PDA

View Full Version : Irritating

Scag48
10-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Just thought I'd share this week's misfortunes. I'm not complaining, but life came quick this week.

Car is acting up, think the fuel pump is going out, driving the truck instead. Alternator on truck is on it's last legs, I could be left stranded somewhere if I don't take care of it. 2 tests this week, one in physics, the other in logic. Picked up 2 shifts at work, my land mortgage kicks in a month from now, another $525 a month to add to the bills, I'm stressed about the payment. Now working 7 days a week taking 20 credits at school this quarter. Got a phone call today from my bank's fraud prevention office, seems someone got a hold of my debit card number and info via some sort of spyware that made it's way onto my computer. I made an online purchase last week and some sort of phishing spyware got ahold of the info they needed. Someone tried to rack up $2100 worth of stuff from Walmart.com, good thing I didn't have quite enough in my checking account. Transaction was halted, had to cancel the card. Went out today and got a better antivirus program, a buddy of mine who is super good with computers assures me I should be fine with the new software.

Just a long day, I'm completed frazzled. Time to study for my physics test. Hope everyone else's week is going a little better than mine.

RockSet N' Grade
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
At least you don't live in San Diego area. You'd be camping at some stadium studying by candle light for your tests.......I was told by my computor guru ( that could be almost anyone ), to start using Mozilla Foxfire and Mozilla Thunderbird for email because they are better protected against spyware/theft. I have done that, no thefts to date except the monthly bills I have to pay and that feels like theft everytime I have to write those checks at the end of the month. Scag, almost sounds like the makings for a country-western song, except your dog hasn't left yet........

Construct'O
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a fun week for sure.I think everyone gets frustrated when things start piling up on a person.It doesn't get any better as time goes on seems!!!!!!

Just be glad for the good days,on more of the postive side of things:)

What gets me more is when you go to use your equipment after it was running great when you quit for the day,weekend, or after the long mooson! You go to get it to move or work and the batterys is dead,or something.

Just like the gremlins got to it while you was gone:rolleyes:

Now that"s irriating !!!!! Thats why i think of it this way.Real world,Dream world,and Nightmare world.Your just temporarly caught in the Nightmare world:dizzy: .It well get better hopefully!

You know the old say. If it's got tires,tracks or tits :dancing: !!!!!! It's trouble.You have a good day now:usflag:

Construct'O
10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
At least you don't live in San Diego area. You'd be camping at some stadium studying by candle light for your tests.......I was told by my computor guru ( that could be almost anyone ), to start using Mozilla Foxfire and Mozilla Thunderbird for email because they are better protected against spyware/theft. I have done that, no thefts to date except the monthly bills I have to pay and that feels like theft everytime I have to write those checks at the end of the month. Scag, almost sounds like the makings for a country-western song, except your dog hasn't left yet........

How'd we do that we posted at the same time????:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Magic I suppose....Just don't feel like going to work and burning a few extra minutes, but it is past that time, so..........off to the races.....

AWJ Services
10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I have done that, no thefts to date except the monthly bills I have to pay and that feels like theft everytime I have to write those checks at the end of the month.

I feel your pain.

Went out today and got a better antivirus program, a buddy of mine who is super good with computers assures me I should be fine with the new software.

It is a must have in this day and age .

If you cannot afford one AVG has one of the best Anti Virus softwares on the planet for Free.
Couple that with windows defender and Windows new phishing software and you should be well protected.

Never email any credit card or personal info if possible.
If you do at least encrypt it.

If it's got tires,tracks or tits !!!!!! It's trouble.

Agreed.

Scag48
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I've been using Mozilla Firefox exclusively for 2 years now. I had a trial version of Norton antivirus that came with the computer, when the 6 month subscription ran out I didn't renew it. That was quite some time ago. I also have Adaware and Spybot which are super good programs, just didn't use them regularly. Between the three programs I now have, I feel more secure.

Fieldman12
10-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Dont feel bad when it rains it pours. Seems like when you have plenty of money nothing never breaks. When your tight on money it falls apart. As for Windows Defender it never finds anything. Im a computer tech/network administrator where I work at ABX/DHL. Defender never finds anything for us. We have much better luck with Spybot. AVG works very well.

AWJ Services
10-25-2007, 08:14 PM
As for Windows Defender it never finds anything.

