PDA

View Full Version : Olive Branch

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Let me take a moment to extend an Olive Branch to Pete Scalia.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree on a number of topics. I would be willing to sit down with you at the AOLP conference or even in Upstate New York sometime. ( I have a job coming up in the Catskills).

If this is not convenient, by all means, give me a cal at 705-385-3000 (INTEGRA Works Inc. office number).

Perhaps, if we were to put faces to our names, learn a bit about each other, things would not be so acrimonious. I certainly would like to see an end to the veiled insults and teardowns that you spread across this forum.

So how about it Pete?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I can only assume that Pete has read this and had decided not to accept.

Such a shame really...

Oh well. I tried.

Mike M
10-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe he did and it got deleted? We may never know.

Maybe Chris said something, too.

It's hard to believe nobody took a cheap shot at your goofy countenance. :)

Lite4
10-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Jeez Mike, a little professional decorum please.

Mike M
10-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Sorry, can't edit that out now--oops.

James is the man, no offense meant. :canadaflag: I get silly, and I think my point is more about the censored stuff lately.

Actually, his post took a lot of guts and he looks a lot like David Hasselhoff (sp?) the Baywatch/Night Rider guy.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Sorry, can't edit that out now--oops.

James is the man, no offense meant. :canadaflag: I get silly, and I think my point is more about the censored stuff lately.

Actually, his post took a lot of guts and he looks a lot like David Hasselhoff (sp?) the Baywatch/Night Rider guy.

Okay I have been called a lot of things! but never David Hasselhoff!!!! Sheesh.

Most recently I was approached at a James Bond party by a talent scout to do stand ins for Roger Moore.

In the past I have been mistaken for Jim Carrey (by a bunch of Brits at a resort in Jamaica... they wanted photos and autographs! LOL of course I obliged) and further back people thought I looked like Kevin Bacon.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Let me try this again.....

I am a bit surprised to the that two entire Threads, specifically "public forum" and "private forum" have been stricken from this site. There was a lot of good and useful information in the 'public forum' thread, and the 'private forum' thread was an excellent example of controlled and restrained creativity as to how to overcome censorship issues.

I had hoped that the moderators here would have been more sensative to your freedom of expression ideals!

Have a great day.

PaperCutter
10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I was kind of bummed to get up this AM and see that thread gone. What happened, did it turn nasty?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 08:53 AM
I was kind of bummed to get up this AM and see that thread gone. What happened, did it turn nasty?

There was no nastiness involved... simply a group of people expressing their opinions on the public nature of this forum, how to behave properly within such a forum and some ideas on forming a new avenue for private discussions that would be a controlled access forum.

Had it gone ahead, it would acutally have been a source of revenue for lawnsite.

All intertesting, positive, constructive and novel content.

Chris J
10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
I saw the "Public Forum" thread disappear yesterday, and I was disappointed. Now that I see the "Private Forum" thread has been deleted as well? Well, that's just nonsense and this forum has already gotten out of hand. It's one thing to have to deal with a few pesky members. But when the main problem shifts to the moderators, it may be time to go elsewhere. I expect this message to last about 2 minutes also!

Sean Adams
10-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Chris and everyone else in this forum.....

Threads are removed from the site and every single one of you knows exactly why....there is a group of about 10 of you that for some reason are using this forum to argue, point fingers, stir up trouble, etc... This is a landscape lighting forum and that is what is supposed to be discussed. I have said that before.

Now here is how things really need to go from this point on...

If you want to stay here at lawnsite.com and discuss landscape lighting, by all means, we love having you here. If you guys want to harass and discuss things not directly and wholely related to landscape lighting, maybe use a chat room through AOL or something.

We have pulled threads because this is getting out of hand - between the dislike for a certain member, blaming moderators for doing their job, and one person even accused a moderator of pretending to be someone else (that is ridiculous by the way - we know who the person was, where they are from, etc...) - it's just too much.

You guys are focusing on the fact that some people are professionals and some are not....I can assure you that those pointing the finger from an outsider's point of view would appear to be the ones acting unprofessional - a certificate does not make you a "professional"...

So here it is....we want you here, we like having you here and we would certainly hate to see anyone go, BUT....

The nonsense needs to stop or we will have to make some decisions about this situation.

