PDA

View Full Version : Guys that Brush Mow

YellowDogSVC
10-23-2007, 09:14 PM
What do you guys use protection brush mowing with a high flow grinder like FAE, Fecon, Magnum, etc.? I run a Bobcat s300 with polycarbonate and a CAT mulcher which does eject material towards the door quite often. How many of you use glass? If you use polycarbonate, what thickness do you use?

bobcatboy
10-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I have a s250 k series with a bull hog. I have a standard glass with 12gadge expanded metal that mounts on pegs. That helps when I use my loader for other things

YellowDogSVC
10-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a s250 k series with a bull hog. I have a standard glass with 12gadge expanded metal that mounts on pegs. That helps when I use my loader for other things

Have you broken glass yet? I have been using the poly for some time and though bobcat stopped making the 1/4", I found a supplier on my own who made me a 3/16" identical curved polycarbonate. I wanted to use glass but have broken some in the past.

bobcatboy
10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
broke my first window today, looks like I'm going to have to get a poly window monday. I hit a rock saw it in slow motion there went the window my day was done.

YellowDogSVC
10-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Send me a PM if you can't get a poly window to fit your door frame. I went through that earlier this summer. Bobcat told me that no 1/4 lexan was available for their door frames because they were not making any more. I had 2 custom made. Expensive compared to the original but I didn't want a 3/4 bolt on that leaks dust and will scratch too. I can get two 1/4" for the price of 1 3/4" window.

Digdeep
10-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I've seen the ASV RC100s with their forestry packages and they use a door with heavy duty framing and a 1/2inch polycarbonate door that you can push out with two handles if the the machine shuts down and the loader arms are inoperable and the muclhing head is sitting too high to open the door. It can be popped out and put back in with the use of the handles. I definitely wouldn't mulch or use a rotary brush cutter with a glass window. I know that this was such a concern when I sold Bobcats that their rotary head had a chain that would prevent the attachment from being raised above 10" off of the ground. It is true that lexan and polycarbonate are expensive, but the cost is quite a bit less than the cost of having a rock thrown through the window. I have seen a mulcher grab onto a barbwire fence and rip up 100s of feet of it with the old wood posts and crap flying toward the machine. Not a pretty sight.

Gravel Rat
10-27-2007, 09:27 PM
You want the material used in the windows of Forestry machines like a tree processor or a feller buncher its designed to resist flying debris. I think they are poly carbonate and they seem to work fine.

YellowDogSVC
10-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Polycarbonate and Lexan are one in the same, I believe. Lexan is the brand name. It scratches so easy that all you have to do is look at it wrong but it is impact resistant. I have had plenty of missiles ejected with brush mower and 1/4" has stopped them all. The ones I just had made are slightly smaller, more like 3/16 but rated to 300mph impact. I had a piece of metal eject and almost go through 1/4" but it stopped it. Left a burn hole in the poly/lexan.

The one bobcat option really stinks. Bolt onto the outside of the frame 3/4" poly. No way to pop window out. Bobcat forestry door is much more expensive but supposedly sealed better and will pop out but don't know specifics on it as it wasn't ready in the summer when I had my issues with new machine.

There are a lot of guys using glass... I wouldn't even if I kept my mower on the ground. Ricochet effect.

Construct'O
10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Polycarbonate and Lexan are one in the same, I believe. Lexan is the brand name. It scratches so easy that all you have to do is look at it wrong but it is impact resistant. I have had plenty of missiles ejected with brush mower and 1/4" has stopped them all. The ones I just had made are slightly smaller, more like 3/16 but rated to 300mph impact. I had a piece of metal eject and almost go through 1/4" but it stopped it. Left a burn hole in the poly/lexan.

The one bobcat option really stinks. Bolt onto the outside of the frame 3/4" poly. No way to pop window out. Bobcat forestry door is much more expensive but supposedly sealed better and will pop out but don't know specifics on it as it wasn't ready in the summer when I had my issues with new machine.

There are a lot of guys using glass... I wouldn't even if I kept my mower on the ground. Ricochet effect.

Maybe a person could use the glass in the door one then mount the poly glass one over the front of the glass.Make it easy to remove to clean and store when not in use for brushcutting,etc.

You see the wiremess guards used on stuff.I realize the dust getting behind would be the biggest problem.Just something to think about.If theres a will theres away right!!!!!! Good luck:usflag:

YellowDogSVC
10-28-2007, 01:28 AM
I would think the dust would be the big problem. The poly glass could be glued or affixed over the glass but you would have to seal out dust or in about 10 mintues you couldn't see but it would still scratch. I use a wiper with my poly's and if the wiper gets messed up or something gets trapped between blade and poly/lexan, it scratches.
Poly also attracts dust on the inside from the cab. I use a "california duster" to wipe periodically. Real pain. I really like the glass doors better but not for brush grinding. The glass is slightly tinted, or so it seems, and the poly isn't and lets much more heat through (or so it seems).