I agree.
Defender just works good at stopping the really bad stuff like self installing programs.Plus it is free.
I use ad aware and spybot as well.
They usually only find the pretty much harmless tracking cookies.

This is a great site for comp advice.

http://www.komando.com/

AVG has a great spyware program for free as well.

I am a computer nut.
I build all mine and I am an avid gamer and used too be really big into the overclocking deal.
I hack my cellphone too unlock it and at one time I enjoyed lots of free tv.
I really missed my calling with computers.:)

Fieldman12
10-25-2007, 08:47 PM
I have been doing it every day for about 12 years now. I take care of the phone network, servers, pc's, printers, satellite and the rest of the network. Being in a company that has airplanes and so on adds to the fun. You learn allot of different programs that most never get to see, radar and so on.

Construct'O
10-25-2007, 10:22 PM
In your control panel option.There is a place to block and allow sites.I have been using that for over a year now and knock on wood it is working great.:dancing:

I have a old computer so thought i would try things how i have them set now.Figured i wasn't out much if it got whammed!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I use to have Norton ,but updated to their new vision and slowed my computer down to a snail.It was always scanning all the time and never seemed to quit.Couldn't download anything.I just have dailup besides,so compounded things.

Deleted it an it was like night and day.Went from snail to slightly over to slow rabbit!!!!! gave up on the idea of the turtle and the rabbit,went with slow rabbit over fast turtle.:)

You will be surprised how much stuff it is blocking.They show up on the list what you are blocking.There is a little more to as far as setting,but can't remember all the details without looking.Their is some sites that you have to allow to get to work right ,but make sure they are trusted ones.

I also use spyware blaster,one you guys didn't mention.

I also just use yahoo for my emails,instead of the local server.That way the junk is downloaded on yahoos site ,plus they have antivirus software of there own.

Works for me,so far anyway????????

YellowDogSVC
10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I have had days, weeks, months, like that while I was working, raising a family, and finishing college. Broke down so much in my truck and skidsteer that I stuck it out in the business just to thumb my nose at the gods who tried to thwart me!

RockSet N' Grade
10-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Scag.........all that stuff will sort out. Don't dismiss Constructo's last line as just humor...there is a bit of truth buried in there.......you've taken care of the tires and tracks (so to speak), now go take care of the last part - guarenteeeed a good stress reliever.

Scag48
10-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Ah, I'm far ahead of the females my age. I really would like to challenge that theory that states women are much mature than men. I really beg to differ with that. I dunno, guess hitting the bars on Friday nights isn't my thing, I actually haven't bought a drink in about 3 weeks whatsoever. I guess I have more important things I feel I should be getting done, I'll be laughing in the end. Just waiting for that day when I can sell the 3.5 acres I just bought and put at least $150K in my pocket and buy myself a machine or two and a truck to get going again. Actually, I'm really pumped up for next April, I'm sending in my application for the operator's union tomorrow, hopefully I'm accepted as an apprentice. It'll be all good times then, buy a newer truck, another piece of land in a couple years, everything will work out. This week, on the other hand, seems to be costing me money or some jack@$$ who can't get a job trying to take money that I've worked hard for. That really doesn't sit well with me and if I EVER catch someone trying to steal anything from me again I guarantee it'll be the biggest mistake of their life. Too bad I'll never figure out who it was, no way to tell. Someone tried to steal a pair of skis that I had a few years back, caught the guy walking away with them. He wasn't so lucky, I prosecuted that clown.

I'm downloading AVG's anti-spyware and anti-virus right now. Currently running Spybot, Adaware SE, Norton Internet Security 2008, and the AVG pair. I should be good now. Hahaha. A couple friends said it was stupid for me to buy Norton, but I was in a panic and I guess it can't hurt to have multiple scanners.

Scag48
10-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Here's a pic my mom took from the property I bought. It's a good 15 minutes from town, but there is quite an appeal to "ranch living". This lot is in a gated subdivision, the covenants are fairly strict so no junk will be accumulating within the development itself. I have not been there myself, yet I signed all the paperwork 2 weeks ago. The big 95 acre orchard removal job was about 5 minutes from this site, I'm pretty familiar with the area. I myself wouldn't build here, too far from town, but some schmuck from Seattle wouldn't mind being a reasonable distance from suburbia. Seattle really is a crappy place to live, I understand why they all flock to my hometown during the summer. This lot is 3.5 acres, but I don't think there is one smaller. Some are 5, there are a few 10's and 20's as well.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/corralcreek1.jpg

mrusk
10-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Scag, the proablems you are dealing with are nothing! One day you will look back and be like "WTF, i let that petty stuff get to me?" Some days i am ready to just walk off the job site and quit but i keep going.

