PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fly Lights

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Has anyone out there any experience using Fire Fly Lights like the ones in the link below?

http://www.fireflymagic.com/

I am thinking that in the right setting, applied in the right way, they might just be quite alluring.... but if the product is crap then I wouldnt consider it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Have a great day.

Lite4
10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Holy cow James, I was just looking at that site yesterday. They look kind of cool, Thinking I might try some in the right venue.

Pro-Scapes
10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
with the landscapers around here (yours truely not included) I think they would be gone within a few months. In the right setting maybe but .....Heck I bet homeowners would love em.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I just emailed them and asked if they would sell only the light modules and the controller, allowing me to custom wire them on site to fit my client's views and foliage.

Their kits look easy, but I think too limited for the scope of property I work on....I would rather have 12 fire flys scattered over say 50 to 100' of view rather then 12 feet of view. With our lot sizes, I would need a LOT of kits and then it would look too busy and fake

Lite4
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
James, do a google search on firefly lights and you will find other distributors that sell them in quantities of I believe 36 in a kit.

irrig8r
10-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Being from N. California, and not ever venturing much further east than New Mexico (except for a trip to Wash. D.C. once) I don't believe I've ever seen a live firefly. I've seen Disneyland's and Hollywood's versions, but that's all.

I don't know why we don't seem to have them here. Maybe they need a certain amount of humidity to thrive?

Anyway, I wouldn't be able to tell how real these lights appeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly

Mike M
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Maybe for a party or holiday as a novelty, but what about plant growth, hedge trimming, kids/animals getting tangled, stuff like that.

Pro-Scapes
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe for a party or holiday as a novelty, but what about plant growth, hedge trimming, kids/animals getting tangled, stuff like that.

maint nightmare the more i think about it. Only way I would do this probably is if my firm maintained the landscape as well.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Being from N. California, and not ever venturing much further east than New Mexico (except for a trip to Wash. D.C. once) I don't believe I've ever seen a live firefly. I've seen Disneyland's and Hollywood's versions, but that's all.

I don't know why we don't seem to have them here. Maybe they need a certain amount of humidity to thrive?

Anyway, I wouldn't be able to tell how real these lights appeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly

Gregg. You will have to come for a visit sometime in late July or August... we have fireflies here right outside our door almost every night. They are lovely to watch. The kids think they are magical, which they are.

Given the nature of our landscapes here (not urban in the least) I think these would be a hit with my clients, spread widely about across the bush. Guranteed fire flys on a switch.... so they dont get tired.

Have a great day.

Eden Lights
10-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Didn't you guys get started in lighting by using a jar of fireflys or by smashing a hundred or so on your white shirt and running around the yard after dark?

Lite4
10-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I like em, (obviously), a good tag line maybe, "Catch the magic of the night". HMMMM.

Chris J
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
There is a company/manufacturer here that some of you guys may have heard of called Lion Lighting. I believe these are the guys that manufacture the Safety Volt transformers (or are at least a distributor) They promote these, but I never really saw any value in it. Then again, I probably don't like them because my competitor promotes it. Foolish I guess, but that's just me. I want to be different than the rest.

irrig8r
10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Gregg. You will have to come for a visit sometime in late July or August... we have fireflies here right outside our door almost every night. They are lovely to watch. The kids think they are magical, which they are.

Given the nature of our landscapes here (not urban in the least) I think these would be a hit with my clients, spread widely about across the bush. Guranteed fire flys on a switch.... so they dont get tired.

Have a great day.

My girlfriend remembers catching them in jars when she was a kid in rural Ohio. She also says there was a distinctive odor the next morning if you didn't let them out and they died.

NightScenes
10-24-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a friend who put them in her yard. I went over there the other night, not knowing about the firefly lights and when I walked up I could swear they were real!! She told me that she had put them in a few months ago and they attracted a bunch of fireflies.

Mike & Lucia
10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I used several sets from Firefly Magic last February in our award-winning garden. It was a "fairy" garden, designed by my colleague and friend, Susan Cohan. I just scanned our photos, but couldn't find one that showed the fireflies - there was just too much ambient light that we couldn't control.

Anyway - the kids loved them. The effect is quite realistic, color and flash rate and fade, are well thought out. It takes some time to get them set up properly, but hey, we should all be used to that, right? And not too bright at all.

So, they've been sitting in my office for months now, four sets of 12(?). And, just today I figured out where I will use them. It will be a gift (surprise) for a client I just began working with. They will be tucked into the rhododendron hedge surrounding his children's playhouse. Not much other lighting in the area. The darker the better.

I've got an idea (maybe this will set a precedent), starting with James:

I'll ship them to James. Play around with 'em. Set them up, run them for a couple of nights. Then, when you are finished, ship them to the next guy who wants to play. And so on...

