PDA

View Full Version : Grease??

cat2
10-20-2007, 07:07 PM
What brand of grease does everyone use?

Fieldman12
10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
I will have to say I always use name brand oil and mostly a certain brand but for grease I have never had an issue with just using grease from TSC or Farm Fleet. Im sure someone will shoot me down for that but never had an issue. I have used Deere, Cat, and Case IH brand grease also.

cat2
10-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I get my grease from TSC too. What is the name of the stuff you get? Well what color is it?

cat2
10-20-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking about trying a different brand, because on my bobcat the grease doens't seem to be sticking to the pins very good, there for they are wearing faster. What is the proper way to check pin wear? Have the bucket level about 4inches off the ground and put a jack under there and jack it up and while you're doing that see how much play there is?:confused:

Fieldman12
10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I would have to look at the name and right now Im about an hour from the barn. I just use the (multi-purpose dark brown) grease. I though about buying different grease but from the machines that I have used the other stuff on I could not really tell that much difference. The only place I have any wear and need replacement pins and bushings is where the bucket curls. The two top pins need replaced there. Actually I priced the two pins, bushings and to fix the lower part but not really needed yet while at Deere this morning. Parts where like $97.00 bucks. The rest seems as tight as any other Deere that is knew. It has a little boom sway at times but like I said not any more than a new one.

Fieldman12
10-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Seems like all of them no matter what brand wears out at the bucket curl first.

dozerman21
10-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I use Traveller brand from TSC. I get the Premium grease that is red. I used to the the regular black grease, but I like the red better because it's thicker, and I think it holds longer before it runs out or rubs in.

Having said that, greasing on a regular basis is much more important than which grease that you use. The main thing is that the pins and bushings have lubricant.

Fieldman12
10-20-2007, 08:17 PM
That's the brand I use (Traveller). That has been what I found that is more important to grease on a regular basis than the type you use.

Gravel Rat
10-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Nothing but Chevron grease next in line would be Red Ram then Esso

The Chevron grease is Chevron Ultra-duty EP NLGI 0,1,2

Chevron Ultra-Duty Greases EP deliver value through:
• High shock load protection
• High load-carrying protection
• High corrosion and rust protection — Chevron
Ultra-Duty Greases EP pass the ASTM D 1743
bearing corrosion test.
• High water resistance
• Extended service lubrication

ksss
10-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I use Case/IH grease in the red tube. Works as well as anything else including synthetics I have tried.

Gravel Rat
10-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Grease is cheap parts are not so buy cases of it and use lots of it.

cat2
10-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Well since more people than I thought use the same grease I do. I will keep using it, and grease more often, Well maybe not, I don't think I could. I grease it very well.:laugh:

Fieldman12
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
My dad thinks I grease too much but like others have said on here it is cheaper than parts.

maintenanceguy
10-20-2007, 10:02 PM
In this particular application, regular grease won't work. The pressure between the pin and journal are too great and just squeeze the grease out of the way. Most grease is made for rotating bearings with very little side pressure and high rotational speed. Because of the high rotating speed, grease is able to form a hydrodynamic film between parts, the same way a water skier skips across the surface of a lake.

Your pin doesn't rotate fast enough to develop a hydrodynamic film of oil and the pressure is so great that the grease is just being pressed out resulting in metal to metal contact and therefore abrasive wear.

You need a grease with two unique properties. First you need something that can handle the pressure. This will be a grease with an EP designation for "Extreme Pressure". These greases have solid lubricants added such as tiny particles of graphite or teflon. There are a couple of other solid lubricants used with longer names that I can't remember. The solid particles can support the load without oozing out of the bearing.

The second thing you need is a grease that's sticky enough to stay put. See if you can find a grease with an aluminum based soap. Grease is made of oil mixed with soap or thickener. The most common are lithium or calcium based. Aluminum based greases are sticky, really, really sticky.

Lots of companies specialize in industrial lubricants and can get exactly what you want. The closest thing I can think of is 5th wheel grease. This grease is usually aluminum based and has solid lubricants included. The application is almost exactly the same as yours, slow (very slow) rotating speeds and heavy loading.

cat2
10-20-2007, 10:06 PM
In this particular application, regular grease won't work. The pressure between the pin and journal are too great and just squeeze the grease out of the way. Most grease is made for rotating bearings with very little side pressure and high rotational speed. Because of the high rotating speed, grease is able to form a hydrodynamic film between parts.

Your pin doesn't rotate fast enough to develop a hydrodynamic film of oil and the pressure is so great that the grease is just being pressed out resulting in metal to metal contact and therefore abrasive wear.

You need a grease with two unique properties. First you need something that can handle the pressure. This will be a grease with an EP designation for "Extreme Pressure". These greases have solid lubricants added such as tiny particles of graphite or teflon. There are a couple of other solid lubricants used with longer names that I can't remember. The solid particles can support the load without oozing out of the bearing.