Gorgous peice of property tho.

Scag48
10-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I've seen my share of PITA jobs, but nothing is worse than going to a job everyday that I hate, makes me good money but I hate it. I still really don't have much money in the bank because I'm stretching myself thin with this mortgage payment, just sucks hardcore. Plus college is pounding me right now, just a lot of stuff going on. Selling the car, once it's sold I'll have some cash in the bank in case the truck needs any more TLC. The I300 in my F150 rolled 200K about 2 weeks ago, still going strong minus the alternator. Just 6 more months of this, whether I get accepted into the union or not I will be back running iron next spring somewhere.

RockSet N' Grade
10-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Scag....you make me chuckle and remember when........I was broke, living in a VW van with $50 to my name and winter was coming on in Colorado, with no sleeping bag or job. I got a job as a coal miner.......highest paying job in the valley at the time. Didn't like it one bit, but I made enough to live and finally get an apartment. I just did it and kept doing it and saved every red cent I could. All you can control is your attitude. Keep your eye on the prize and keep pushin'......fatten the bank account a bit, keep your eyes and ears open because there are more jobs out there and one that may float your boat......On a more serious note (at least from where I am sitting): if the babes your age are immature, find an older woman :) :)

fhdesign
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Problems, frustrations, agrevations,etc...never seem to go away. Keep up the venting, it seems to be one of the best ways to help deal with it all.

"if the babes your age are immature, find an older woman"
I agree!
good luck

Fieldman12
10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
That land has a nice vew Scag48. Land is always a good investment especially down the road. What does land sell for out there?

Scag48
10-27-2007, 01:11 AM
That land has a nice vew Scag48. Land is always a good investment especially down the road. What does land sell for out there?

Depends on where it is. I paid $107,000 for this piece. Closer to town, an acre can cost you just as much, if not more, and if you're in town, .5 acres will cost you $200K or so. Property on the lake is expensive, my parents sold 1.5 acres of view property with a small piece included across the road that had 60 feet of waterfront, a dock, boatlift, and enough room to park 2 cars just below the road for $600K 2 years ago. There are some 4,000 square foot houses on the lake folks are asking $2 million or more. These houses usually sit on a .75 acre lot or smaller. My parents have 7 acres, 4 of it still has apple tress producing fruit, 2.5 acres are sitting fallow right now, and the remaining .5 acre includes my parent's house and our shop. This entire pieces is probably worth $2-3 million by my estimates. A guy could subdivide the whole thing, and the views are excellent anywhere on the property, provide 16, .5 acre lots and sell the lots for $400K a piece. This piece, or as my dad likes to call it "the complex" is only 4 miles from town and within walking distance of the lake. I will more than likely try to take over this land from my old man once I get back home to run a business, it's a great spot to be in. Of course, it's not zoned commercial, but the iron never makes it home anyway.

I'm really missing home these days, the ratrace of Seattle just never ends. I'll make my money here, learn what I need to learn, then go back to where I can definately suceed in business given that I know the right people to do business with. There's definately money to be made, I look at the guys doing excavation back home and they'll be out of the game in 10 years with basically nobody to replace them. I plan to fill that void. There aren't really any outlying towns, the largest city away is 35 miles away. I have a very good feeling that in 10-15 years there will be a huge demand for excavation work back home and not a single guy there to do it. Guys can't compete from outlying cities, they're too far away. After I sell that property I bought, I'll get me up a truck and a machine or two to get me started, I'll be on my way. I already know a ton of people, I grew up there, so word of mouth will be easy. We did reasonably well last year with our endeavour in excavation, I plan to knock those numbers right out of the park my first year.

Dad and I have a some aspirations of teaming up and doing some large development work eventually. He has the capital to get the ball rolling, but by the time this plays out could be 10+ years from now and he'll be 65. Probably not the best plan to gamble around with retirement money, we'll see how things go. The motel he currently owns is probably worth almost twice what he paid for it 3 years later, not a bad return. He could easily sell everything he has right now, move into the new house he built last year and call it quits. His dad didn't actually stop working until he was 80 years old, I remember working with grandpa during the summer doing orchard work, technically he was retired at 65 but what would have he done, sit around and do nothing? That's what my mom's parents have been doing since retirement and I've seen the ill effects of that. My dad and myself surely will not lead that route, I'll be punching out a days work as long as I possibly can.

