PDA

View Full Version : It happened to me! Mower fell thru...

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Today i was out doing the regular maintenance at one of my residential accounts. As i was mowing i noticed this hole but it looked small like the size dug by a ground hog or smaller. Went past it then as i was coming back i started to go around and the mower just sank in. I pushed down the PTO and jumped off as fast as possible seeing this huge whole that was at least 4' deep and about 3' wide!:eek: Ended up having to pull the Walker out with the truck.

It was an old septic tank or something related to it, might have just been a drain from it but its a huge whole with cinder block walls and a wooden top that rotted through. No damage to the mower and i will fill and pack it in tomorrow. Customer and neighbor gave me a hand.

I know this has happened to others.

Some Pictures:

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 07:29 PM
more..............

Supper Grassy
10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
wow looks like you had an adventurous day

mkwl
10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
That stinks- lucky your whole mower didn't fall in!:dizzy:

deere615
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
That stinks. At least you didn't hurt the mower.

Supper Grassy
10-22-2007, 08:15 PM
i agree with both of you

Lawn Enforcer
10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow, that must have caught you off guard a little bit!

TriplePLandscaping
10-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow thats crazy. You think the fact that the walkers are longer save you from falling in?

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Wow thats crazy. You think the fact that the walkers are longer save you from falling in?

:dizzy: Yes it did catch me by surprise. Yes i think the way the Walker is designed it kept it from sinking deeper. Most of the weight is on the 2 drive tires but the deck and tall wheel were on both sides of the hole so it was just hanging on. Had to be real carefull pulling it out but it went smooth.

When i stuck my head in the hole it was amazing how large it was. The customer hired me on the spot to do what is needed to fill it properly and so on. It all happened after 4pm. so once everything was taken care of i didn't really have time to finish up this lawn or the other one after it.

Ron Marston
10-22-2007, 08:50 PM
mower looks ok but atleast you found it not a kid !!!!

Runner
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Same thing happened to me in a 150 year old cemetery. There's a good story about it on here somewhere.

srl28
10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Glad ur ok and got it out alright...Just next time use some chains or straps...that plastic coated steel cable isnt a great idea

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
mower looks ok but atleast you found it not a kid !!!!
That's right. These people don't have any young kid but still i was safer on the mower than just someone walking or running across the lawn. You could break you leg if you fell in. I'm also glad i wasn't on my walkbehind with the Velke.
Same thing happened to me in a 150 year old cemetery. There's a good story about it on here somewhere.
Was there a body in the hole?:laugh:
Glad ur ok and got it out alright...Just next time use some chains or straps...that plastic coated steel cable isnt a great idea
Those were break away cables used for towing a car behind an RV so i think tit was safe. I will take your advice though.

mattfromNY
10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Its probably an old hidden room where the owner kept his 'friends' that he abducted.
Just kidding. In Syracuse, NY there was a guy arrested for having one of those rooms.
Didnt they have a skit like that on Jackass? Where they dug a hole and had Phil fall into it?
Good thing you and the mower are safe.

mkwl
10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
:dizzy: Yes it did catch me by surprise. Yes i think the way the Walker is designed it kept it from sinking deeper. Most of the weight is on the 2 drive tires but the deck and tall wheel were on both sides of the hole so it was just hanging on. Had to be real carefull pulling it out but it went smooth.

When i stuck my head in the hole it was amazing how large it was. The customer hired me on the spot to do what is needed to fill it properly and so on. It all happened after 4pm. so once everything was taken care of i didn't really have time to finish up this lawn or the other one after it.

How can you recover? I assume you get out of school around 3PM? I'm home at 3:05PM and it's all I can do to get the equipment on the trailer and into the truck, and be onto the first lawn by 3:25PM. I did 4 alwns this afternoon, luckily my brothers took care of the one I was going to do yesterday, when I almost got a summons for working on Sunday :dizzy: . I was finnishing up the last lawn by the lights of my truck- only gets crazier from here on in (especially with daylight savings time :angry: )

Petr51488
10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
What did that hole used to be? It's lined with cinderblocks.