Step back for a sec guys and think about this....you are getting all fired up over a sub forum inside a forum in the lawn and landscape industry on the internet.....Is this industry important? Definitely! Is the exchange of ideas important - ABSOLUTELY! But c'mon....

If anyone wants to email me directly you can do so at sean@lawnsite.com and I will do my best to make certain this landscape lighting forum is the kind of place you want to continue to hang your hats.

Thanks Guys!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Sean, I don't dispute your right or need to moderate this forum. However, if you are going to delete entries and threads, you need to do so fairly. Most of the trouble you are talking about here stems from one member. He is the one stirring the pot, inciting anger and frustration and generally acting unprofessionally in his posts and comments.

The rest of us acknowledge this and have called to you for action. What happens? Our posts get deleted! His incindiary posts remain for the most part. His insuations are rude, unprofessional and at time libelous.

Stop deleting posts that involve the greater community of lighting professionals here and focus on the single source of the problem.

I too, don't have much more time or patience for this.

irrig8r
10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
I think that most of us have thicker skins than you give us credit for Sean.

The same kind of banter goes on from time to time in the irrigation forum, and no one seems to feel the need to delete a thread (that I've ever noticed.)

I understand your concerns, but having spent a fair amount of time over the last 15 years in public forums, from USENET newsgroups and AOL chat rooms in the early 90's, to local BBSs, Yahoo groups and Lyris mail lists, and having observed but mostly avoided participating in flame wars, these kinds of things usually work themselves out.

Acerbic wit and sarcasm don't translate well using only a keyboard.

The powers of a moderator ought to be used a little more lightly though, IMHO.

That said, I do appreciate you bringing it up, and I'll try to be on my best behavior.

pete scalia
10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Sean, I don't dispute your right or need to moderate this forum. However, if you are going to delete entries and threads, you need to do so fairly. Most of the trouble you are talking about here stems from one member. He is the one stirring the pot, inciting anger and frustration and generally acting unprofessionally in his posts and comments.

The rest of us acknowledge this and have called to you for action. What happens? Our posts get deleted! His incindiary posts remain for the most part. His insuations are rude, unprofessional and at time libelous.

Stop deleting posts that involve the greater community of lighting professionals here and focus on the single source of the problem.

I too, don't have much more time or patience for this.

James if you want to know why I ignored your olive branch post it's because it was insincere. Your post above responding to sean accusing me of everything under the sun proves that. You also have a very warped sense of perception. Sean's post is accurate in that there are about 10 people in here who feed each others fire including you. You are unreasonable to blame everything on me. Do you honestly believe that you have been a choir boy? You have also been in violation of the TOS by blatantly selling product here yet I or no one that I know has reported you for it. Your final line of your message is even insincere and not truthful since you have made many posts after claiming you don't have the time or patience for it. You are complaining about being sensored. I have news for you I'm the most sensored here. I posted a sincere message to Greg B yesterday advising him to hire Johnson to do his lighting and it was immediately deleted. I'm sure this one will be too which is unfair since yours and others remain. Nothing I can do about it it's not my forum. If you want to control the forum then start your own somewhere else.

bmwsmity
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
gee, somehow i though this forum was about helping each other improve business. not sure how it seems to always turn into a bunch of teenage girls bickering all the time. i just try to stay out of it. totally perplexed. :confused: if anyone wants some of my input on how to improve business, let me know. i'm no expert, but bouncing ideas off each other is what improves us all.

1MajorTom
10-24-2007, 10:35 PM
this thread is now closed. the name calling posts were removed.
enough already.

1MajorTom
10-25-2007, 01:00 AM
My apologies guys. Let me open this back up and respond to a comment I received about post #15 as to why that post was not removed and the other posts following were.
The way I saw it was simple, the original author of this thread directed his post to one person in this subforum. That one person did not respond until post #15. The good, the bad, the ugly, that was his response to the olive branch. He stated in that post, that HE feels he is the most censored (and he may be correct on that one point). I left his post up, as I assumed that the orignal author of this thread would want to see his response.
Anything else that needs to be said, can surely be discussed in pm's, and hopefully maybe you guys may eventually be able to work it out.
I realize we are dealing with different personalities, but what it boils down to is this. NOTHING on this entire forum is worth getting worked up about.
There is good and bad in everyone, and lots of good to be gotten from this forum.
Thanks guys, and have a nice night.