PDA

View Full Version : FYI..on underwater lights.

Lite4
10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I had dinner with a Vista rep last week and he was telling me about some guys having some problems with their underwater lights filling up with water. They checked the seals and they were working fine. What they discovered was the insulation jacket that the wires are encased in also has that little bit of string we all find annoying. What was happening was that the wires were sealed fine but the opening to the jacket was laying in the soil and in fairly wet locations was wicking up to 2 teaspoons of water back into the light fixture every day via the string. So much for those bulbs. Anyway probably a good idea to stick these exposed jackets in a DBY. Anybody else run into this?

Lite4
10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Sorry, forgot to post the pic.

ChampionLS
10-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Dip that end in Liquid electrical tape.

irrig8r
10-24-2007, 02:52 AM
I see what you mean. I've asked about the Nightscaping underwater fixture cables. Some of them come with a brown paper lining between the leads. I rip out what I can and seal the rest. Not sure how much wicking might occur with it because I seal it. Always have.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I have had a lot of trouble with Vista underwater and inground fixtures leaking and always blamed the wicking through the cable. I have also had same trouble in the past with Hadco ingrounds....

That being said, I have never had a Nightscaping Vermeer or INTEGRAliter or Wrightliter with moisture inside the body. Even in strong waterfall applications where they take a pounding.

Sealing up the cable ends of the other products makes sense to me. Simple and easy solution.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
We always seal the ends up really good if not place it in a J box (when there is conduit run into the fountain) We use the kicher 15191 for underwater lighting. Relamped one that was 5 years old with zero signs of water inside it.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
bummer. Underwater lights blow or in this case suck! I'd rather use LED in water so I don't have to change the bulbs...but then you'd have to pull the whole thing when the light dies so either way it sucks!