PDA

View Full Version : Turf Help!!

CW 2007
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
I have question about a soccer field that my company has been asked to bid on. It is at the county YMCA and the problem is the field has areas with no grass, clumpy grass areas and just general all around poor turf. They want it gone over this fall so that in the spring the bad areas will have new grass. I am not an expert in this area of lawn care. I have had suggestions of adding a sand/peat moss mixture with grass seed or core aeration with a winterizer and overseed. I am not sure what to do or how to bid this job. We are located in Western Illinois. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

loom-gen
10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Man. Sand and peat moss? Winterizer and overseed? Who are these people?

Just kidding. But really. Sand is a good base for root establishment and peat is a good organic but the cost would be more than you need to do this job. You don't really want to use a high nytro for a starter fert. The percent of germination would be lower and slower. You also are really late in the season for trying to seed. You may want to reestablish the turf by aerating two or three times over and feeding the lawn higher recomended amounts of nytrogen and then dormant seeding over winter. After seeding, when the temps start rizing then hit the turf with a starter. The clumps result from stands of a tall fescue like kentucky 31 or some other thick bunch grass you may think about planting a complimentry grass.

Puttinggreens
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Aerate the he11 out of it, seed with perennial ryegreass at a slighly higher than normal rate, drag it and apply starter fert in 7 days. Yes it is late, but better to establish some grass now than try to compete with the weeds and crabgrass in the spring.

Clear-Cut
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
yea a mix perrenial ryegrass and tall fescues would be best probably because im sure that the field is going to be in the sun all day..plus perrenial ryegrass comes up pretty quickly. depending on the weather you might be able to get some grass growing b4 the frost sets in. other than that do as every1 else has said, aerate the hell out of it first then apply the fertilizer with phosphorus to get the roots goin

idk if you would want to go the route of sand jsut because it will take a lot of time and manpower to spread it out

btw...do they have irrigation set up on the field? this will make ur job a whole lot easier..just watch out when u aerate

Runner
10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I wish I was there.......

93Chevy
10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, don't use anything with high nigrogen. Higher potassium and potash is best for starting. Ryegrass comes up fast compared to other seeds.