PDA

View Full Version : Fencing with a skid steer

ASCHAL45
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Does anyone on here do fencing with a skid steer my nieghbor has 2700 lineal feet of fence he wants me to install I have been lookin at skid steer mounted post drivers. Pretty dang expensive but I was just wondering if it was a popular practice to use a skid instead of a tractor to install fence.

YellowDogSVC
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I used to drill a lot of holes with a skid for the fence guys here. Don't know about the post drivers though. I think a skid is more versatile overall for fencing because you can clear a fence line too.

ASCHAL45
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
That is what i was thinking. I really dont want to invest that kind of money into an attachment for just one job but it might be worth it in the long run if I advertise for that kind of work. There is a driver out there for a skid steer that has an auger built in aswell in the 8 to 10 thousand range but like I said alot of money and this job wouldnt pay for the attachment let alone the labor or costs well I guess I will have to do a lil more figurin on this one I would hate to lose this customer he just bought a farm beside me that had been run down for years and he is doin alot of cleanup on it could have alot of work for me. He is from delaware or somewhere up there and he said everyone he knows does fencing with a skid but everyone i know uses a tractor but I dont kno yet.

Construct'O
10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I saw a neat thing for stringing your wire out by using your skid.I almost bought one off ebay.It is make in Canada it is called a Mulespool or Spoolmule.

It is a spool setup (mounts on the front of your skid,just like all your other attachments) that you can put more then one roll of barbwire on.It showed it unrollering 5 roll at one time,it also had woven wire being strung out also.

Had a brake to help keep the wire tight as you was unrolling it or when you got to the end you could hold the wires and backup and tighen the wire with the skid.

It was offset so you could run down along the side of the posts.It had a tilt so you could tilt it down to load the wire and then tilt it up to start strunging.I thought it would be great if i was doing custom fencing it would well pay for itself.

Fence builders here keep busy,plus some are now doing goverment jobs of fenceing like hughway right aways,lakes,playground ,you name it.

I have also seen where a guy just made a pole and put a big disk blade on the bottom and slide the wire on it and started strunging.Wire just spun on the pole and the disk supported the bottom,cheap starter up rig for you.
Good luck:usflag:

ASCHAL45
10-22-2007, 11:09 PM
I have done alot of government fence with the company I work for right now. I have seen spools like that we rented one for a job we did a couple years ago but we cant find one now to rent so we just use one on a three point hitch. I need some information on skid mounted drivers. Government fence is set in concrete so you dont use a post driver you just use an auger and a kitty well for the t post. On the spool I have never seen one with the tilt the one we used we had to unhook it every time and then hook it back up really time consuming if u ask me that tilt would help out alot thanks constructo.

ipm
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey guys. Just passing through and wanted to add the thought of rental. If you have skid simply rent and auger attachment for your posts.

backhoe1
10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
We rented a pull behind pounder that worked awesome! Had it's own motor and pump so it's not shaking the heck out of your machine. Dealer said it was only about $8k to buy.

Construct'O
10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Here you go.It was Spoolmule!

Here the link if it's okay to post it.
http://www.northerngreenup.com/index.html

I think you would love this thing if your really serious about fencing.Hope it will help.:usflag:

Fieldman12
10-23-2007, 12:52 AM
I went to a school with a guy whoose family did fencing for a living with a skid steer. I have not seen him in a good while to know exactly his whole setup.

ASCHAL45
10-23-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought of the pull behind machine but my nieghbors farm is rough. The reason he wanted me to do it was because there are some really tight spots that you wouldnt be able to get a tractor through without clearing out alot of trees that his other nieghbor really dont want to mess with and there is just about 4 or 5 feet of clearance plenty for a skid but not a tractor. let alone a truck or anything I looked at the ones that mount on the side of a flatbed pickup but then again the same problem. Plus my machine will be sitting there not making any money so I would really like to use it. If I go through with the whole Idea.

MarcSmith
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
quick attach earth auger which connects to a skid loader is only $2200....I think it would be much more versatile than just a pile driver.....the quick sledge runs just under 7g.....

Just think if you have a bunch of trees to plant hook up the auger an go...

ASCHAL45
10-23-2007, 03:20 PM
I have an auger but 2700 feet of fence is almost 200 holes to dig and tamp with a post every 16 ft apart and all your pull and brace post as well that doesnt include hand driving t post. It can be done but it would be time consuming.

tallrick
10-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I built a post driver for my skidsteer years back and ended up installing fences for construction sites and homeowners for temporary use. It was not difficult at all and I developed a way of doing it easliy. Most of the time you need two people, one to set the pole and one to run the skidsteer but I made a special rack to avoid that hassle. I took a broken jackhammer attatchment and a piece of pipe, and created a holding fixture that allowed you to pick poles out of the rack, hold and place them before driving them in. Only bad thing is that I was using a radial lift skid steer so it took some practice to get the poles in straight. I also used the skidsteer to handle and stretch the chain link fabric after placing, by myself I could install about 300 feet of fence in one hour under ideal conditions. In the woods it took over twice as long. If you are working in soft soil or sand with steel poles, either for chain link or barbed wire it is definately worth it. I am going to look and see if I still have pics of the rig I built.

ASCHAL45
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I would appreciate it?

ipm
10-24-2007, 10:39 PM
You must be installing a chain link fence? I apologize. In that case it would be more cost efficient to use a driver.

ASCHAL45
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
No it is woven wire fence. But the post driver would make the post more stable and a whole lot easier than just drilling holes because you can drive a post in ideal ground in as little as 30 seconds. It would be hard to drill a hole and set a post in that amount of time. That is why I am trying to justify the purchase of one. Because I love new toys!