Fieldman12
10-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Scag48, there is allot of immature girls out there these days. Don't let it fool ya though there is good ones out there. It's kinda like digging through a back of rocks trying to find a piece of gold. Keep digging and you will find it. One piece of advice with girls. They can only change there self you cannot do that for them. Another, if you feel things are strange just walk away and never look back. Once you find the correct girl things fit together like a puzzle then.

Fieldman12
10-27-2007, 01:35 AM
It's amazing how where land is located can make a serious difference in prices. I know around here just 6 years ago land was going for $1,600 an acre. Now it's like $5,500.00 to $6,000.00 an acre. My buddies dad bought his first farm 150 acres when he was 21 for like $30,000.00. He said it took all he could make for years before he finally started being able to put some extra money down to eventually pay it off. He is now 90 years old and there is people every day wanting to buy it. I know six years ago a guy offered him well over a million. He just laughed at the man and said what am I going to do with that money at my age. Anyway its worth millions now. The very simplest think in the world can make you more money than any thing if you use it wisely. He also raised a family off this land and paid his bills. He eventually bought 350 more acres. Land just keeps giving and giving. It's really amazing what it can do for ya.

Gravel Rat
10-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Land prices trippled in B.C. because its all baby boomers buying recreational property. Houses sitting on a city sized lot in a gated community are 1 million dollars a condo is 650,000.

The worst part is farm land is being converted into subdivisions which isn't good.

Talking with a truck driver in the forest industry the other day he said the best move he ever did was sell his house and buy a large fiver with slideouts and live in a trailer park. He said you pay pad rental and your hydro.

I'am thinking of doing that myself you can buy a nice fifth wheel brandnew with couple slide outs for 40-50 grand. You have no property taxes to pay and if you don't like your neighbour hook the truck to it and move.

Some people are getting 40-50 year mortages at 2000 a month no thanks I only make 2000 a month.

Say I found 1/4 acre of land for 107,000 my monthly payment would be 816.00 dollars for the next 25 years the intrest alone is 138,000 dollars for the 25 year period. The cheapest house on the market in my area right now is 309,000 it sits on 1/8th of a acre with a 800sq house my payments would be 2300 dollars and in 25 years after the house is paid for I would have invested 707,000 dollars :laugh:

My 700 a month truck payment takes a good chunk of my monthly wage and I only bought a 30,000 dollar truck :cry:

I'am in the same boat I don't really like my job but I'am sticking with it because its steady income. I'am back working on a development project on my days off so its keeping my sanity. Get to play in some dirt for a few hours a day and get my hands dirty and makes me a extra 150 bucks in a week. I'am the only truck driver on the job.

I could get a job back in the excavation industry but its not guaranteed employment especially this winter it is dropped off work wise. No contractor can guarantee a steady job may work couple months and get laid off.

Even my landscape buddy who was busier than ever is now scrambling to find work for his crew. He doesn't want to loose any of the people he has got because he needs them for the summer. Nobody can afford to live on a part time job. If you have a 10-12 dollar job usually you have 2-3 of them and work 12-14 hours a day.

I have a 21 dollar per hour job and I need to work two jobs some days I'am working on the developement for 4 hours and go work at my regular job for another 8 hrs. I'am a little tired at the end of the days I'am working at two jobs but atleast I grossing 217 dollars a day. The developement job is cash money so thats even better. The developer wants me to drive the truck instead of somebody else is because I have gravel truck experience. I can spend 8 hours a day driving truck it doesn't bother me.

I think most people are stressed out to the max. The cost of living is increasing while the wages hasn't. Take my job title I have now 10-15 years ago it was a job to have it was a high wage. Today its not its on the lower scale of pay and the working conditions have worsened.