The second thing you need is a grease that's sticky enough to stay put. See if you can find a grease with an aluminum based soap. Grease is made of oil mixed with soap or thickener. The most common are lithium or calcium based. Aluminum based greases are sticky, really, really sticky.

Lots of companies specialize in industrial lubricants and can get exactly what you want. The closest thing I can think of is 5th wheel grease. This grease is usually aluminum based and has solid lubricants included. The application is almost exactly the same as yours, slow (very slow) rotating speeds and heavy loading.

Hey sounds like you have this all figured out. What you said about the pressure pushing the grease out is exactly what I was thinking too

grassmanvt
10-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Grease is cheap parts are not so buy cases of it and use lots of it.

For once I fully agree with you.Also, I usually use amsoil, ran out a little while ago, tried a case of lucas red and tacky.Both seem to be pretty good but, as long as the rigs are greased often, I don't see a huge difference even with the cheaper stuff I used to use.

talus
10-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Just adding my .02. Texas Refinery makes a quality product. The paragon3000 is great stuff. They also have #880 crown and chassis. The #880 is what was recommended for pins and bushings. Their website has all the specs. Hope this helps.

Gravel Rat
10-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Take my truck for example it gets greased alteast once a month where the Ford requirments says every 6 months or something like that.

Excavators and backhoes we grease daily after the day is done your already dirty so might aswell grease the machine.

Scag48
10-21-2007, 03:50 AM
I've used Shell Retinax, wasn't impressed, just wasn't tacky enough and would break down. Schaeffers makes a good grease, a buddy of mine had some and it seemed to work pretty well. Any EP, or extreme pressure is the best stuff to use. Otherwise "regular" grease doesn't hold to the pins.

turfquip
10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
I've been using this one for a couple years now and am satisfied with its performance. It's expensive yes, but when resale time comes around you'll be glad there is minimum wear on the machine, because you invested in good grease from the beginning of the machine's life.
http://www.turfquip.com/238-moly.jpg

perkhound
10-21-2007, 11:42 AM
In this particular application, regular grease won't work. The pressure between the pin and journal are too great and just squeeze the grease out of the way. Most grease is made for rotating bearings with very little side pressure and high rotational speed. Because of the high rotating speed, grease is able to form a hydrodynamic film between parts, the same way a water skier skips across the surface of a lake.

How did you like the Amsoil product I have a friend who is a distributor and trying to get me to try it.

ksss
10-21-2007, 01:26 PM
I am an Amsoil dealer also. I use it in everything. Except the grease. I have tried both grades and not impressed for the money. They make outstanding oils its just the grease does not have the tacky properties I need.

cat2
10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=110

How do you think this grease would be?

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=108

How about this one?

perkhound
10-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I am an Amsoil dealer also. I use it in everything. Except the grease. I have tried both grades and not impressed for the money. They make outstanding oils its just the grease does not have the tacky properties I need.

What do you use then

backhoe1
10-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I use cheap grease, and grease often, except in bearings where I usually use a little better grade. Haven't had to replace any parts that could be attributed to the cheap grease

cat2
10-22-2007, 09:22 PM

How about this one?

Any one check these out? How would they work? Can't find any 5th wheel grease. I will look again:cry:

cat2
10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
It will be between those two, They both seem very good. I need something that is very very very tacky and that won't come off the pin

SiteSolutions
10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I use Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty. It's green. It costs six bucks at the auto parts store. Anybody know where I might get it cheaper?

ksss
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I use the CASE IH grease in the red tube.

cat2
10-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Like today for an example I greased the machine, loaded the spreader a few times. Took about 30 mins, got out to look at the pins and there was no grease on the pins, it was on the side on the bobcat and in the engine compartment:nono: That is the red grease form TSC, so I'm going to get that Valvoline grease and see how that does. No wonder my pins are wearing so fast:cry:

Fieldman12
10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I never have seen any grease brand last very long no matter what the grade.

dozerman21
10-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Like today for an example I greased the machine, loaded the spreader a few times. Took about 30 mins, got out to look at the pins and there was no grease on the pins, it was on the side on the bobcat and in the engine compartment:nono: That is the red grease form TSC, so I'm going to get that Valvoline grease and see how that does. No wonder my pins are wearing so fast:cry:

I doubt a different brand of grease would make any difference. It sounds like either your bushings are turned or in a bind, not letting grease go around the pin. It could also be that it needs more grease when you apply it.

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I always pump the gun until I see some coming out unless it is the sealed type or instructed somewhere not to do that. I see allot of people just give it a few pumps and stop. Grease eventually will work it's way out as you know. Are you pumping it until some comes out?

cat2
10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I always pump the gun until I see some coming out unless it is the sealed type or instructed somewhere not to do that. I see allot of people just give it a few pumps and stop. Grease eventually will work it's way out as you know. Are you pumping it until some comes out?

