PDA

View Full Version : Free marketing resource

NightLightingFX
10-24-2007, 05:54 PM
For those of you struggling with marketing ideas a good resource is your local community college. My local community college has a pretty good marketing department. I just got done discussing my situation with the dept head. They put together marketing programs for all kind of businesses and their services are free!
However, I would like to get your guys opinion on one thing. What do you think of my logo. I created it myself and I hate to part with it. The marketing dept head would like to change it. That may be hard for me because I put a lot of thought and created my logo myself. I feel like it is part of me. I know I need to keep an open mind so what is your guys honest opinion of my logo should I get rid of it?

NightLightingFX
10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
I am having trouble posting my logo???

NightLightingFX
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I hope this works

Greg_B
10-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I hope this works

Maybe the community college has a computer class too :rolleyes:

Typically posting an image requires that the image be hosted somewhere on the web. You add tags that tell the site its an image www.somewebsite.com/mypicture

You would remove the underscore after the img in the brackets and put the url for the picture where the www.somewebsite.com/mypicture is.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Save your logo as a .jpg and then attach it to your post.

Like this.

Chris J
10-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I like your logo Ned, but I think it looks a little cartoonish (if that's a word). I'm no expert, however, so my opinion is just that "an opinion." If you have a marketing expert telling you to change it, my advice would be to listen to him.

Greg_B
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.nightlightingfx.com/images/1k/images/1k_02.jpg

NightLightingFX
10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't know why I couldn't get my logo up I don't have too much of a problem with pics. Anyway thanks for displaying it. I agree I does look cartoonish. It is probably better to have something more classy. I don't know what I am going to do. Thanks for the input.
~Ned

irrig8r
10-24-2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.nightlightingfx.com/images/1k/images/1k_02.jpg

I went to the website to see your logo. I can see how you made the F and X from light beams. That was clever.

To be honest (you asked) the overall effect looks a little bit retro cartoonish, like Max Fleischer (Betty Boop, Popeye, etc.)

I'm not saying it looks bad, just wondering who your target market is and how they take to it.

pete scalia
10-24-2007, 09:13 PM
It's going to be very difficult and expensive to print with the 4 color photo behind it. Remember your logo goes on everything. Sometimes simple is best.

irrig8r
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know why I couldn't get my logo up I don't have too much of a problem with pics. Anyway thanks for displaying it. I agree I does look cartoonish. It is probably better to have something more classy. I don't know what I am going to do. Thanks for the input.
~Ned

I'm not saying I don't like it, I do. And it looks like you put some time into it.

Some companies have more than one logo.

Have you ever thought about surveying your good, regular customers, and letting them tell you what they think?

Maybe you could post samples on your website and encourage them to email you about it.

Team-Green L&L
10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Actually, the logo looks like 3 colors (blue, black, yellow). I'm sure printing costs have already been established in this case? I do feel your logo has a cartoonish feel and that's okay with a certain market, but in the lighting industry it may come off as a little immature (no offense). I do like the logo though, I'm just not sure about it's place in your industry.

Chris J
10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Ned, once again I like your logo. What you are trying to translate to the general public, however, is "elegance". The photography and other information you have shared with us thus far has revealed to me that you are a very informed and knowledgeable landcape lighting designer. Your logo should represent that same image. Again, If I had a friend experienced in the marketing field, I would listen to his/her advise. I know it is a big splinter in your ass, but you will be better off doing it now than later on. Good luck bud.

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 08:38 AM
i gotta agree with alot of the posts here altho I dont know if I can say much. People either love or hate my logo You can see the one we have on my website below. Also attached are some of the concepts we considered before selecting ours

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Hmmmm.... and exactly when did you open your business Billy?

Just Kidding... I have been INTEGRA going back two businesses before the lighting company....

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
its been about a year and a half james... never knew you were around when we chose a name. :) its all good great minds think alike.

irrig8r
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
i gotta agree with alot of the posts here altho I dont know if I can say much. People either love or hate my logo You can see the one we have on my website below. Also attached are some of the concepts we considered before selecting ours

Thanks for sharing those Billy. Interesting to see how you came up with you have now. I kinda like the gold and white on black in the lower left... but maybe you decided a black backgound was limiting somehow? Anyway, the final version on the website is nice and clean.

pete scalia
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
its been about a year and a half james... never knew you were around when we chose a name. :) its all good great minds think alike.

It raises an interesting question although it really has no bearing in this case. But I wonder how trademarking laws are. If they are National only or worldwide?
Can there be two companies that are trademarked in different countries with the exact same name, exact same logo for that matter. I would guess the intercontinental legal matter could get very costly to settle.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
It raises an interesting question although it really has no bearing in this case. But I wonder how trademarking laws are. If they are National only or worldwide?
Can there be two companies that are trademarked in different countries with the exact same name, exact same logo for that matter. I would guess the intercontinental legal matter could get very costly to settle.

Trademarks are country specific for the most part. I am currently registering a couple of them here in Canada and hope to extend them into the USA in short order. The costs are insane mind you, but once done all is very clear and legal.

irrig8r
10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Trademarks are country specific for the most part. I am currently registering a couple of them here in Canada and hope to extend them into the USA in short order. The costs are insane mind you, but once done all is very clear and legal.

True, but from what I gather they are also costly to enforce.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
True, but from what I gather they are also costly to enforce.

It depends on how stubborn the other party is. Two years ago a guy opened up here calling himself Nightscape Outdoor Lighting. He ran a couple of ads and then Bill had his lawyers drop a cease and desist letter on him. Poof! he is gone.

It would really depend... but if you own the trademark, the other would legally have no defense to it.

pete scalia
10-25-2007, 10:15 PM
It depends on how stubborn the other party is. Two years ago a guy opened up here calling himself Nightscape Outdoor Lighting. He ran a couple of ads and then Bill had his lawyers drop a cease and desist letter on him. Poof! he is gone.

It would really depend... but if you own the trademark, the other would legally have no defense to it.

Isn't there somebody here with a name similar to that? Does Mr. Locklin know?

Pro-Scapes
10-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for sharing those Billy. Interesting to see how you came up with you have now. I kinda like the gold and white on black in the lower left... but maybe you decided a black backgound was limiting somehow? Anyway, the final version on the website is nice and clean.

well... I did look at the one you mention Greg. However we deemed it a little hard to read compared to our current one. We like the current one because it was simple and clean. Easy to use on several different areas... some of you probably noticed in in grayscale on our black sweatshirts this past weekend and I like how that looks as well. We like the artistic swoosh behind it too. We have had many compliments on how clean it is but some people ask what the heck does it have to do with lighting. We thought about changing it up but so far its kinda stuck to us not to mention its on the window of our truck and on about 100 t shirts that we have and clients have.

BTW giving a client a nice t shirt is excellent advertising and keeps you in thier head as well.