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Its probably an old hidden room where the owner kept his 'friends' that he abducted.
Just kidding. In Syracuse, NY there was a guy arrested for having one of those rooms.
Didnt they have a skit like that on Jackass? Where they dug a hole and had Phil fall into it?
Good thing you and the mower are safe.
Haha... I was joking about it after because it looked like a mass grave. I didn't see any bones or skeletons though unless the dirt fell on top.:laugh:
How can you recover? I assume you get out of school around 3PM? I'm home at 3:05PM and it's all I can do to get the equipment on the trailer and into the truck, and be onto the first lawn by 3:25PM. I did 4 alwns this afternoon, luckily my brothers took care of the one I was going to do yesterday, when I almost got a summons for working on Sunday :dizzy: . I was finishing up the last lawn by the lights of my truck- only gets crazier from here on in (especially with daylight savings time :angry: )
I'm going to get a load of fill from another landscaper that i know tomorrow and fill it in then put some top soil on that i have. Should work the wall is cinder block. I'm in college taking 4 classes so 3 days a week including today get home between 12:30 and 1pm. and 2 days a week i have only one class at 7:30 am then i am home at 9am. The shorter day light time still has an impact on what i can do so i'm usually go as fast as safely possible. I ordered lights for the Walker mower. Yeah i saw that crazy scenario you had on Sunday.

Landscape89
10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
That stinks dude.. I've never had anything like that happen to me (YET!). Glad your okay though. If your anything like me the reaction would have been something similar to this: :eek: :help: !!! Hahaha

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 09:27 PM

It had something to do with the old septic system or leach field before the house was tied in with the town sewer. It probably had those cinder block walls so what ever was in it would drain out the sides through those holes. I'm not positive as to what exactly it was but i'm going to try and find out.

Hope there aren't any other ones on this property.:laugh:

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
That stinks dude.. I've never had anything like that happen to me (YET!). Glad your okay though. If your anything like me the reaction would have been something similar to this: :eek: :help: !!! Hahaha

It made the day exciting, i guess:laugh: I've gotten mowers stuck a few times in mud but this was the first time i had to take the trailer off the truck and drive into the back yard and pull a mower out. Some how i knew it would happen someday:waving:

LindblomRJ
10-22-2007, 09:32 PM
I would like to hear Runner's story.

Dang that could have been a wild ride.

DBL
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
yeah.............those boards over the hole are great

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah.............those boards over the hole are great
You know its just make shift so no one falls in:hammerhead: It will be a taken care of tomorrow.

Fairway Land & Lawn
10-22-2007, 10:09 PM

This hole seems to be a very old "ground water" well. Usually thy were lined with boards or railroad ties, but some I have seen are cinder block. How old is this property?

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
This hole seems to be a very old "ground water" well. Usually thy were lined with boards or railroad ties, but some I have seen are cinder block. How old is this property?

The homeowner showed me were he thought the septic and well used to be which was about 20' - 30' away. The sides are all line with cinder block and i did see peices of wood in the hole. He though it may have been a like a holding tank that the septic tank went to. the septic tank was closer to the house near the basement bulkhead and the well was on the other side about 20' away from the brick chimney. I don't think this house is very old unless there was one before it. I will take better pics of the hole before i fill it.

Here are some pics of the property and house taken the same day.

KS_Grasscutter
10-22-2007, 10:32 PM
So did it bend the deck and/or hanger?

RedMax Man
10-22-2007, 10:36 PM
So did it bend the deck and/or hanger?

Nope. Those decks can flex and float in all direction basically. You have a Walker right? As far as i know there was no damage.

KS_Grasscutter
10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Nope. Those decks can flex and float in all direction basically. You have a Walker right? As far as i know there was no damage.

Yea, a 42" MCGHS.

RedMax Man
10-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Filled in the whole with a full dump insert load of dirt then i drove over it with my truck to pack it. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Here are some pics of it fixed:

DBL
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
well that sure wont happen again with all that dirt

deere615
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Looks nice, that was a pretty big hole!

Supper Grassy
10-23-2007, 07:15 PM
wow, big hole good fix

Matts lawn care
10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Glad to see that you are ok. thats a lot of dirt into that small hole there should not be any settling there. Nice fix!

kpetzold
10-24-2007, 03:04 AM
That stinks- lucky your whole mower didn't fall in!:dizzy:

i think what you ment to say is ( that sinks) lol, glad you and the mower are ok . karl

ZOO YORK
10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
now i see this does happen to others. glad you were ok

i have a story for all of you. we were doing a clean up at an account and i had the back pack blower cleanin up around back. i actually fell threw the earth into a large sinkhole with the blower on up to my chest:dizzy: the guys had to dig aroung the blower to get me out. it was scary but ended up getting a nice size job repairing it:weightlifter:

DixieFerris
10-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Good thing you were driving a Walker. At 3-4MPH, you really couldn't get hurt, haha kidding!