YES.............. I always pump until grease comes out

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
You could always trade it in for another Deere .:) Just teasing about that. What pins are wearing bad? are you talking about where the boom mounts to the post at the back of the machine? Or are you talking about bucket curl? You have how many hours on it? I know you have said before the hours but I cannot remember. I would not mind running a Bobcat some.

cat2
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
You could always trade it in for another Deere .:) Just teasing about that. What pins are wearing bad? are you talking about where the boom mounts to the post at the back of the machine? Or are you talking about bucket curl? You have how many hours on it? I know you have said before the hours but I cannot remember. I would not mind running a Bobcat some.

Trade it for a Deere:nono: :laugh: :laugh: Yea thats just what I need. No Deere is good. The pins, it seems like all of them are wearing too much. What I may do this weekend is have the bucket flat raise it up 5 inches or so, place a jack under the cutting edge and jack it up it see exactly how much play I have. It has a little over 400 hours Other than that I love the bobcat

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Who was it on here that has a Deere and bobcat? I cannot remember

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 09:47 PM
You may be better off removing the bucket because yo will have some play from where the bucket mounts to the plate.

cat2
10-24-2007, 09:47 PM
me:laugh: .................

cat2
10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Who was it on here that has a Deere and bobcat? I cannot remember

Your not joking are you? I think your talking about me:laugh: :laugh: Could be wrong

cat2
10-24-2007, 09:49 PM
You may be better off removing the bucket because yo will have some play from where the bucket mounts to the plate.

Yes thank you I will have to do that

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 09:49 PM
You still have the Deere?

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, I thought you had the two machines?

cat2
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
You still have the Deere?

yea still have it. Has like around 1,170 hours give or take its a 317

Fieldman12
10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Okay, I thought it was you but when you made the Deere comment I had to second guess myself. LOL

cat2
10-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay, I thought it was you but when you made the Deere comment I had to second guess myself. LOL

I'll tell you what that Jd has been great!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll trade it in at 3,000 hours. Next one may be a 320

cat2
10-30-2007, 09:32 PM

How about this one?

Yea this grease seems to be a little better. Sticks better. This weekend I'll go over to Napa and see what they have. I try to do as much bussiness as possible there

cat2
11-10-2007, 05:30 PM
ok today I got some grease at tractor supply it is called Moly-lithium grease.
Then I got some shell rotella lithium grease ( i think thats the name of it) what one do you think is better, I think the shell rotella is better. I'll have to see

ksss
11-10-2007, 08:06 PM
The NAPA grease sucks. I bought a case of the Deere grease last week. I was out and had to get some bucket teeth and the Deere store was closer than the CASE store. I really like it. It is more tacky than the CASE grease I have been using. I think I will continue to buy it.

Construct'O
11-10-2007, 09:50 PM
The NAPA grease sucks. I bought a case of the Deere grease last week. I was out and had to get some bucket teeth and the Deere store was closer than the CASE store. I really like it. It is more tacky than the CASE grease I have been using. I think I will continue to buy it.

KSSS was the grease green.I changed over to the green Deere grease.It is in a green box with sp multi-purpose.Would have to look to be sure what else it says.

It stayed placed better then the other stuff i was using for sure.

Well went to the pickup and got the box .It is Mutil- Purpose SD Polyurea grease.TY6341

It says !!!!!! Severe-duty,long-lasting grease for high temperature and (note)extreme-pressure applications.

Like you say it tacy.Might not be the best for when it get really cold.I usualy put the grease tubes, and sometimes the greease gun up in the cab of the pickup by the heater when its really cold.

Have to be carefull it can get messy,but sure pumps better:dancing: :usflag:

ksss
11-10-2007, 10:13 PM
The box is kinda gold in color. The grease is messy, sticks to everything which I guess is the idea. I think the grease is kinda pink in color. Your right it might not pump well in the cold. Looks like I will find out shortly as we are in for a weather change. I can't say how happy I am not that everything I own has a cab with heat. It took me a while to get smart.