The younger generation holy crap are they lazy the kids getting out of highschool today or ones that are in grade 11 and 12 don't want to work. The project owner I'am working for hired some grade 10 and 11 students to do some labouring jobs they lasted half a day and quit :confused:

These guys wore baggy azz pants they spent 90% of the time pulling their pants back up. It seems to be a trend with the younger generation wear jeans 3 sizes to big :rolleyes:

I would tell them what was supposed to be done and I come back and nothing is really done :angry:

Fieldman12
10-27-2007, 08:15 PM
It is not good out there in allot of areas. Around here it's not really a good time to start a business. I hear everyone around here young,old, middle aged, rich, poor, and average income complaining about how much food, fuel and everything else has gone up. I pay extreme close attention to the economy and every day I see reports where the american people are not putting any money away but are spending there (old money) they made years ago. Eventually if you never keep putting anything back you will run out. I know Im in the process of doing several things to make more money. Also keeping my eyes and ears open. Not much else any of us can do. I know all of us talk about how bad things are but it does not change anything. The question is what can we do in the shor term to better our selves.

Construct'O
10-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Short term mean very little.It's the long haul and the end where it has to add up, because your health and work ability is shoot.If you haven't made it by then it's to late.

How do i know.I'm getting closer everyday.Good luck!:usflag:

Fieldman12
10-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I agree. I have some things going for the long term that will work out well for me but I have some stuff too that is to help me generate more cash flow now.

Fieldman12
10-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I seem to have more long term stuff than short term. Most people are the opposite. I want to be able to retire some day. I will still work but it will be more around the farms and stuff like that.

Gravel Rat
10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Everybody tells me start saving now because there really won't be a old age pension when I retire 30 years from now.

The days are also gone when you could get a job any day like it was in our parents day. You didn't need a big education to get a start in the construction industry. You went and got a job and learned on the job. Todays world you need all kinds of trade tickets etc and experience or you won't even get hired.

What really chaps my backside is companies that want guys with tickets and will hire guys only with tickets that has less experience than a person without a ticket but has more experience. The trade ticket is just to cover the employers behind from getting sued etc. The guy with the trade ticket screws up it comes back on the employeer. The employer says the guy has a trade ticket.

Scag48
10-28-2007, 01:30 AM
GR, I'd get the hell out of BC. You only make $2K a month? I was making more than that working in the restaurant this summer, hitting $1600-1700 a month right now and this is unskilled labor. You could start a new trend of illegal immigrants coming from northern borders :laugh:

Gravel Rat
10-28-2007, 02:40 AM
That is my take home pay after benefit deductions and of course income tax. If I didn't get deductions taken off you can add a extra 1500 to that. If you want dental benefits and medical it comes off your wages.

The jobs in Alberta are becoming a scam I was talking with diesel mechanic the other day said some of his equipment operator buddies moved to Alberta for the bigger money. They get there and the wage isn't as high as advertised. They got you because your moved there so your stuck.

Like people say is not always greener on the otherside of the fence so I will stick with what I got for now. Many guys in the forest industry are loosing their jobs and these guys are used to making upto 33 dollars per hour.

Scag48
10-28-2007, 03:01 AM
I guess I have the attitude that if I want something better I need to get it. There's always going back to school, whatever, there really isn't any excuse to not make it where you want to go. How bad do you want it?

I had an absolutely terrible night at work tonight, I think if I get my car sold and some cash in my pocket I'm going to bail from that hell-hole. I've been there two years, work the hardest out of those who are bussing/expediting and I still get everything tossed at me from management. Apparently, I'm supposed to manage the "greener" guys, I don't see where I'm paid to manage anyone and it sure as hell isn't in my job description. The sad reality for us is that as a busser, every busser gets paid the same in tips whether you're working hard or not. Why should I work twice as hard to cover for the guy who's falling behind? Management doesn't understand this and expects me to pick up the slack and if I can't keep up by working for 2 guys it's somehow my fault. I guess once you've been in the rodeo long enough people expect you to pull miracles out of orifices given the worst of situations, I'm really sick of being that guy and not getting anything in return. Everything seems to be my fault since I'm a seniority figure on the crew and one guy I work directly with had the guts to come up to me tonight as I was doing my side work before I could head out and told me I was worthless and that I wasn't doing my job. I lost it. I wanted to straight knock him out right there. Technically, if they fired me tomorrow they'd just be doing me a favor. I really enjoy listening to people that have worked there for 5+ years making it sound like it's the most gracious opportunity ever. These are the same people that will still be renting a place to live and driving crappy cars the rest of their life. Not my style. Sorry guys, had to vent, this just hasn't been my week.