I'm sure we all have something laying around that could benefit our forum brethren. A library of equipment, if you will. If not, OK, at least the fireflies can make the rounds. I'll pick them up in Phoenix this January!

Let me know what you think.

Mike

Lite4
10-24-2007, 11:27 PM
cool idea, I like it. Sign me up for the rotation.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I used several sets from Firefly Magic last February in our award-winning garden. It was a "fairy" garden, designed by my colleague and friend, Susan Cohan. I just scanned our photos, but couldn't find one that showed the fireflies - there was just too much ambient light that we couldn't control.

Anyway - the kids loved them. The effect is quite realistic, color and flash rate and fade, are well thought out. It takes some time to get them set up properly, but hey, we should all be used to that, right? And not too bright at all.

So, they've been sitting in my office for months now, four sets of 12(?). And, just today I figured out where I will use them. It will be a gift (surprise) for a client I just began working with. They will be tucked into the rhododendron hedge surrounding his children's playhouse. Not much other lighting in the area. The darker the better.

I've got an idea (maybe this will set a precedent), starting with James:

I'll ship them to James. Play around with 'em. Set them up, run them for a couple of nights. Then, when you are finished, ship them to the next guy who wants to play. And so on...

I'm sure we all have something laying around that could benefit our forum brethren. A library of equipment, if you will. If not, OK, at least the fireflies can make the rounds. I'll pick them up in Phoenix this January!

Let me know what you think.

Mike

Wow... Thank you Mike! :clapping:

That is a very generous offer... Now you do realize that all of our leaves have dropped from the trees, and we are settling into winter mode here. I wouldnt really have the opportunity to install them into a realistic setting until May of 2008.

That being said, perhaps you would like to start the rotation with a southern friend who can see and experience these things now.

Thanks again...

The Lighting Geek
11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I was really wanting to get some fireflies kits a couple of years ago, so I did a lot of research into the kits and this is what I found. Most of the fireflies you can buy use a microprocessor and are static, or no motion. IN reality the real ones fly by and glow on and off. They don't really blink in real life, sometimes they will land and glow but for the most part the fly and move. I found a company that makes fireflies with a small computer fan half way down a 3' or so very thin cable and a LED on the end that is on all the time but very directional. you only can see it when it passes by your view. It looks as real it gets. I set a booth at the local Home Show with a blacken 8'x8' by 4' deep display and covered the front with screen. I had people getting emotional over their childhood memories and wanting to know how I keep them in the 'cage'. I sold out of kits and had people hitting my website for them after the show. I had 700+ people come through my booth F/S/Sun. I was amazed. You can contact me if you want to know more about them since I am now helping companies do what I did.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I was really wanting to get some fireflies kits a couple of years ago, so I did a lot of research into the kits and this is what I found. Most of the fireflies you can buy use a microprocessor and are static, or no motion. IN reality the real ones fly by and glow on and off. They don't really blink in real life, sometimes they will land and glow but for the most part the fly and move. I found a company that makes fireflies with a small computer fan half way down a 3' or so very thin cable and a LED on the end that is on all the time but very directional. you only can see it when it passes by your view. It looks as real it gets. I set a booth at the local Home Show with a blacken 8'x8' by 4' deep display and covered the front with screen. I had people getting emotional over their childhood memories and wanting to know how I keep them in the 'cage'. I sold out of kits and had people hitting my website for them after the show. I had 700+ people come through my booth F/S/Sun. I was amazed. You can contact me if you want to know more about them since I am now helping companies do what I did.

I have seen the kits with the little fans... my only concern is their longevity in the outdoors... Assuming that the firefly kits are on only occassionally, how do the motors hold up to rain, humidity, and freezing? I would suspect that they might become a maintenance issue over time. Do you put them up and then take them down and store them seasonally?

Thanks

The Lighting Geek
11-02-2007, 12:48 AM
They are fair weather displays. I live in Sacramento, CA and had a set up for 2 years year round and they still work. They are not intended for foul weather so I recommend taking them down. They go up in about 10-15 min or so. They do require 120v. They have talking about an adapter to connect to 12v systems but it is a ways off.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks Tommy, they would not work out here at all.

Pro-Scapes
11-02-2007, 08:11 PM
They are fair weather displays. I live in Sacramento, CA and had a set up for 2 years year round and they still work. They are not intended for foul weather so I recommend taking them down. They go up in about 10-15 min or so. They do require 120v. They have talking about an adapter to connect to 12v systems but it is a ways off.

I spent many a summers weekends near you growing up tommy. We used to keep our 40 footer at tower park off highway 12 and every year we always made it to old town for the jazz festival. We always did about 15,000 lights on our boat every year for the lighted boat parades in stockton too. Miss the weather and the areas but im not missing the cost of living one bit.