RockSet N' Grade
11-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Ksss..gonna kinda miss those stories of sub-zero work with no cab in Montana :)

Scag48
11-11-2007, 04:58 AM
Yeah for real, I couldn't do those temps just sitting on a machine. I've been in -15 skiing, but at least you're doing something to keep your body temperature up. I have no problem with super cold temps as long as there's some physical motion to keep the blood flowing. Hell, running a machine without a cab in 20 degree weather sucks, been there, done that.

cat2
11-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking about getting grease from john deere which one would be best?
https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/8180_fb_GreaseSpecialMultiPurpose.htm

I think this would be the best
Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease (TY24416, TY24417, TY24418, CXTY24416, CXTY24417)
Applications
· High-temperature and extreme-pressure grease

· -15 to 350°F (-26 to 177°C)

· Heavy-duty, long-lasting grease

· High-quality grease in heavy-duty applications where lithium greases are recommended or preferred

· For wheel bearings, universal joints, suspension systems, ball joints, and anti-friction plain bearings

· A very good multi-purpose grease

Service ratings
· Meets equipment manufacturers’ extended service interval

· NLGI grade 2

· JDM J13C3, J13C3A, and J13C6

· GC-LB

TY24416

Physical properties
· Amber color

· Lithium-complex thickened

· Formulated to prevent corrosion and water washout

ksss
11-11-2007, 05:31 PM
The HD lithium is the type I tried. I will continue to use it. Impressive so far.

ksss
11-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't know if I am going to the land of 40 below zero weather, kinda doubt it but who knows. If I do I will be warm, that is if everything starts.

cat2
11-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't know if I am going to the land of 40 below zero weather, kinda doubt it but who knows. If I do I will be warm, that is if everything starts.

What did you pay a tube for the grease from john deere

ksss
11-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I honestly don't know I bought a case of it and it was on account (yes I have a JD account) and I never saw the price.

cat2
11-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I honestly don't know I bought a case of it and it was on account (yes I have a JD account) and I never saw the price.

I don't have a JD account how do I get one. Then what do they do send you a bill or something? I no this is a supid question:cry:

Gravel Rat
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Look at the manufacturer of the grease you may find the exact same stuff under the manufactures name.

ksss
11-11-2007, 07:17 PM
You go to the dealer and tell them you want to establish a credit account. They then bill you for your purchases. I have one with Deere, CAT and CASE you can put rentals on the account as well as parts.

Yes the grease is made for Deere/CASE I just look at ease of buying. I happen to be there so I buy it.

qps
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
You go to the dealer and tell them you want to establish a credit account. They then bill you for your purchases. I have one with Deere, CAT and CASE you can put rentals on the account as well as parts.

Yes the grease is made for Deere/CASE I just look at ease of buying. I happen to be there so I buy it.

You have an account at CAT....:weightlifter: :cool2: ...your one step closer to crossing to the dark side....

cat2
11-11-2007, 07:35 PM
You have an account at CAT....:weightlifter: :cool2: ...your one step closer to crossing to the dark side....

:laugh: ...............

cat2
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Need a favor can anyone get the specs on the grease from tractor supply? What to no about the moly grease there

ksss
11-12-2007, 06:58 PM

One never knows when you might need something. It also gets me invited to the CAT customer appreciation lunch in the Summer. They are 3rd or 4th on my list but they are on there.

cat2
11-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Thinking about trying this grease
http://www.stock-number.com/mystic-jt6-grease.php

tamadrummer
11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
What did you pay a tube for the grease from john deere

I use the JD SD (severe duty) grease (just a mower guy) but for a case of the SD, I paid $24.00 + tax for a case.

cat2
11-24-2007, 09:20 PM
How many in a case? 10 I think. Does john deere sell it like in a 50lb tub or something like that. You can get it so much cheaper that way

tamadrummer
11-24-2007, 09:34 PM
How many in a case? 10 I think. Does john deere sell it like in a 50lb tub or something like that. You can get it so much cheaper that way

Yes, 10 per case. I don't know if it is sold in bulk. When I worked in a paper mill we ordered Chevron grease in the big rolling cans with the LP air fittings on them to pump grease.

jjdodgelawncare
11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Amsoil has a Great Grease that we use, its a high temp grease the color is red. One thing that sold us on it was that my grandpa's rider he was using grease that they use on the farm and it would burn or melt and cause it to get sticky and when you turn the pto on it would kill the motor almost and you couldn't cut grass 5 inches high because the blades would be so slow and bog down. I took it home and cleaned out the bearing and put our Amsoil grease in and and ran it for five mins and you could literally hear the difference in sound as the blades start to spin faster. That next day we got called on a lawn to cut that had grass a foot and half high and it mowed it right down. I wish i would have video taped it b/c it really is hard to believe that it would make that much difference. So now Grandpa's farm only uses that grease for there swathers with fast acting motion.

cat2
11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm using this grease now. Do you think it is any good?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_28251_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

ksss
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
The red Amsoil grease may be good for high speed, low pressure applications. I found it unacceptable for low speed high pressure applications. Atleast on the same level of quality I associate the rest of the Amsoil line with.

As far as the TSC grease goes if it does what it needs to then it is probably fine. Typically I have had no luck using their grease (here TSC is CAL Ranch) same with automotive parts stores. I think the grease is cheaper but lacks the quality you see in the OEM branded grease.