RedMax Man
10-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Glad to see that you are ok. thats a lot of dirt into that small hole there should not be any settling there. Nice fix!
The insert on the truck was full up to the sideboards, I thought i was going to have way more than i needed. Turned out to be just the right amount.
now i see this does happen to others. glad you were ok

i have a story for all of you. we were doing a clean up at an account and i had the back pack blower cleanin up around back. i actually fell threw the earth into a large sinkhole with the blower on up to my chest:dizzy: the guys had to dig aroung the blower to get me out. it was scary but ended up getting a nice size job repairing it:weightlifter:

Funny you mention that because a buddy of mine was telling yesterday how the same happen to him last year. Had a backpack on doing a fall cleanup and fell into a ditch up to his waist. He told the lady, " You have a hole in your yard".
Yeah i got paid to repair and fill the hole. Customer was pleased and thankful it wasn't any worse.

NNJLandman
10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
I had a new customer at the beginning of this year hire us for full maintenance. Nice house in a gated community, so we go do the spring cleanup. Place was a mess, they didn't have a fall cleanup by whoever took care of it last. So were working me and my worker blowing all these leaves when all of a sudden my guy's one foot...WOOSH! right through the ground up to his upper thigh. Dropped my blower and got him out, luckily he was fine, but sure enough, old septic improperly abondoned was now a huge sink hole, we finished the cleanup and I advised the customer. But it was crazy the hole on the ground was probably around 2-3' and about 6-7' deep, when you looked inside it was about 6' cement walled area. Glad I didn't put my mower on the lawn would lost it with the weight of it.

Jeff

RedMax Man
10-24-2007, 06:01 PM
I had a new customer at the beginning of this year hire us for full maintenance. Nice house in a gated community, so we go do the spring cleanup. Place was a mess, they didn't have a fall cleanup by whoever took care of it last. So were working me and my worker blowing all these leaves when all of a sudden my guy's one foot...WOOSH! right through the ground up to his upper thigh. Dropped my blower and got him out, luckily he was fine, but sure enough, old septic improperly abondoned was now a huge sink hole, we finished the cleanup and I advised the customer. But it was crazy the hole on the ground was probably around 2-3' and about 6-7' deep, when you looked inside it was about 6' cement walled area. Glad I didn't put my mower on the lawn would lost it with the weight of it.

Jeff

Sound very similar to this situation. This was about the same size, maybe 1' less deep.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
It happened to a guy 2 towns over from me , however hes not around to tell the story.
He was riding a 42 wright stander, The rear of the mower fell backwards crushing his chest, the front of the mower stayed up and the guy fell halfway into the hole.
He was suffocated.
Ill see if I can find pics from my local news.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Landscaper dies after fall into cesspool

“It seems like a tragic accident”

A Central Islip landscaper died Tuesday of his injuries after falling into a cesspool while cutting a Deer Park lawn and being crushed by the quarter-ton mower, police said.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 10:16 AM
This is from the NEW YORK TIMES
June 13, 2007
Metro Briefing | New York
Deer Park: Landscaper Killed in Cesspool Collapse
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A landscaper died yesterday morning when he fell into a cesspool while cutting a back lawn in Deer Park, the police said. The worker, Sergio Reyes, 34, of Central Islip, was working for a relative’s landscaping company and riding a stand-up lawnmower about noon when the cesspool collapsed, said Detective Sgt. Paul Dodorico of the Suffolk County police. Mr. Reyes and the lawnmower were found in the six-foot-deep cesspool by a co-worker who had been cutting the front lawn, the police said. Sergeant Dodorico said Mr. Reyes’s death appeared to be an accident. An autopsy was scheduled.

RedMax Man
10-27-2007, 06:50 PM
This is from the NEW YORK TIMES
June 13, 2007
Metro Briefing | New York
Deer Park: Landscaper Killed in Cesspool Collapse
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A landscaper died yesterday morning when he fell into a cesspool while cutting a back lawn in Deer Park, the police said. The worker, Sergio Reyes, 34, of Central Islip, was working for a relative’s landscaping company and riding a stand-up lawnmower about noon when the cesspool collapsed, said Detective Sgt. Paul Dodorico of the Suffolk County police. Mr. Reyes and the lawnmower were found in the six-foot-deep cesspool by a co-worker who had been cutting the front lawn, the police said. Sergeant Dodorico said Mr. Reyes’s death appeared to be an accident. An autopsy was scheduled.

That's scary, i remember hearing about that several months ago. Thank God it didn't happen to me.