PDA

View Full Version : $175 per hr for service

pete scalia
10-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Today Pete S paid his home theater guy and his helper $175 per hr plus materials to install a new satellite dish and receiver.
I don't have a problem with getting this type of scratch embedding the labor cost into a new install. But I am doubtful that anyone on LI would pay pete S and his helper $175 per hr plus materials to either service or repair an existing lighting system.
I can't help but believe that it has to do with the perception of people that if you work outside with your hands in the landscape your not a tech your a grass monkey and should be paid as such. Interior to exterior a big difference in compensation.

Bill S
10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Electronics scare people. They become stupified by all the technology.

Most everyone has mowed their lawn at some point in their lives, therefore why should they be paying big money for something they can do themselves?

As far as lighting goes, it becomes more of a specialty. You are still limited by your competition. If everyone in your area wants to work for peanuts you will be limited by the glass ceiling they have set.

This phenomenon has bothered me for some time. Maybe someday I will come to grips with this lousy reality.

cpel2004
10-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Very well said Bill S. I used to install computers for homeowners back in 98 and I would charge 125 and up. Most customers didnt have a problem with my price, in fact I used to encourage them to ready a book or have a family member install it but most declined.

pete scalia
10-21-2007, 09:24 AM
"If everyone in your area wants to work for peanuts you will be limited by the glass ceiling they have set."

Absolutely correct. Many in the green trades are not well educated are small thinkers and poor business people. Their mentality is to give up the farm. Spend a day with a crew of 3 moving fixtures around the yard for free for someone who requests it 5 months after a project is over. They call that customer service. They wouldn't know what customer service was if it bit them. Most have depression era mentality, are tight when it comes to spending their own money and believe their customers are that way too. Accordingly they work cheap. Sell a $20 pair of shoes to someone who could well afford a $2,000 pair. I could go on and on but what's the use. They are still going to undercut everyone and bring the market down for the rest anyway.

Mike M
10-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Don't confuse service with design/build.

Folks here talked me into a separate identity for the lighting biz and I'm glad they did. I am positioning myself as a lighting guy in my marketing. I pull a trailer and cut lawns, too, and I have my own brochure for that as well.

Mike