PDA

View Full Version : Leaf loader pics

mosmgras
10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Put the box on today and snapped a few pics. Tomorrow I'm adding a solid top (with a vent) to try and cut down on the dust a little. Comments?

Petr51488
10-19-2007, 08:05 PM
I assume you use that trailer for other purposes? Thats a little overkill for leaves lol. Nice though.

mosmgras
10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Yea...

I use the trailer to deliver materials to my job sites. I was in need of a leaf set-up, so I used what I already had. As it is, it holds about 16 cu. yds. of leaves.

New Heights
10-20-2007, 12:02 AM
looks good but, why didnt you mount the vac on the goose neck out of the way?

mosmgras
10-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I thought about a front mount. I liked the idea of the rear mount for a couple of reasons. One, it's simple. With the loader mounted on the tailgate, the entire unit lifts off in one piece. Two, on the front mounts I've seen, there is some type of connection, either soft hose or a flange. It has to be this way because the box lifts away from the loader. Not having any experience with either design, I thought the rear mount would eliminate the removable connection thus eliminating a possible problem area, although, I have seen many front mount set-up's that seem to work well.

Either way, it works. I haven't found it to ever be in the way. Backing is as simple as backing the trailer alone. The hose stores on the passengers side, hanging on a series of rubber straps. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to set-up and away we go.

deere615
10-21-2007, 12:17 AM
looks nice thats a big trailer.

n2ma
10-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Did you take off the rear gate of the dump, then add a taller rear door? From the pics it looks like the entire reare swings up when dumping. Do you have some kind of assist on the door to keep the door up while dumping?

mosmgras
10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Yea...

The box has it's own door. It does hinge at the top. When dumping, the door swings open part-way on it's own. As the leaf 'brick' starts to slide out, I drive forward and the door rides up onto the leaves. I know it's empty when the door falls.

n2ma
10-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Yea...

The box has it's own door. It does hinge at the top. When dumping, the door swings open part-way on it's own. As the leaf 'brick' starts to slide out, I drive forward and the door rides up onto the leaves. I know it's empty when the door falls.

The reason I ask is I have the double barn doors on our leaf trailer. The top 4' is plywood door with hinge like yours. The Door does swing up when dumping. The leaf log does spill out fine. The door just drags the top of it.
That is a great leaf trailer. Our vac is mounted to the toungue. This year I wanted to use the 2" square tubes on the door to slide a 2x2 piece of wood in. This way the door opens like a big barn door and the leaves should spill out a little better.
Here is a pic of ours.

n2ma
10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
The front view of the loader

Supper Grassy
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
looks good how long of atrailer is that?

mosmgras
10-23-2007, 07:55 PM
looks good how long of atrailer is that?

It's 14' x 6.5' x 5' tall with the box. The trailer has a GVWR of 14k. I know, I know... a little much for leaves, but it's what I had. I've been thinking about building a lighter trailer for leaves that I can pull behind my NPR. Maybe a 6' x 12' dump with 6' sides? We'll see. If I can pull off some decent profits this season, I can make it happen.

By the way. I did a little experiment this morning. I weighed some leaves. (exciting huh?) Anyway, here's what I found:

I collected a sample of mixed hardwood leaves from my trailer. It rained lastnight so the leaves were wet. I took the sample and ran a garden hose over them for a few minutes to ensure they were completely soaked. 1 cubic yard of these leaves weighed 220 lbs. The way I see it, this is the heaviest they could ever be. That being said a 6' x 6' x 12' load (16 cu. yds. ) would weigh around 3520 lbs. Add the weight of the trailer, something around 2000 lbs. empty, and a pair of 3500 lb. axles would hold up great.

Anyone with information/comments please chime in...

n2ma
10-24-2007, 01:33 AM
It's 14' x 6.5' x 5' tall with the box. The trailer has a GVWR of 14k. I know, I know... a little much for leaves, but it's what I had. I've been thinking about building a lighter trailer for leaves that I can pull behind my NPR. Maybe a 6' x 12' dump with 6' sides? We'll see. If I can pull off some decent profits this season, I can make it happen.

By the way. I did a little experiment this morning. I weighed some leaves. (exciting huh?) Anyway, here's what I found:

I collected a sample of mixed hardwood leaves from my trailer. It rained lastnight so the leaves were wet. I took the sample and ran a garden hose over them for a few minutes to ensure they were completely soaked. 1 cubic yard of these leaves weighed 220 lbs. The way I see it, this is the heaviest they could ever be. That being said a 6' x 6' x 12' load (16 cu. yds. ) would weigh around 3520 lbs. Add the weight of the trailer, something around 2000 lbs. empty, and a pair of 3500 lb. axles would hold up great.

Anyone with information/comments please chime in...

Those are good numbers to know. Our trailer is also 14' and 14,000lbs. When full it will hold almost 20 yards. Empty or loaded it pulls almost the same. I have also thought of building a dedicated leaf trailer with 12000lb axle setup and 16' long. Using 8' expanded metal sides.