything else.

Long story short my stickers said

"Company Name Landscaping"
"and Irrigation"
"Installation & Repair"
"For Service Call:"
(555) 555-5555

I only have about 50 or so blowouts and this sticker thing was a rush thing, but for the spring I am thinking:

"Company Logo"
"Irrigation Service and Repair"
"(555) 555-555"

Sound about right? Should I get a business card size, or a real small size?

Thanks Fellas.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
I had some made at 11pm saturday from my sign guy since i was doing my first blowout of the season at 8am sunday. So they were not the best, but they were great for the time period given to my sign guy.

My stickers were about the size of a business card, btw: i am a landscape company this is my first year doing installs, second doing small repairs, and first doing blowouts. However I have an expierenced guy that helps me who has been doing this for 15 years, and another plumber that i can call 24/7 for anything else.

Long story short my stickers said

"Company Name Landscaping"
"and Irrigation"
"Installation & Repair"
"For Service Call:"
(555) 555-5555

I only have about 50 or so blowouts and this sticker thing was a rush thing, but for the spring I am thinking:

"Company Logo"
"Irrigation Service and Repair"
"(555) 555-555"

Sound about right? Should I get a business card size, or a real small size?

Thanks Fellas.
Look good to me. Just pay a little extra to get high end looking labels. Weatherproof ones are great as well.

londonrain
10-22-2007, 08:59 AM
My stickers are simple - yellow with black letters

FOR SERVICE CALL
LONDON RAIN
Tel #

londonrain
10-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Crappy controller too:)
Nothing wrong with a pro-c.....

Wet_Boots
10-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I remember 'sticker wars' with a bigger sticker overlaid on a smaller one. When an Imperial Valet was the controller of choice, I was going to get some of those solvent-applied metal name plates used on the expensive pieces of electronic equipment. I then decided the extra money was better spent on beer.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-22-2007, 09:40 AM
One well known company in these parts came out with a giant sticker that peeled in tiny strips. On one job I did they had been at on a previous occasion they stuck their sticker on the see through plate that allowed the controller programming to be seen without sliding the cover off. The old wmtic plastic manual controller. Very obnoxious and I did not hesitate to show it to the customer.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Why I like all stickers left on.
For example on these two company stickers depending what part of town I find it in. I know that a Choate sticker means they installed it. Someone told me that before they switched to Hunter they bought 50% of the 1804s sold in the Dallas area. May be exaggerating but they do a lot of work. I also know the system will need major modifications to be even some what decent. I know that their valves will gouped in pairs in 6" boxes. The landscape will out grow their system within 1-2 years. I know that his pipe will be shallow and that all the heads will be f piped in below the pvc pipe. A common problem on their systems is that the heads have a tendency to come out of the ground due to short f pipe runs. Choate to me means OVERHAUL. I can tell a first time customer all the problems beforehand and then show them how accurate I am.

CGreen is all over the map. Service and installs. Some good some bad. Requires a closer look before evaluating.

Basically that is why I like stickers left on and just add yours below. Also if I know the contractor and have a question then I'll call them and see if they can help with a troubleshoot or how they installed it.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Well said Peter....besides stickers, I can look in a clock or valve box & pretty
well know if this is fixable or a can of worms.:cry: payup

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Well said Peter....besides stickers, I can look in a clock or valve box & pretty
well know if this is fixable or a can of worms.:cry: payup

very true...

I can tell who installed the job just by the wiring code or lack there of on a take over.
Green common=been doing irrigation on cape for over 15 years
white common=New school installer..
Some guy tried to convince me that there was an IA code for wiring..I have never seen it,which don't mean it's not there..

My companies wiring code is pretty easy....I can open any of OUR valve boxes and jump wires or figure out which is going where and to what.

Wet_Boots
10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
There is an EIA color code (http://badgerbadgerbadger.com/), which is obvious enough

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey boots..

i have a altered version of said badgers.

its some what explicit...

Wet_Boots
10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Okay, the real EIA color code is the one that goes on resistors and suchlike.
http://www.create-online.net/Tutorials/EIA_Color-Code_2/eia_colorcode_chart.htm

You can see on why White = Common and Black = Master Valve would follow, since the other eight colors correlate to the numbers one through eight, on a ten-conductor cable. Less than eight conductors, though, and the correlation breaks down, since wire-and-cable color choices always seem to start with white and red (or maybe white and black) on a two-conductor cable.

I think I've seen that naughty badger somewhere.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 02:18 PM
The reason I don't mix different size conductor wires...too easy to get the colors screwed up, as in a splice. White has been common ever since I started, tho
I've seen every other!:dizzy:

jimmyburg
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I do alot of door hanger deals, and thats where most of the calls come from.

Did you here that GPE went out of business, maybe you can pick up there leftovers.:clapping:

EagleLandscape
10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Who's GPE? Well I guess I'm oldschool on the wiring. All 14g UF wire, white for common, and red for zone wires. I guess I just do it the right way, more expensive, but right.:)

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Who's GPE? Well I guess I'm oldschool on the wiring. All 14g UF wire, white for common, and red for zone wires. I guess I just do it the right way, more expensive, but right.:)

Ah yes. "old school", like the system a backhoe went thru at a commercial
site...90 strands ALL red..let the tracking fun begin! Unless you've gobs of
distance between clock & valves...multi strand multi color is the way to go, unless you're color blind. There is no "right way" for wire , only preferences.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
very true...

I can tell who installed the job just by the wiring code or lack there of on a take over.
Some guy tried to convince me that there was an IA code for wiring..I have never seen it,which don't mean it's not there..

My companies wiring code is pretty easy....I can open any of OUR valve boxes and jump wires or figure out which is going where and to what.

Very interesting Rotar. Same can be said here. I see red used for common on old Toro systems and I'm wondering if that was in their original teaching manuals. 95%+ are white common. When I service a system and see 14 or 16 ga single strand I have a much higher confidence factor of the original installer. If I have to repair wires 18 ga uf multi strand is definitely easier to troubleshoot and deal with. We carry 500' 16ga white 500'16ga red and 18-13 UF for service work.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I like to keep my wiring creative & switch colors as mood dictates..sometimes
yellow looks much more pleasing next to purple.:rolleyes:
One thing I do...(common is white always) is never wire brown, lt. brown,
grey & black in a row...too hard for these old bi focaled eyes to differentiate.

jerryrwm
10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
I like to keep my wiring creative & switch colors as mood dictates..sometimes
yellow looks much more pleasing next to purple.:rolleyes:
One thing I do...(common is white always) is never wire brown, lt. brown,
grey & black in a row...too hard for these old bi focaled eyes to differentiate.then if you throw a green in next to the purple and yellow you got the Mardi Gras spirit.

White has been common in the irrigation patch for as long as I can remember. Colors in a set sequence have never been an issue especially when using all red, as many do, for the zone wires. Electricity is color blind and a good multimeter helps you sort 'em out. Because the system you are working on was installed by someone who doesn't follow some obscure wiring color sequence and you'll go blind trying to figure them out.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 05:10 PM
then if you throw a green in next to the purple and yellow you got the Mardi Gras spirit.

See see! Who says sprinkler guys aren't sensitive & creative?

irrig8r
10-22-2007, 05:15 PM
very true...

I've been using white as the common wire since 1983. A green common here usually means a DIY or "amigo" install.

I use Scotch number tape on my wires. Especially when I encounter a bundle of single color #14.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 05:30 PM
The number tape is at the top of the list for us no attention span types.