PDA

View Full Version : New 21" John Deere- JS40

Landscape89
10-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I know most will ask why just a 21" and not bigger. I do only about 10 lawns, and this will replace my old Crapsman Hi-Vac mower. So far, after putting it thru a few uses, it outperforms Craftsman in almost EVERY feature!

Picture 1: Side View of mower. 8.75 Torque B&S Intek Engine
Picture 2: Front view and view of Swivel Wheels
Picture 3: View from Operators Position, Handle on the left is Ground Speed and Handle on the right is Drive Eng./Dis. Top Speed: 3.6MPH!
Picture 4: Another feature which I am a fan of. On the two front swivel wheels is the lever to raise the height for the front wheels. Much easier than my Crapsman, as that had a screw you had to pull out and figure out which matched which height to the back. Height Adj. on the Crapsman: 5-8 min, On the JD: 1-2 min! Also, the Crapsman had no grease fittings to grease the casters, and I had quite a few times where they would fail to work. The JD came with fittings and Im very pleased!
Picture 5: Dont let the picture fool you! For a small vacuum shoot this mower sucks up leaves, wet/dry grass and pine needles with ease! Cuts very nicely too.

*All in all, a HUGE upgrade improvement from the Crapsman. One Pull and it fires right up. Plenty of Power, Excellent Vacuum capability, Not too bad on Fuel Consumption.. IMO a REALLY nicely designed machine! :usflag:

deere615
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Very Nice mower. I always thought about getting one with the swivel wheels. PS where did you get your green barrels from, I have always heard home depot but mine doesn't sell them?

93Chevy
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
How do you like the swivel wheels? I've never used a 21" with swivels.

Landscape89
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Very Nice mower. I always thought about getting one with the swivel wheels. PS where did you get your green barrels from, I have always heard home depot but mine doesn't sell them?

I got mine at Home Depot as well. They dont sell them in the Lawn and Garden section, I think it was Janitorial supplies section of the store.

Landscape89
10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
How do you like the swivel wheels? I've never used a 21" with swivels.

The Swivels are perfect for mowing around lawn edges and beds. IMO it makes mowing a lot easier, but thats just me!

WJW Lawn
10-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Keep your reciept handy! I bought one last year...it lasted 2 weeks, and then it didnt self propel anymore...so I took it back. It could have been i just bought a lemon.

Supper Grassy
10-24-2007, 06:19 AM
looks good my home depot has the grenn barrels with the regular trash cans

grassmanak
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
same here, i bought one last year and the self propel system is grinding on any sort of a incline now, also my handle that you squeeze snapped,

ACEMowing
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
I've heard that the John Deere walks like that are now built by Snapper... they do look a lot like the Snapper Easy Line at:

http://www.snapper.com/easy_line.html

Can you tell by comparing?

Landscape89
10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I've heard that the John Deere walks like that are now built by Snapper... they do look a lot like the Snapper Easy Line at:

http://www.snapper.com/easy_line.html

Can you tell by comparing?

Yes. Just by looking at the Snapper I can tell it has a very similar design to the JD, as well as most of the features.

deere615
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I got mine at Home Depot as well. They dont sell them in the Lawn and Garden section, I think it was Janitorial supplies section of the store.

Thanks. I could have swore I looked all over the store, I will have too look again.

93Chevy
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Can you lock the swivels? That may come in handy mowing banks. However, if you mow flat properties, then that wouldn't matter.

Landscape89
10-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Can you lock the swivels? That may come in handy mowing banks. However, if you mow flat properties, then that wouldn't matter.

Yes. You can actually lock the swivels from the Operators Position on this mower!

93Chevy
10-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Wow. That's nifty.

deere615
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Ya that is pretty cool, I never heard of that before! Makes me want to buy one!!!

cgaengineer
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Yes the frame is made by Snapper, but the JD has a B&S with cast iron bore and the Snapper doesnt, the snapper also doesnt have mulch plug or the door on chute that closes.

The tranny's on both mowers are plastic and after buying one and seeing it was plastic I never cut one blade of grass with it and took it back.

zurfsturfcare
11-03-2007, 03:37 PM
JD made the JS63c about 5 or 6 years ago with the same features. This is merely an update. I have the JS63c, still running and i got a 40 this spring. love em both

jaybow
11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=WJW Lawn;2008184]Keep your reciept handy! I bought one last year...it lasted 2 weeks, and then it didnt self propel anymore...so I took it back. It could have been i just bought a lemon.

I think the whole design is a lemon.I bought one this spring and took it right back.I hated the bag setup and the deck was verry flimsy.And for the price they want for those things you could nearly buy a commercial 21 inch mower.
My first and probably my last john deere mower.I bought a lawnboy with a much better bag setup and the machine has a much more rigid feeling deck.

jaybow
11-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes. You can actually lock the swivels from the Operators Position on this mower!

If I remember right you can lock only one of the casters.

zurfsturfcare
11-04-2007, 09:30 AM
yup u can only lock the left side, the old ones both locked but in theory only one really needs to lock to make a straight line

Raven386
11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
you can get those green barrels from the Lesco stores too. or you can pick them up from the dump when a couple of idiots leave them there. new one cost $45 w/tax from Lesco.

RedMax Man
11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
That John Deere can side discharge too right? Looks like a nice Machine.

zurfsturfcare
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
side discharge, mulch n bag

ATL Lawn
11-13-2007, 01:53 AM
ill admit i love "swivels" after 1 day using a swivels.. you'l love it..

takes a few hrs to get use to, but it saves a few seconds on every turn..
but keep your weler handy, they break usualy once a year..