PDA

View Full Version : Working after dark

Fieldman12
10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I have had to run the loader several times after dark. The lights on it are pretty good. I try not to do it unless I have to but the times I have done it I have had good results. Anyone else run after dark?

kreft
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Only In the winter months.

Scag48
10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
All the time. About 3 years ago I was doing some work running dirt about 15 miles one way to a dump site. Problem was, between the dump site and the job they were paving the highway, no other way around. The delays were huge. So I started at 4:30 AM, trucked until 7 when the paving crew started, went to another job for the rest of the day, then came back at 7PM and finshed up at about 9. Didn't seem to mind using the lights on the skid steer at all, they work pretty well.

Even better than that story was my large undertaking of an orchard removal that I did on the weekends between school. I'd start at noon on Friday, work until 10 or 11, go home, start at 5 on Saturday morning and keep going until about 10 or 11 that night, start at 5 on Sunday and go to about 4, then drive 160 miles back to college. I had one Saturday where I started at 4 and went until 1:30 Sunday morning. I have quite a few hours of running our 312 in the dark. Lights are pretty adequate and we didn't even have a right side boom light, just 2 cab mounted, left side boom, and one on the right side of the upper body. If you look at forestry equipped machine or anything running in a mine that's intended to run 24 hours a day, they have much more auxiliary lighting. If I planned to run an excavator in the dark, definately 2 more cab mounted lights, maybe 2 on the right side of the boom would be good, and a couple pointing to the rear of the machine.