Gravel Rat
10-28-2007, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't be putting up with too much working as a waiter in a restaurant. Most restaurants in Vancouver can't find people to work for 8 to 12 dollars per hour when they have to commute 1.5 hours to work. Tell the boss to stick it up you know where and walk out on a busy night.

Eat a bunch of bean burritos and start serving the customers that should increase the reputation of
the restuarant :laugh:

Scag48
10-28-2007, 04:36 AM
I really don't need the reference either, I have enough dirt industry related references that actually get me where I need to go. It's just not fun anymore. I'm constantly told by one of my managers that I have a bad attitude, the truth is that I don't have a bad attitude, I just lose my temper when things aren't done right. I guess it's a flaw, I'm a perfectionist and when the new guys can't run with the pace of everyone else I just tend to lose it, my efforts are not seen as an individual in a 4 man bussing crew. Lately I've been taking the "I really don't care" attitude and that has me catching flak as well. If I really don't care about what's going on, I can't get mad. I just move at the pace I need to move to get my assigned duties done but if I'm asked by someone to do another guy's job I usually tell them I'll get to it when I can. In the restaurant business, this is a no-no, the guest comes first and when you're asked to do something, they're not saying in a few minutes. It usually means stop whatever you're doing now, let your duties fall behind while you pick up slack for another guy. By the time you get done getting him on track, you're behind. The best thing that could happen is for our management to hold certain duties responsible to the guys they are assigned. If the silverware isn't getting washed, don't come up to me and harass me about it if I'm the guy setting tables. It would be like the foreman yelling at a dump truck driver delivering material to a site in regards to why compaction wasn't met. How the hell would the truck driver know, why would he really care? The end result is to serve the customer, finish the job, but the truck driver really has zero idea why a compaction test failed and really couldn't care less. And is he going to stop driving truck to help the crew meet compaction? Absolutely not, then what would happen?! I understand why they say teamwork is vital, I'm a team player and help out when I can, but when we're rockin' and rollin' if I stop what I'm doing for 3 minutes I'm behind, then somebody is jumping my ship about stuff I didn't get done because I was somewhere else solving a disaster. If the truck driver had 3 hours to kill because the loader in the pit was broken down, more than likely he'd pitch in and help the crew meet compaction. That's about the best analogy I can come up with, to date. If this thread does anything it could explain the shortfalls of the restaurant industry. Next time you go out to eat, every single person working in that place more than likely doesn't want to be there. Keep that in mind if you feel like scrutinizing every minor detail concerning your food. Hahaha. In all honesty, we really don't mind doing special orders, it's just the rude people that is ridiculous. I could write a book and I've only been in the industry for a couple years but that's long enough for me. If there's one thing I've learned it's how to talk to complete strangers, I've gained more respect for people who work in restaurants, and I've learned from my management team how NOT to run a business. One of the owners of the place is a real good friend of mine, he only makes it to the restaurant about twice a month for meetings, probably hasn't seen how the place is run on a daily basis in more than 4 years. Once I'm gone I will more than likely clue him as to the shortfalls I've witnessed.

I almost walked out a few nights back. They'd really be in a world of hurt if I quit, two weeks notice or not. We're short on experienced labor as it is, yet they can't figure out how to keep employees happy. The funny thing is that they know this yet continue to beat me down. I'm really close, as I said if I get my car sold I'll have some cash to make enough rent and mortgage payments for the next 6 months. All I'd need to do is pay for gas, cell phone, and food, a mere $500 a month. I could make more than enough working for minimum wage 20 hours a week.

fhdesign
10-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Scag
Just my opinion but it sounds like you need to find a new "team" to work with, you're probably not going to get things to change at your present job. If possible change jobs or positions, if you can't...try to be a good employee. I'm in a similar situation now and at work I say to myself "just think about the money" when things start to bother me.

Scag48
10-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, it's hard. I still show up every day, on time with a good attitude, it just seems that most days before it's over I end up losing my cool. I only have to stick it out there until mid-march when I'm done with school. It's just no fun when you go to work everyday and hate what you're doing.

