PDA

View Full Version : load handeler used in 12' x 6.5' Trailer.

Matts lawn care
10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
When I was looking back into last years leaf removal posts I saw a good number of people that were interested in this so I thought I would share. After pitch-forking the leaves out on several occasions i thought there must be a better way. I thought about it a good long time and came up with this. First I went to walmart and for the load hauler ($84). Then I went to lowes and got 3 sheets of ply wood ($23ea). I cut them to size and then angled them so that the load hauler covered the hole floor. Next I got a heavy duty walmart tarp and attached it to the floor of my trailer and part of the gate ($9) so the load hauler will not snag. I had to cut the lever arm down 3 inched so i would have ground Clarence. I also had to cut out a slit on my sides so I could close the gate. I will have a used 16hp billygoat truck-loader and mesh tarp over the top in a week or 2. For now I have to drag em in. I will take more pictures when its all set up and some pictures at the dump. Any questions let me know. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Edit: O yea I dont need any late night calls but thanks anyway.

mag360
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
When you start using the leaf loader you probably want to change the angle on your plywood sides. Unloading will be easier if you keep them vertical to reduce friction and keep more weight on the floor.

Looks nice.

Lawn Enforcer
10-22-2007, 09:23 PM
that is a cool idea, plus, I love the trailer!

Matts lawn care
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
that is a cool idea, plus, I love the trailer!

Thanks I just painted the hole thing white my mom did the rest. I or she still needs to outline "mulching" and "spring and fall clean-up"

Matts lawn care
10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
When you start using the leaf loader you probably want to change the angle on your plywood sides. Unloading will be easier if you keep them vertical to reduce friction and keep more weight on the floor.

Looks nice.

I have not yet purchased the leaf loader. when I do, I will change the side angles to 90 degrees.

Supper Grassy
10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
looks good matt

Matts lawn care
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
I just used it for the first time at the dump today. I forgot my camera:(. I had a trailer full of the light fluffy leaves. It did great except for the last 2 feet. The leaves were so light that the load handler just slid right out from under it. The leaves came out in a nice big cube.

Matts lawn care
11-02-2007, 09:43 PM
This system works great and would be good for anyone who doesn't have another truck or a tree to attach to to you can pull the leaves or branches out. here are some actions shots as well as a few of the toys they have at my dump. Enjoy.

Matts lawn care
11-02-2007, 09:47 PM
More pictures!

KS_Grasscutter
11-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Ummmmm... how do you haul your equipment? Why not just hook the loadhandler to the trailer floor at the back and do away with the gate so it will completely unload? And the sides IMO are a little more than somewhat unprofessional looking.

DoetschOutdoor
11-03-2007, 03:02 PM
How does that handler material that is on your floor not get ripped? It seems like if you threw a nice log or somthing up in there, it might rip that material...

LawnBoy89
11-03-2007, 04:16 PM
They don't make one with another 1/2 foot on each side so it will cover your whole trailer?

This is how they unload semis with the big enclosed trailers they have a moving floor which is a similiar operation.

ljrce
11-03-2007, 04:59 PM
hows the ford exploer pull the trailer i got a 97 ford exploer and really havent pulled much with it and anymore pics of your setup and is that a 4.0 in the exploer

Matts lawn care
11-03-2007, 06:53 PM
hows the ford exploer pull the trailer i got a 97 ford exploer and really havent pulled much with it and anymore pics of your setup and is that a 4.0 in the exploer

yes it is a 4.0 it pulls fine for my mowing setup but i could use a bigger truck for leaves and such.

Matts lawn care
11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
They don't make one with another 1/2 foot on each side so it will cover your whole trailer?

This is how they unload semis with the big enclosed trailers they have a moving floor which is a similiar operation.

Not that I have found.

Matts lawn care
11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
How does that handler material that is on your floor not get ripped? It seems like if you threw a nice log or somthing up in there, it might rip that material...

the trailer is only being used for leaves except for the tree in the picture. the tarp should rip but I'm not worried about it. its only being used to help the load handeler to slide out.

Matts lawn care
11-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Ummmmm... how do you haul your equipment? Why not just hook the loadhandler to the trailer floor at the back and do away with the gate so it will completely unload? And the sides IMO are a little more than somewhat unprofessional looking.

