PDA

View Full Version : Down with the rental compressor

amar
10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm sick or renting a tow behind compressor. I see guys blowing systems out with a 6.5 hp saddle tank compressors every day. They don't even put out 12CFM IF i buy a I/R 13hp Honda 26CFM am I safe on residential systems?

BSME
10-22-2007, 10:56 PM
sure... if you're a lawn cutter looking to dabble in the sprinkler business 3 weeks a year. The problem with those unprofessional compressors is it's hard to charge professional prices. I saw a "sprinkler company" winterizing today out of a minivan... doesnt mean you should do it

send the repair work my way in the spring

Mjtrole
10-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Think long term. I was out on friday, pulled up to a house and two guys in a van were blowing out a small daycare building that couldn't have had more than 6-7 zones, well my customer wasn't home I kept on my route came back finished hers and the two guys were still blowing out this place. I looked at what they were using and it was a small compressor like you are describing in the back of the van.

So I took care of 4 blowouts in 45min-hour while these two guys were screwing around still, my 4 clients were very close (actually within 3 blocks) so I did $220 worth of blowouts with my 185 while these guys were getting maybe $85 at the most.

If you can look around try and locate a 110 for residentials to buy, I don't know what you pay but we bought a 185 5-6 years ago and have saved thousands in rental costs.

BSME
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I think you should own just so you can have a long winterizing season. We started late september and will go until late november.

I have a IR 185 but will rent another one this year for two weeks (this week and next week) because of the late warm weather we are getting a rush here. I also know a lot of people return their compressors at the end of October... I think that'll make it easier for us that are still doing blowouts in November.

BSME
10-22-2007, 11:33 PM
sigh... I'm moving to a different market... If I can make money here I can get rich somewhere else

please look at some of these....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/bbb?query=sprinkler

if you charge like this I guess you cant afford to buy or rent a tow behind

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-23-2007, 12:05 AM
One of the downsides to craigslist. Gives FBNs free advertisement.

melior quam pluvia
10-23-2007, 12:38 AM
$20...Northern trunk slammer;)

Flow Control
10-23-2007, 06:54 AM
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: MICHIGAN MARKET :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Flow Control
10-23-2007, 06:59 AM
We entered a new market recently and while I was shutting down a customers house he was said business must be good if you are in more then one area. I looked at him and said business is good, since the problem is not finding a company to service a system the problem is finding a quality company to service your system and one that answers the phones and responds to a customers needs. And that is why I am at your house today sir. He just looked at me like I found the fountain of youth.

Wet_Boots
10-23-2007, 07:56 AM
(razzafrazzin' scrubs)

jerryrwm
10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Still think there is a good reason for irrigation licensing. It won't keep the clowns out of the business if they pass the testing, but it will give some recourse to consumers if they screw things up.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Licensing also shows experience factor. I wince when I see trucks claiming 10 years plus experience with a number in the 5 digits here.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-23-2007, 09:08 AM
For that matter anybody with a number less than 1000 should get 200/hr
less than 2000 175/hr
and so on. Get my drift?:rolleyes:

melior quam pluvia
10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm sure some won't like my opinion on this one, mostly b/c people are afraid of change. Licensing can be good and bad. In Florida, licensing is required in certain parts. The only problem is that is the licensing is apart of the plumbing code and is interpreted much differently depending on the city/county you are working in. It definitely keeps some contractors out of some cities b/c the inspectors are very difficult. At the same time, there are still trunk slammers out there. With so many trunk slammers and cities on tight budgets, "there isn't much extra time to enforce the codes." It's mostly enforced when a licensed contractor pitches a fit.
Licensing overall is good. It does set somewhat of a standard to how a system is installed. It also qualifies that contractor with the end user.

Ground Master
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm sick or renting a tow behind compressor. I see guys blowing systems out with a 6.5 hp saddle tank compressors every day. They don't even put out 12CFM IF i buy a I/R 13hp Honda 26CFM am I safe on residential systems?

I use a similiar machine - a 30 cfm Curtis compressor and it works very well on resi systems in my area. I like that it fits in the back of my van.

jerryrwm
10-23-2007, 12:02 PM
For that matter anybody with a number less than 1000 should get 200/hr
less than 2000 175/hr
and so on. Get my drift?:rolleyes:I could go with that. And those that are over 16000 have to pay?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
our girl

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/makingiteasy.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/donewith40cfm.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/compressorshot1.jpg

after work
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/wewt-1.jpg

Mike Leary
10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
How old is "Bess the compress"?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
How old is "Bess the compress"?

mike check out this pic I scoffed off that other website..

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/attachment-1.jpg

dude that looks insane..you ever seen that?

Mike Leary
10-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Looks like one toasted compressor & even the dog looks confused. Note the
the beer belly "experts" standing by!:dizzy:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Looks like one toasted compressor & even the dog looks confused. Note the
the beer belly "experts" standing by!:dizzy:

HA!!!!!!lol@ the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does a compressor catch fire? run to long?

Mike Leary
10-23-2007, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=CAPT Stream Rotar;2007427
How does a compressor catch fire? run to long?[/QUOTE]

Nope, as posted, ours runs for hours at end...I'd say..old timer compress,
bought at surplus..not maintained...gas leak to hot manifold..ka boom!:nono: