PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Job

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 01:51 AM
This is my first major mulch job...not perfect, but about the best I could do without anybody showing me the proper way to much. And yes, it is rubber.

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Any suggestions how to improve my work?

Bull
10-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Maybe use the large rocks across the bottom of the hill. That mulch over time will walk down the hill with heavy rains and so forth. Is there anything under the mulch such as fabric? Maybe space some shrubs across the hill to add color and soften the black a little. Other than that the mulching looks fine. How much did the material cost for the job?

shane mapes
10-21-2007, 05:21 AM
the job looks good ..was the mulch expensive also like the other guy said , mulch will move down and make a mess..but besides that it looks good. customer happy ? thats all that matters ...........

Ron Marston
10-21-2007, 08:20 AM
looks good yes som srubs would look better !

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Maybe use the large rocks across the bottom of the hill. That mulch over time will walk down the hill with heavy rains and so forth. Is there anything under the mulch such as fabric? Maybe space some shrubs across the hill to add color and soften the black a little. Other than that the mulching looks fine. How much did the material cost for the job?

I forgot to mention that this at my house, not a customer's. I was using this as practice. Which means that dad was the boss:hammerhead: No, there is no fabric under the mulch, and dad doesn't want any shurbs on the bank. Dad's insistant that because it's rubber, it won't wash down. I love my dad, but I wish he'd let me work my way. :dizzy:

What about placing deer netting over top to keep it from washing?

TriplePLandscaping
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Looks alright. Nothing you can really do to improve it, its not the fact that your unskilled, its the fact that you have really no options, or anything to work with. The rubber is going to wash down soon enough.

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 09:36 AM
The mulch was about $95 a yard and there's 8 yards. Total cost was about a grand, with mulch, rocks, weed killer, edging, etc.

DBL
10-21-2007, 09:50 AM
looks good...never used rubber mulch...only suggestion i would make is clean up down bottom along the road all those weeds and debris it will make your job look 10 times better

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 09:59 AM
looks good...never used rubber mulch...only suggestion i would make is clean up down bottom along the road all those weeds and debris it will make your job look 10 times better

Maybe I'll do that this weekend when I get home... Sure stinks not being able to do any work in the evenings. :hammerhead:

FIRESCOOBY
10-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Looks good

My only thing is that those rocks look odd to me just placed around, but maybe it's me.

PerfectEarth
10-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Rubber mulch??? Oh no. Congrats on laying down possibly the worst product ever "invented" for the lawn/landscape industry. Tell your dad he screwed up on that one.

Sorry, but the rocks do not look good. There is no reason for them to be there- they are not placed in any landscape context or grouped in any purpose.

What that slope needs is a groundcover and decent hardwood mulch- or pinestraw.

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 01:09 PM
No, I don't think the rocks look good either. It screams "first timer." I'll admit that. To quote dad, "don't make the rocks look like they're in any pattern."

Any kind of ground cover wouldn't hold up to the salt of an arterial state road except crown vetch or trefoil, both of which would look worse than now. And dad didn't want a mulch that faded and had to be reapplied.

If it were me, I would have just kept mowing it. But I can't tell dad that.:dizzy:

But seriously, even though my father and I may have differing opinions on landscaping, I do love him. I don't mean to bad mouth him.

93Chevy
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
It looked good saturday morning when I finished, but every time I look at it, I'm more and more turned off.

Lynden-Jeff
10-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey

Its not that bad, you should have seen some of my first mulch jobs. One thing I would do is make some wavey contours at the top instead of a straight line. Also some bushs and dwarf cedar type shrubs would really set off the black. Also moving some of the rocks so they arnt in a : : : : : Pattern would look good aswell.

Cheers
Jeff

Bull
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
93chevy, regardless of what we say about the mulching job let me more importantly say that I admire the respect that you show for your dad. I am not sure of your age but I appreciate good values, morals and character. I am not sure what to tell you concerning the mulch sliding down the hill. Without some type of plant form or some comparable material gravity will prevail. One thing that I did years ago and hated to have to do it was I ran treated 1x4's across the bank and held them down with wooden stakes. The customer did not want anything planted. Space them about 3' apart as you move down or up the hill and let the finished mulch height end flush with the boards. As an added thing you can even paint the wooden material black before you put it in place. You will still have a slight amount of movement but it is easily fixed back every few months or so.

Team-Green L&L
10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Any suggestions how to improve my work?

What the...I didn't even read this thread. I don't want to sound like some of the other guys on here, but come on man. If you think that a rectangle (rubber) mulch bed the length of the lot is attractive, you've got ot find a new profession.

I'm not saying you are a bad landscaper, or you are ____________, but I AM saying that this is the most awful design, use of material, project I have seen in a long time.

I do like your personality though.

93Chevy
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, if you had read the thread, you would have picked up that it wasn't my idea or design, but in fact my fathers. I just did what he said. Had he let me make a decision, I would have just kept mowing it because it wasn't that difficult for me to mow. I also feel bad that he wasted all that money on materials. At least I saved him some money by doing it myself and not having a landscaper do it.

In my house, dad's always right. I'm not going to backtalk him, so I just do what he says. I don't mean to appear rude to my father, but evey time I try to tell him that his idea might not be the best, he reminds me that I'm only 19 and incapable of being right.

I do appreciate everybody's input and suggestions. Maybe I can gently suggest to my father some ideas.

And thanks for liking my personality.

DoetschOutdoor
10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
You do sound like a good guy but your dad sounds like he needs to lighten up a little. I'm only 21 now, but I know that my parents gave me respect by 19 and at least listened to some opinions but thats just me...8 yards of mulch at $20/yard, he could have had black, brown, red, whatever and he could have redone it every year for at least 5 or 6 years before he racked up a grand in the whole deal. By then he would have realized that mulch on that hill will never work. He could have really saved somme money that way.

1MajorTom
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I think the problem with the outcome is the color. From the picture, that rubber mulch appears to be black. I do believe you can get dyed rubber mulch, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. The house appears to be yellow brick, with brown shutters, and a light brown roof. Black aint the color choice on this one. It's too "hard" looking, and sticks out way too much. A landscape is supposed to be natural looking, this screams "look at me", (and not in a good way).... Not much you can do with it now, as I'm sure your dad after paying all that money for the supplies is not going to want to remove it. I think the best thing that can happen is for the rubber mulch to fade with the sun and lighten up some.