My equipment consists of blowers and it all fits in my truck. The gate does not come off unless you take a grinder to it. All I have to do is pull away with the gate down and the scraps fall out(total time in the dump is 5 min)and is a lot cheaper than a dump trailer. The sides may look unprofessional but they have everyone talking and as long as there getting me jobs there fine with me.

Looking Good Lawn Service
11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I think that this is a good example of creative thinking. Good job of making the best of what you have. Dont let anyone here discourage you. actually the hand painted signs are not that bad, good idea, you can't use vinyl on wood anyways. I would just clarify your services with clearer print, thats it. we all did not start with a 4 new F550's and enclosed trailers full of walkers. Concentrate on doing quality work and get customers before you buy excessive equipment. Dont spend before you make it.

93Chevy
11-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Nice looking trailer setup. I don't like the color scheme personally, but as long as it gets you business and you like it, that's what's important. I hope you do well. I really like how you added sides to a flatbed. I'll be doing that by spring, I imagine.

smcunningham
11-21-2007, 05:31 AM
Matt,
I have that same trailer made by top brand and my rear gate has a long steel rod that runs threw the hinges and has a 'T" welded on one end of the rod and on the other end theres a a hole drilled in it with a cotter key I can take the cotter key out and slide the rod out and my gate comes right of...Yours not like as described???

South Florida Lawns
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I like that trailer, and the unloader thing and your toro. That is something I could see myself making back in the day only my system wouldn't ever work.

Roger
11-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I have two trailers, one for equipment (6.5X12, BigTex, with mesh ramp gate), and one for debris (5X10, with 36" sides). I have used the 5X10 for debris for many years, pitching off about 65 trailer loads per season, with a pitchfork. Most of those loads are grass clippings, but I have about 25 loads of leaves too. I have wanted to mount a LoadHandler on the 5X10. I really need to keep the larger trailer for hauling my equipment.

I have searched, in vain, to find a load handler that will work for the 5X10. I have a drop-in end gate, one that I can easily take out when unloading from the rear. The mounting of the rollup assembly at the rear is a problem -- I don't know how to attach permanently. Also, the length of the bottom liner is fitted for 8' p/u beds, and shouldn't reach the full 10 feet. You seem to have an extended version, one that covers the 12 feet, plus about two feet onto the mesh ramp gate.

Do I view the images correctly, ... the rollup assembly is bolted to the mesh of the ramp gate? This is the part of the combination I couldn't see how to make work, with my case of a drop-in endgate.

I think I could live with an 8' cover of the liner, not being able to cover the full 10' length of the trailer bed. And, the width of my bed is narrower than yours, and I think it would work, even though it wouldn't quite cover the full 5' width.

I don't have much problem with leaves. I can pack them in tight, full past the gunnels, and with an height extender on the rear endgate. The dump doesn't get excited about the pile I leave, so the back third comes out with a refuse hook (AM Leonard). The rest get pitched over the sides, either side, one or both sides. I use a 4-tined pitchfork. A full load can be taken off in less than 15 minutes.

However, having a full load of grass clippings is another story. I accumulate the clipping debris on a daily basis from my other trailer, and when the 5X10 is full, take it to the dump. Yes, the back third of the load can come off with the refuse hook, and the rest gets pitched over the sides. But, the weight of the material, and how tightly it is packed is much different.

If I had it to do over again, five years ago, I would have bought a 5X10 dump trailer. But, at my age, I am reluctant to continue to accumulate equipment.

The one idea that I believe has great potential is a false endgate strategy. It would be quite inexpensive, but I am unable to locate an unloader unit. The idea is a movable endgate sits on the floor, at the front of the trailer. It has runners, with chains attached. The chains run to the rear of the trailer, and are then wound on a roller (e.g.1.5-2.0" pipe). As the pipe is wound, the chains become taunt, pulling the endgate toward the rear, pushing the material out the back. We used this scheme 50 years ago on the farm to unload 4-wheeled wagons filled with silage (before the days of self-unloading wagons). It was am amazingly simple scheme, but was dependent upon the powered unit to wind the pipe. I don't think one could manually do that job. One idea I have explored was mounting a winch (e.g. boat winch) on the front tongue, running the chains (or cables) underneath, across rollers, then to the false endgate.

Any other ideas for we who don't spend much money?