PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Seed guys In. Having trouble with Fescues

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Just finished up major lawn project about 5 weeks ago. Aside from spots I top-dressed, any remaining lawn that was left was dethatched and butched down to nothing. My entire property (1 acre) was dirt so to speak.

After following watering tips from here (Runner) and hitting it 3 weeks later with starter, I have what I would consider to be one of the nicest lawns in town, if not the state. For the last 5 weeks, I have done nothing but pay attention to the lawn, watering, making sure everything comes in right, and I tell ya, it surely paid off.

Now for the problem. For the sake of discussion, lets say 25% of the backyard is sun/shade. Lets say the other 75% is mostly sun. For the 75% portion of the yard, we used Lesco Metro, which Im sure most are familiar with. For the 25% in the back, we used a blend of 3 fescues. Not sure on the 3, but I can get that info off the card is needed. But, I know its 3 different fescues.

Anyways, here it is 5 weeks later, and this area has nothing but seedlings. I mean, just about 1 inch of thinly grown grass. That is, if there is grass at all. The area is for the most part barren, and looks so thin and unhealthy so to speak.. It looks like if he used Metro in the back, my entire project would had been a knock down home run. As a matter of fact, you can see the darn line where he switched from this blend to the Metro. There is a defined line of grass/no grass. It is absolutley ridiculous. Its been on the same water schedule as the rest of the yard, and the rest came in flawlessly.

If anybody needs pics, I can do that. But, what can I do? Any watering tips, or is this blend just taking longer. I just dont get it. What have I done wrong??? Any info would be a big help.

Runner
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Creeping Reds and Chewing Fescues are both slower to germinate, AND slower to grow. Also, how much of this seed did you put down> the rates for these fescues are MUCH high than those of sun loving grasses (such as KB). If it is possible that we could see some good pictures of the undeveloped areas,..including a few closer ones, this would help considerably.

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Its hard now because I work days and nights. I dont see sun till Saturday... I know, thats pathetic, but its only temporary.

Anyways, maybe I could go home at lunch tomorrow and take some pics. But, what can I do? The pics will be just sparsley growing grass, if that.

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
If you look at the very right side of the pic, you can see where the Metro turns into Fescue. Clear as day.

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Sorry, see arrows

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Here is one. The line is where the Metro meets fescue.
I pointed out a few areas. It would appear lack of water is the issue, but I promiss I watered it on schedule, with timers.

dKoester
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Trees do drink up water quickly. Get the leaves up. Keep watering and it should come in fine. Check the PH near that tree line cause you might have to make some small adjustments. It takes 2 years on average to get a fully mature fescue lawn. What is the soil structure like out by those trees?

loom-gen
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Give it time and feed and water it properly. I had Transitions on six new yards this year and I was getting worried but it came in great after three weeks to a month. I planted after laborday in Kansas City Area.

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Give it time and feed and water it properly. I had Transitions on six new yards this year and I was getting worried but it came in great after three weeks to a month. I planted after laborday in Kansas City Area.

Yes, I keep thinking that too, but here I am at the 5-week mark, and it appears like its almost dying, or at least giving up on me. Also, in over the last two weeks, we've had a fairly substantial amount of rain. AN amount Im positive would be fine for grass seed. In between rains, weve had nice mild temps, plenty of sun, and all the makings for a picture perfect lawn, ie my front lawn.

Well anyways, I will keep at it, and keep the watering going. Also, ill try and get some better pictures. Aside from the starter I put down 2 weeks ago (Lesco 18-24-12) what should be down for feed?

Runner
10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
If you have put 2 aps of starter down thus far, don't worry too much about it yet. When all the grass stops growing (heightwise), give it a dose of straight nitrogen. This will then be taken up and stored as carbo.
Another thing, get rid of that straw you have packed on that spot in the foreground. Give it light and air.

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
If you have put 2 aps of starter down thus far, don't worry too much about it yet. When all the grass stops growing (heightwise), give it a dose of straight nitrogen. This will then be taken up and stored as carbo.
Another thing, get rid of that straw you have packed on that spot in the foreground. Give it light and air.

Dammit! You werent supposed to see that...... :hammerhead:

Is there something wrong with alittle straw? I use it on hilly areas just in case it rains heavy. Works wonders when applied correctly.

Runner
10-23-2007, 01:54 PM
LOL. Yeah, and how's it workin' out for ya now? There is too much there. I can tell just by looking at it. This all too common, though. Many people DO put too much on. Always remember...Seed needs light to germinate. While some will argue that yes, light does make it's way in, most of the needed light is kept out - defeating the purpose of the straw. For future reference, 30 to 50% of the total surface area should be covered. As far as your other areas though,...I think you'll be alright. Please DO let us know in a few more weeks, though.

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
LOL. Yeah, and how's it workin' out for ya now? There is too much there. I can tell just by looking at it. This all too common, though. Many people DO put too much on. Always remember...Seed needs light to germinate. While some will argue that yes, light does make it's way in, most of the needed light is kept out - defeating the purpose of the straw. For future reference, 30 to 50% of the total surface area should be covered. As far as your other areas though,...I think you'll be alright. Please DO let us know in a few more weeks, though.

Ok, got it. That straw you see was actually put there the day I took these pictures. Its on a hill, and my budder missed the spot with the over-seeder. So, I spot seeded it just 2 days ago, and threw alittle straw on it. I guess I might had over-did it alittle, but the other areas I strawed came in like picture perfect. When I mowed twice, it was all but mulched in and gone, so, Im thinking I did something right. :drinkup:

I will keep you posted. If its nice, ill take more pics this weekend.

dapiccolawn
10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Anyways, here it is 5 weeks later, and this area has nothing but seedlings. I mean, just about 1 inch of thinly grown grass. That is, if there is grass at all.
Any info would be a big help.

I don't know if they have it up in your area, but I usually use Lesco's Teammates or now they have teammates plus. It seems like with the mix of perennial rye in there the grass gets jumping within a week. Fescues are always slow to grow and slow to germinate in my experience.. Wait it out. The weather has been crazy as well..

-Dave

drumbo
10-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Here in NE Missouri, I have seen others lay the straw on heavy. It seems their lawns come in thicker due to moisture retention. We did a very large property and understrawed it and it came out kinda crappy...but it was mid-July and at their $1.2M home, they put off the landscaping till next year and decided against the sprinkler system...nightmare... I need a thread for it.

mdlwn1
10-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Fine fescue can feel as if it takes forever!...Like runner said

DoetschOutdoor
10-24-2007, 10:21 PM
We have the same situation here at my house with the front coming in great and the shady backyard is slower. Like others have said, its probably just that the shady areas take longer to become as established as an area that gets full sun.