PDA

View Full Version : Post in commercial landscaping I want I. M. opinions on

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
As I become more Kirilian in my thinking on turf I've started a thread on Commercial Landscaping that I want irrigators to weigh in on.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2004750&posted=1#post2004750

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-21-2007, 04:52 PM
lol @ kirillian!

EagleLandscape
10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
You could go really fancy and h20 efficient. use some sort of drip system, underground root watering system if you may.

excavate 12 inches, line with h20 barrier cloth, and fill with sand. plant into sand, and let the roots grow down to the h20 at -12" grade.

like the tamu football field. highly efficient at watering, and can go extended periods of time without water. just dont use some hybrid tiff sport turf or something:)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
You could go really fancy and h20 efficient. use some sort of drip system, underground root watering system if you may.

excavate 12 inches, line with h20 barrier cloth, and fill with sand. plant into sand, and let the roots grow down to the h20 at -12" grade.

like the tamu football field. highly efficient at watering, and can go extended periods of time without water. just dont use some hybrid tiff sport turf or something:)

Have you tried Buffalo Grass? I'm thinking flagstone pad between curb and sidewalk going to door. Then buffalo grass on each side. Then wild flower seed it each fall. I can't get that extensive with the irrigation because I don't want to separate it out as a zone. it waters with the east side of my front and I want to just discontinue it. Also John on my overseeded customers don't you think leaving the SL on Warm season turf is okay after it has come up? Do you switch to cool season on your overseeds? i don't know that the extra 20% more water is necessary.

EagleLandscape
10-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Two words for seed. Well three actually. WILD SEED FARM. google it, amazing seed.

As far as flagstone pathway, you want something along the lines of this? (obviously designed more for foot traffic off of a driveway though.)

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/54/54/6/85/18/2987685180056542807yJNIZc_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2987685180056542807yJNIZc)

I do switch it to CTurf, but hey, if you can get by with less water, and it looks good. more power to you.

drive by my house this week, and you will see what looks like a broken water main running down bowser. that parkway zone is a little too high pressure, and until i fix it, most of the water is running and blowing off into the street. I'm lazy, but am irrigating like 4x a day to keep the perennial rye wet. i already had it dry up once. WM changed my controller setting at the factory, and I lost 1 acre of perennial rye. I now have 8 run times or 3 mins each. Swamp anyone? alteast the seed will germinate

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I've visited WILDSEED and bought seed from them. Heard the guy talk at the very first Xeriscape conference many years ago. My church is Epiphany on Custer and they have a large open unirrigated front lawn that I tried to get wildflowers established. Also someone on this site I think Hoskos? from AZ told me to try setting the overseed schedule for 6 times a day at 2 minutes and I did that to one customer and in one week their yard looked perfect.

EagleLandscape
10-21-2007, 08:55 PM
did it work? i had a garden down in college station at my 1/2acre home where i lived for a few years, and that was my place of retreat. while my friends were out doing their crazy junk i tried to come home at half time to get some peace and quiet to work in the garden. it was 40'x30' and roughly half of it had seed from WSF.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Didn't have much success except around the Cross and that is because I put irrigation in. I really think you need one of those seed planting machines to make it work in turf. I may try again someday but I'm thinking of switching to evening primrose in mass instead.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking of switching to evening primrose in mass instead.

Interplanted with night blooming phlox.

londonrain
10-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Also someone on this site I think Hoskos? from AZ told me to try setting the overseed schedule for 6 times a day at 2 minutes and I did that to one customer and in one week their yard looked perfect.

I set my MProtator zones at 5 min. with 6 start times a day and had germination in 7 days. Before and after Pic's , 2nd pic is after the 2nd cut ....

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I set my MProtator zones at 5 min. with 6 start times a day and had germination in 7 days. Before and after Pic's , 2nd pic is after the 2nd cut ....

Nice London...Can you germinate year 'round down there?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-22-2007, 03:05 PM

Really nice Steve. Now you need a push reel mower to mow it twice a week to stay in shape.:) :weightlifter:

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Really nice Steve. Now you need a push reel mower to mow it twice a week to stay in shape.:) :weightlifter:

When you retire, you could buy a motor home & travel the country as a
personal fitness consultant to the irrigation industry.:laugh:

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=FIMCO-MEISTER;2005110thinking of switching to evening primrose in mass instead.[/QUOTE]

There are two varietes that mite work good together...Cammissonia brevipes
which is native to Arizona & Cali & Oenothera primiveris, which is your &
New Mexico's native..Mite be neat to plant in drifts.

londonrain
10-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Nice London...Can you germinate year 'round down there?Just about.... we are still over seeding.... irrigation is just about all year long..it was raining today and we still had 6 calls....

londonrain
10-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I just purchased a new Honda push mower, my brother has a reel mower for his yard but I need 4-6" cut on the Fescue....At 40 still have a better Body than Rotar....lol:weightlifter:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I just purchased a new Honda push mower, my brother has a reel mower for his yard but I need 4-6" cut on the Fescue....At 40 still have a better Body than Rotar....lol:weightlifter:

pics or falsehoods.

Mike Leary
10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
When you retire, you could buy a motor home & travel the country as a
personal fitness consultant to the irrigation industry.:laugh:

Steve & Rotar mite be interested.

londonrain
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
pics or falsehoods.
new Honda mower....

londonrain
10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
pics or falsehoods.
If this wasn't such a sausage party then I would post some pics of myself..lol :weightlifter:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
If this wasn't such a sausage party then I would post some pics of myself..lol :weightlifter:

lol...

peep the back pedal..

you should never be ashamed of who you are..

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-22-2007, 08:09 PM
new Honda mower....

I've got the hots for that mower.:o