PDA

View Full Version : Leaf removal

ADC Lawn Care
10-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I was wanting to know what other guys use as tops for leaf trucks? I have a f-450 with a 12' dump and wanted to know the best way to make a top. Any suggestons are welcome/

Greybeard
10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
You mean a leaf box to raise the capacity of the truck? There are lots of threads on that if you search on this site. Some guys build them out of sheet metal and braces. I built mine out of plywood and 2x4s, with a 4x7' plywood front. There are horizontal and vertical 2x4s with a keyway for the side panels. For the sides I used sheets of plywood with 2x4 edges, 2 sheets to a side on my 14' dump. Where they join together, there is a 2x6 to cover the joint. I use 1/4" nuts and bolts to hold it together, then unbolt it all and store it against the wall in my shop till next fall. The tailgate is a sheet of plywood that swings from a horizontal pipe between the two sides, and the top is a mesh tarp. If you're using a leaf loader, you need lots of ventilation to let the air escape, or you risk blowing out the sides of the box. Good luck.

Clear-Cut
10-24-2007, 08:16 PM
i think he is saying that he has a dump bed already, he just needs something to cover the top of it to keep the leaves from blowing out of the dump.

i would say some kind of breathable mesh tarp or net?

yardmanlee
10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
greybeard do you have pics of that leaf box you could post
especially the tail gate area ?

baddboygeorge
10-26-2007, 09:40 PM
they breathe well an work great for leaf work! Easy to access inside of box if you need to put in branches that ya pick up as well!!

DuallyVette
10-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I like mine. search for an old thread.

wahlturfcare
10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
i made mine out of bent galvanized piping(u shaped) and cover it with mesh. It works great with no wind resistance and it breaths great.

mmacsek
10-27-2007, 10:53 AM
To answer the original question use a mesh tarp and bungee cord to the sides. The tarp needs to overhang the sides,all 4, so the leaves don't blowout. This works great if you're using a leaf loader. I have the same size truck and used this setup with a Lesco 16hp loader. The sides have 1/2" plywood that stays on year round. I know my setup isn't as elaborate as some but it works. The tarp was purchased at Northern Tool. Hope this helps. Matt

rootslawnservice
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I just made my dump trailer into a leaf trailer. I used this stuff called hardware net, its galvanized steel. Strong,won't rust, breaths, then I used aluminum door screen over that. The only thing that get out is dust. It looks clean, no over hanging tarp and bungies.

G.M.Landscaping
10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I just made my dump trailer into a leaf trailer. I used this stuff called hardware net, its galvanized steel. Strong,won't rust, breaths, then I used aluminum door screen over that. The only thing that get out is dust. It looks clean, no over hanging tarp and bungies.

That sounds like a good idea...any pics?

rootslawnservice
10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I have them, need to learn how to download them.

mdvaden
10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
This would be emptied often right - not like every few weeks?

Because mesh lets rain it, which is a lot of extra water weight if the load is compact - even if it's wet to start with.

But if the load won't be sitting for 5 days at a time, you can go with mesh or tarp cover.

mmacsek
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
This would be emptied often right - not like every few weeks?

Because mesh lets rain it, which is a lot of extra water weight if the load is compact - even if it's wet to start with.

But if the load won't be sitting for 5 days at a time, you can go with mesh or tarp cover.

The longest my sets is overnight. There are some days it gets emptied twice. Matt

rootslawnservice
10-29-2007, 10:20 PM
/Users/mikeroot/Desktop/100_1110.JPG/Users/mikeroot/Desktop/100_1115.JPG I will take some more pictures in the morning. Its all done now. Works Great.

gqnine44
11-02-2007, 05:52 PM
How dusty is it with a mesh tarp roof and back panel? I would think the operator, the truck, and everything around would be covered in dust.

mmacsek
11-02-2007, 06:03 PM
How dusty is it with a mesh tarp roof and back panel? I would think the operator, the truck, and everything around would be covered in dust.

If the leaves are dry it is dusty. When you're blowing the leaves in with a loader the air has to go somewhere. If there isn't enough "venting" the leaves will blow back and not fill completely. This has been my experience. The tow behind vacuums the city uses has alot of venting to accomadate the big loaders. The local contractors use the mesh tarps and some have towbehind loaders. Hope this helps. Matt

loom-gen
11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
My box has a 2x4 re-enforced plywood top. The top folds up four times so mulch or dirt can be loaded without having to take it off. I can take the top off myself but its easier with two. The seams between the folds in the top allow the air to leave freely. I use hinge locks with carabeaners to secure the top to the bed.