Fieldman12
10-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Scag48, I had some jobs when I was youger that I hated. I know it was very pleasing to come in one day and say I have found something better that I like with allot more pay. As far as the pay goes I can tell you around here in this part of Ohio if you make 2,000 dollars a month you are above average income for a single person. A family around here with both of them working is very luck if they are making $50,000.00. Just had a guy the other day at work that is a security guard was asking what a job like mine pays Computer tech/network administrator. He just got out of college. He will be very very lucky out of college around here to find $30,000.00 I told him. Allot of jobs around here are temporary anymore. Companies do not want to hand out any benefits to employees. What Im getting at every area the pay is different. For instance we will compare the land you bought to 3.5 acres here. You could buy 3.5 acres here all day long for $30,000.00. Even in an expensive area it would not be over double that such as in Beavercreek. Our $2000 dollars a month would go allot farther than where you live is what Im getting at. Around here though a person single now based on what housing has went up, food, vehicles, land and so on needs to make around $45,000 to $50,000.00 to live comfortable and to be able to save some.

SiteSolutions
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Scag: I worked in a small restaurant for a while before I got married. I loved it. I had a great relationship with the owner / chef, and I avoided politics. My secret? I was the dishwasher. One of my favorite jobs ever, but it only paid about $7 an hour. I had total control of my domain in the scullery. It was my world and I organized and ran it my way. I produced top quality cleanliness in a timely fashion. My appearance was not scrutinized, as I was going to get wet all night anyway. Probably the best part was my performance was only tied to how good a job I was doing, and nobody else. I got a free meal every night, and if we got real busy the owner would bring me a beer or two as well. I don't know if it's the right job for you, but you could theoretically get to enjoy your perfectionism and not have to put up with slackers, at least not as much. Either way, hang in there. Food service is hell.

Scag48
10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I can understand dishwashing being kinda cool, you're not working with anyone else really. That's the problem with teamwork, when you rely on someone to get something done and they don't, it goes to hell, I'm sure you know that as well as I do. I expedite and I do fine there, I am in charge of getting the food out and that is my job only. I coordinate with the kitchen and the service staff to get the food out, I don't rely on anyone but myself to get things done and I've done well in this position.

cddva
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Scag - I would have to say, at this point in my "professional career", that it generally doesn't get any better as long as you work for a "company". You'll put up with management that has no business being in those position's, slacker's and good talker's who your forced to take responsibility for their poor work, endless double talk from the management who constantly set you up for failure while demanding perfection. If you speak up against them and point out shortcomings you're labeled a disgruntled employee. Every day becomes a struggle in sanity. I think this is the norm in corporate america today. The days of employee loyalty to a company are gone since their is no loyalty to the employees any more. The strength of the Unions, is I believe, nothing what it was because now they will send your job oversee's if the union demands are high. The good news is, there will always be a demand for competent qualified personnel in any profession, you just need to position yourself to be that person and then get all you can for your service and expect the BS along with it (or go to work for yourself). Also, maintain your integrity and cool despite the jerks. The alternative can dis-credit your character in an instant. The jerks will come and go and you'll feel better knowing they didn't get the best of you.

Now how about some equipment discussion?! I'm having the same electrical gremlins with the RC50 again I had about 10 month's ago........not making me happy.

SiteSolutions
10-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I'll say! No matter where you go, even if you are working with a few good-uns, working for the man sucks. No getting around it. Some unions are good and protect the skilled positions from being taken advantage of. Some are not so good and just get equal pay for total slackers who shouldn't even be employed at any price.

So let's talk equipment. I am going to revive my broken loader thread...

Fieldman12
10-29-2007, 05:33 PM
There is good points and bad point with working for someone else. One of the biggest advantages is if you work for a good size company you have health insurance, they provide a certain amount of money to your 401-k, they provide some paid days off, and if your just a 40 hour a week work person than some places offer that also. Other than that they have allot of disadvantages. The biggest I can think of is they control your pay, raises, and you never know if they may get bought out or you get laid off. A person has to start somewhere in life and eventually try to work his way into something else that he or she is good at that hopefully will make a good business.

mrusk
10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
I'll say! No matter where you go, even if you are working with a few good-uns, working for the man sucks. No getting around it. Some unions are good and protect the skilled positions from being taken advantage of. Some are not so good and just get equal pay for total slackers who shouldn't even be employed at any price.

So let's talk equipment. I am going to revive my broken loader thread...

Yours so right. I have been in business 2 and a half years. This is the end of my second full time season. I have yet to really make any money but i am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnell. The worst day or working for yourself is still better then the best day working for the man. I just wish you met more chicks in this business!!