PDA

View Full Version : Exmark triton deck. Tried one out myself.!! PICS READ>.

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
hey guys, so i decided to rent an exmark mower for the weekend for fun to cut some of my accounts with,including my yard also. so i rent it for about $100 and picked it up this morning. brought it back, went over it real well. so i start to cut my yard, and its a little wet from heavy dew. this thing cuts pretty awesome but disperses its clippings like $%#@. i keep mowing,:hammerhead: only to find out that it gets worse. im cutting fesue down to 3". this thing is bogging down!!!:dizzy: its got a 31hp vangaurd engine. this is ridiculous. its got a 60" triton also. so im done cutting. and i end up cutting my yard 4 times!!!, just to get it looking a little better, and there is still clumps!!:dizzy: so i end up cutting one other yard with it today, and it still clumps dry grass. so i double cut that yard. i didnt gain any time mowing the yards i did today. so i look under the deck and its just horrible. i dont think ill be buying a triton deck anytime soon. im glad i didnt drop 8K for this mower. and what also sucks was that the levers overlapped eachother, so it was hard to manuever and it sucked....

here are some pics of the mower. theres a few where i have my stuff on it, cause im 14 and i drive the mower around my neighborhood to get to my yards. enjoy....

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 08:54 PM
more......

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 08:58 PM
one more.......................

TheLawnBarber
10-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Well you got poor performance because it's called, "a rental"!

RedMax Man
10-20-2007, 09:10 PM
First its a Rental and often things that are rented can be in not the best condition from people who abuse them because of a lack of knowledge on how to properly operate them. Also they can be damaged because they are used by so many people who don't care because its not theirs.

Were the blades sharp?

TheLawnBarber
10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Thats what I was just about to ask. It doesn't look like the blades are sharp.

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 09:18 PM
no the blades were dull as crap. maybe ill sharpen them, but i dont have a jack to get the mower up to be able to stick a wrench up there. and i know its a rental, but when i got it, it had 64 hours on it! thats nothing.

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
heres some pics of the blades. i dont know if you can see the dullness.

RedMax Man
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Pics are blury but from what i can see my blades never get that bad. See how the edges aren't strait but kinda jaged and dull. Those may not have even been sharpened yet. Definitly over due for one.

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 10:14 PM
do you think i should sharpen them??? will the rental place get mad?? i also checked the oil and its low, so is the hydraulic. its sad how such a great machine is abused like it is.

RedMax Man
10-20-2007, 10:41 PM
didn't you just rent it for the day? Just let the rental place know that it needs some maintenance before they send it out again. I don't think they would get mad just make sure you know what you doing and don't changing or damage anything or get hurt trying to do it. I wouldn't touch the fluids except for gas. If its really that bad then maybe you could bring it back tell them you want a refund because the mower did not perform the way its supposed too.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
10-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Why would you rent the mower instead of just demo one from your dealer (assuming you are searious about buying). No one takes care of rentals. I would call and tell them to come pick it up that it cut like crap, dull blades, levers bent, etc. Get your money back. Don't base your future exmark purchase off this.

DillonsLawnCare
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Why would you rent the mower instead of just demo one from your dealer (assuming you are searious about buying). No one takes care of rentals. I would call and tell them to come pick it up that it cut like crap, dull blades, levers bent, etc. Get your money back. Don't base your future exmark purchase off this.

i rented it cause exmark wont let you take one of their mowers home for a day or two. i rented it to see if the exmark ZTR was a need or just a want. do you really think i could get my money back for all the things wrong with it??? are they supposed to get it ready and sharpen blades and check everything?? they are closed on sunday and are supposed to come pick it up monday morning, but ill be in school. im not sure what to do.:cry: :cry:

Idealtim
10-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I didn't even know that you could rent a exmark, mabey not in my area? I'll have to remember that for the next 4' field I get paid to cut down lol.

I would call the rental place and let them know that they sent out a machine with all of the above problems, i'd be curious to hear their responce. I think it's up to them to offer a refund or at least something for your F'd up rental.

