PDA

View Full Version : leaves on the lawn but not time for fall clean up?

Clear-Cut
10-23-2007, 02:02 PM
what do you do when it is mid october and there are a decent amount of leaves on the lawn but it isnt time for the full fall cleanup?

do you just mulch it and leave it on the lawn?

do you bag it with your mower?

do you blow the leaves and throw them in the truck/leave them at the curb?
(if you do this what do you charge in comparison to a full fall clean up)

for a full fall cleanup i clean out the beds, blow the leaves and leave them at the curb and pick up any debris. i usually do this when the grass goes dormant. I charge an hourly rate of $30 an hour for cleanup (dont tell me that it is too low, this is the going rate in my area).

so what is the best way and what do you charge per man hour?

shane mapes
10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Here in ca. we just do a little each week. Make the customer happy. But also we mow all year long with only a few missed mows per year. But if you can do a little bit per week without much more time then what does it hurt?

jpp
10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Start your fall cleanups now. Don't wait until they all come down. I have a couple of properties that already have had leaves done on them two times. A third time this week if we can get to them. If you are in area that has curbside pick up leave them there.If you have to haul them away then do that. Don't leave money sitting out there.

Clear-Cut
10-23-2007, 06:59 PM
good call....

but how i charge for fall cleanup is $30 an hour with a minimum of one hour

so if it only takes me 20 minutes to clean everything up and put the leaves at the curb then its still $30. should i still charge $30 min? i have done a couple so far and it only takes about 30 minutes to clear the lawn so i was just charging $15

what do u guys think?

tbettis
10-23-2007, 07:04 PM
15.00? just charge a flat rate of 30.00/hr with a 1hr mim

gene gls
10-23-2007, 09:50 PM
good call....

but how i charge for fall cleanup is $30 an hour with a minimum of one hour

so if it only takes me 20 minutes to clean everything up and put the leaves at the curb then its still $30. should i still charge $30 min? i have done a couple so far and it only takes about 30 minutes to clear the lawn so i was just charging $15

what do u guys think?

If I blow the leaves off before I mow, I keep track of the time and charge accordingly. If I collect the whole lawn, then I track the total time and compare it to just a normal mow and charge the extra. Also, I would say your labor rate is way low. The cost of living has to be higher in N.J. than it is where I am in the boonies.

Clear-Cut
10-23-2007, 11:12 PM
well the yards that i do are 2000sqft to 3000sqft (3000 is considered a large lawn in my town)

plus im not really doing a full cleanup...all im doing is blowing the leaves off of the lawn. thats why i dont really want to charge the $30 because im not doing a full cleanup. i just dont think that would be fair to the customer

and i dont do a perfect job of blowing...i leave a couple of leaves on the lawn and let the mower just mulch it up

Rax
10-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Are there any leaves that are harmful to the grass when mulched up?
For example, are there any that are highly acidic?

Stillwater
10-24-2007, 04:14 AM
Pine needle is and excessive amounts of mulched leaves is not good either

Matts lawn care
10-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Any one who has not yet decided on a fall clean-up plan just gets the regular mow. I have 10 bi-weekly leaf removal plans going right now. The leaves are falling!

Cliffside Stump Grinding
10-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Dont think anybody threw up the new grass flag yet when bagging. Ive heard that bagging with new grass isnt good, because obviolsy you could suck up seeds and/or starter fert. Also, Ive learned that higher horspower leaf blowers and newer grass dont work well together. :eek: Will take it right up if your not careful. If this is the case, instruct your guys to throttle the thing way down, and take care not to uproot/uplift newer grass, or worse even, turf. That stuff will come up in sheets.

Ive been mowing once/twice a week. If theres a few leaves, I mulch em up. Any more than that requires some cleaning up though.

Last week, my lawn was picture perfect on Sunday, then we got a wind storm Sunday night...... :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Clear-Cut
10-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Are there any leaves that are harmful to the grass when mulched up?
For example, are there any that are highly acidic?

no, but it looks like crap unless i go over it a couple times..i would rather just blow the leaves then go over the entire lawn 2-3 times

mdlwn1
10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Do whatever is faster....lol I find it interesting that the rate just north of you and south of you is double what you are charging. At the pace we work at, you would not break even at 30/hour.

Clear-Cut
10-24-2007, 04:51 PM
maybe its just my town...idk

i should ad that i am a sole prop and my only expenses are materials and fuel basically