PDA

View Full Version : How to write up invoice for bed cleanup?

iamthelawnbarber
10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a mowing client who wants her flower beds cleaned up, weeded & possibly edged to put down mulch next spring. She also wants her trees trimmed-about 6, and some small momosa trees removed. She's not sure she can afford to have all the work done at once and asked me to break down the invoice so she can just do what she can afford for now. How do I do that? I had a client at the beginning of the season who wanted a bed edged, grass planted, etc and when I broke down the invoice, she just picked out the cheapest things to have done & I lost money on the job. I don't want that to happen again, but I don't want to overcharge this client-she is a good customer. If someone can post an example for me on how to write this up I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

mattfromNY
10-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Break down you invoice into line items 'per man hour' and give your best accurate ESTIMATE. Estimate a little high. Now, if you are there for one hour, you know you made your hourly rate, and if you tell her 4 hours and you get it done in 3, you're a hero. Weeding is really hard for me to estimate, somehow I never seem to 'See' all the weeds until I start pulling them, and then sometimes they are really stubborn, and then my lower back starts hurting, and then...... I just hate weeding flowerbeds.

loom-gen
10-23-2007, 09:28 PM
List all the things you have to do and Itemize them with a price for yourself. weeds can be done by the hour or by the foot or by the full bag. Convince the client that the best time to mulch is right after you pull the weeds and the best time to edge is prior to applying mulch. The momosas will require work and can be done any time but the trees may need to be pruned during dormancy or after a flowering stage. this will save the client from having to pay all at once, but set a spacific date when you will do the trees. this way when the time comes, you can just do the job without asking the client if they want it done again. Asking them if they want it done again will give them a way out.