DillonsLawnCare
10-21-2007, 12:16 AM
this sucks...i hate it when i get screwed over. i dont want to seem like a jerk to the people about it.... since they're pinking it up monday morning and ill be in school. should i go down there that afternoon and tell them whats up?

THEGOLDPRO
10-21-2007, 12:20 AM
hell yea, mine as well try.

TheLawnBarber
10-21-2007, 12:37 AM
What! Its not Exmark that will let you take a mower home as a demo, its the dealer. The dealer buys the mower before you do so they can do whatever they want with it. Look at the thread in Commercial Lawnmowing by DCE comparing the Exmark TTHP to the Toro T2

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
10-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Will your mom be home? Not trying to be funny, but if someone's going to be home tell them to raise hell about (or look at the lawn if it looks that bad).

KS_Grasscutter
10-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Kinda reminds me of when I got my 50 inch Dixon. It cut like CRAP at first. I scraped the deck, and put new blades on it, and now it cuts like this:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/pics6-21007.jpg

FIRESCOOBY
10-21-2007, 02:04 AM
You would think that ANY dealer would ensure that the blades were sharp before ANY machine being demoed OR rented.

I ran into this from my own dealer when I demoed a Super Mini-Z. I had to sharpen the blades before taking it out. I also demoed a SCAG that the blades were in the same shape.

You'd think that these dealer would realize that in order to make a sale they have to do some work besides filling out the paperwork. (Not making that statement about ALL dealers of course).

DillonsLawnCare
10-21-2007, 12:04 PM
see, me and my grandpa picked it up yesterday and for some reason, something felt a little wierd about it. so were taking it to his house this afternoon and they are going to pick it up monday morning. he wont be at his house cause he has court that morning. hes a lawyer.

maybe we can go down there tom. afternoon and talk to the manager.

should i just tell them that i thought i was renting a quality machine and the blades were dull, oil was low, the deck was all crapped out, the levers were bent, therefor i could not manuever the machine as needed. oh and get this, the rollbar was fixed in the halfway position and i couldnt get it to go up all the way, cause i had a hillside to mow!!! they must have bolted that stuff TIGHT!

i had to maintain properties that demand a nice looking yard and was not able to do it, so i ended up putting it in the garage and cut with my walkbehind. and was out that money!

should i say something like that..

thanks for all the input so far!!

mag360
10-21-2007, 02:04 PM
The twine wrapped around the outer blade will do terrible things to the cut quality.

lawnboy858
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
You should definitely be able to get your money back, for many reasons. The oil was low, the hydrolic fluid was low, the blades were dull, and the steering bars were overlapping. The machine was clearly not in a condition to be rented, unless you signed a clause stating it was, i hope they don't get you on something like that.

Regardless of this incident, you need to remember that you rented this mower from a rental store, not an exmark dealer. From comments from you and pictures i've seen, this mower was abused, and you shouldn't form ideas about the mower solely from that. You need to go to the dealer and see if you can get a demo, although, you might need your dad to do this for you. Good luck with the refund of your money, and hopefully you'll have a better experience next time.

lawnboy858
10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
The twine wrapped around the outer blade will do terrible things to the cut quality.

I agree. Thats enough twine to bog down any mower, regardless of its horsepower.

SwihartServices
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
All of the stuff on those mowers has to be adjusted out of the box. When I demoed a triton it ran crappy too. It was just a matter of the update kit and a bunch of little tweeks to the deck, levers, rpms, ect.

DillonsLawnCare
10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
alright guys, so im screwed!! i was reading through the contract again and i missed a spot where it said " that if the machine doesnt properly operate that i had to call them within 30 minutes of the occurance."
stupid me didnt read the contract before i used it... so i guess i learned my lesson and was out $100..........ill never do that again.

greengiant9963
10-21-2007, 09:30 PM

For sure. The cut quality goes way down.

DillonsLawnCare
10-21-2007, 10:46 PM
the quality of cut was great. it left a super crisp cut. the discharging of the grass was the problem!!

LawnBoy89
10-21-2007, 11:45 PM
That thing must have had the worst 64 hours any mower has every had...I can't believe the levers overlapped thats hilarious.

DillonsLawnCare
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
how do the levers get to where they overlap eachother??? either poor installation or some rough wear and tear in those 64 hours of hell.

MuleCutter
10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
sometimes the levers aren bent correctly from the factory. i used to work for a dealership and for almost 4 years i assembled 95% of the exmarks that came in and quite a few of them the bends on the levers were just a little bit too extreme so i had to bend them out a little bit. but yea.... i'd do a lot of complaining about that mower. i have about 500 hours on my 66 triton and i NEVER had caking on the sides of the blade baffles. and with all low oil in the engine and hydro it shows how much those rental places care about what they rent out.

stuffdeer
10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
heres some pics of the blades. i dont know if you can see the dullness.

They dont look any worse then mine do right now on my Cub Cadet.

lawnkid
10-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah I know a lot of guys who bought new Exmarks with the Triton decks and hated them. I demoed a 66" Lazer with the 25hp Kubota diesel last spring expecting this thing to be the cats ass. It was terrible at distributing clippings. I cut several of our places and no matter what kind of grass blend it was bad. If you can still find a decent used UltraCut deck, they are worth it. The Ultra Cut deck was great. The only reason I think ExMark came out with the Triton was to compete with Hustler, Scag, John Deere, and others who had new decks.

DillonsLawnCare
10-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah I know a lot of guys who bought new Exmarks with the Triton decks and hated them. I demoed a 66" Lazer with the 25hp Kubota diesel last spring expecting this thing to be the cats ass. It was terrible at distributing clippings. I cut several of our places and no matter what kind of grass blend it was bad. If you can still find a decent used UltraCut deck, they are worth it. The Ultra Cut deck was great. The only reason I think ExMark came out with the Triton was to compete with Hustler, Scag, John Deere, and others who had new decks.

yeah, the cut was super crisp and just awesome, but the dispersal was crap. if only they could solve that problem.

ElephantNest
10-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Dull blades = No review

Charles
10-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Dull blades = No review

Really, all he was doing is beating the grass to death. Those blades are very dull and would make a mess of wet or dry grass. The fact that the cut looked good speaks well of the machine under the circumstances

blind04
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
what you are experiencing is nothing odd for the triton deck. i have had the same experiences with the triton, and all the other lawn care guys in my area have aswell. i have several exmarks. all with the ultra cut decks and love them to death. they cut so well in all conditions but the triton deck is nothing less than a huge mistake by exmark. This summer i had the opportunity to have a national exmark rep bring a 2009 prototype out to my biggest account to compare it to my favorite mower, my 2007 exmark lazer z 60" ultra cut with 25 horse kohler. the prototype was a 60" triton with a 31 horse kohler. i took 2 passes with the prototype and noticed directly that it wasnt cutting down every blade of grass evenly. so i ran my mower in a strip right next to where i had ran the prototype and showed the exmark rep the difference between how well my mower cut the grass and his triton deck. He agreed, there was no comparing the two. the triton just dosnt cut grass well in any condition. He was embarassed, i am sure that no one had ever showed him the difference so clearly. we talked about the new frame and some of the new features on the prototype and i really liked the new mower. He asked me if i was going to continue purchasing exmark mowers. I said that if i can get an exmark with an ultra cut deck in the future that i would. He informed me that was not going to be possible, that all future exmarks would be triton decks only. I simply said that i would have to buy something else.

hey guys, so i decided to rent an exmark mower for the weekend for fun to cut some of my accounts with,including my yard also. so i rent it for about $100 and picked it up this morning. brought it back, went over it real well. so i start to cut my yard, and its a little wet from heavy dew. this thing cuts pretty awesome but disperses its clippings like $%#@. i keep mowing,:hammerhead: only to find out that it gets worse. im cutting fesue down to 3". this thing is bogging down!!!:dizzy: its got a 31hp vangaurd engine. this is ridiculous. its got a 60" triton also. so im done cutting. and i end up cutting my yard 4 times!!!, just to get it looking a little better, and there is still clumps!!:dizzy: so i end up cutting one other yard with it today, and it still clumps dry grass. so i double cut that yard. i didnt gain any time mowing the yards i did today. so i look under the deck and its just horrible. i dont think ill be buying a triton deck anytime soon. im glad i didnt drop 8K for this mower. and what also sucks was that the levers overlapped eachother, so it was hard to manuever and it sucked....

here are some pics of the mower. theres a few where i have my stuff on it, cause im 14 and i drive the mower around my neighborhood to get to my yards. enjoy....

DillonsLawnCare
10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
what you are experiencing is nothing odd for the triton deck. i have had the same experiences with the triton, and all the other lawn care guys in my area have aswell. i have several exmarks. all with the ultra cut decks and love them to death. they cut so well in all conditions but the triton deck is nothing less than a huge mistake by exmark. This summer i had the opportunity to have a national exmark rep bring a 2009 prototype out to my biggest account to compare it to my favorite mower, my 2007 exmark lazer z 60" ultra cut with 25 horse kohler. the prototype was a 60" triton with a 31 horse kohler. i took 2 passes with the prototype and noticed directly that it wasnt cutting down every blade of grass evenly. so i ran my mower in a strip right next to where i had ran the prototype and showed the exmark rep the difference between how well my mower cut the grass and his triton deck. He agreed, there was no comparing the two. the triton just dosnt cut grass well in any condition. He was embarassed, i am sure that no one had ever showed him the difference so clearly. we talked about the new frame and some of the new features on the prototype and i really liked the new mower. He asked me if i was going to continue purchasing exmark mowers. I said that if i can get an exmark with an ultra cut deck in the future that i would. He informed me that was not going to be possible, that all future exmarks would be triton decks only. I simply said that i would have to buy something else.

dude, thats so ******ed. surely you would think that they would offer ultracut decks for those who "know" ultracut is better. thats ridiculous. i need to jump on that adv. series exmark mower with a 60" ultracut and 28hp kawi. i need to get that thing this season. do you think they will have them in fall of '08? cause i dont have that much money now cause of the drought, but ill have it next season!! ill put a thread in the exmark forum. thanks for the feedback everybody.

J&R Landscaping
10-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Sounds like its poor work on the rental centers part. But with saying about the whole 30 minutes to report a problem,,, Why would you not check those things before you took delivery of the machine.

I've rented machines a few times, not as much as some but still. I'll always do a quick check of the basics before leaving and then (when its a mower) before each job.

Fuel is checked regualary (usually in the morning, at lunch then towards the end of the day.)
Oil is checked before the machine moves at each stop. (Oil is cheap, a new engine aint.)
Hydro oil is checked in the morning and then again at the end of the day.
Blades are checked (on a rental) before I take delivery of the machine. If the blades are dull, I won't take the machine.

Not tryin to bash on you or nothing but its general common sense (in most cases) that rental whatever (cars, mowers, generators, skid steers, etc) are run hard and beat on. It only takes 2-3 mintes to be sure everything is a go. When I have helpers working with me, I tell them to check the oil and fuel and what not. When you consider the effects of not doing these simple checks, and the cost of replacing damages, its a no brainer IMHO.

DillonsLawnCare
10-29-2007, 12:36 AM
yeah, i checked everything when i got it to my house. i noticed that the blades were dull when loading the machine on to the trailer, but didnt realize how dull they were. it was a bad mistake in my part. i dont think of you bashing on me in any way. its useful advice that i will be able to use in the future on other more important equipment. thanks man!! i appreciate it.

ATL Lawn
11-13-2007, 02:21 AM
how much was rental fee?

DK lawn care
11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I was wondering how u got ur weedwacker to attach to the ROPS bar? Is there a special attachment?

DillonsLawnCare
11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
the rental fee ended up being like around $100.

as for the weedeater on the rops, al i did was lay it on there evenly so one side wouldnt tip and i used the rubber bungee cords to tie it down. it worked great. and the same for the backpack blower. just laid i on the the caster wheel frame/fork and used the rubber bungees. yep yep. super simple.

tacoma200
02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
$100 dollars a day to try out a mower may say you in the long run.