PDA

View Full Version : Astronomical clock-digital power switch

Kenyon
10-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Are there any other landscape lighting manufacturers that offer a digital power switch device other than nightscaping?

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
mdl avalible thru cast branding...kichler.... coppermoon ect

Intermatic avalible thru florida outdoor lighting or lowes.

sprinkler guy
10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
mdl avalible thru cast branding...kichler.... coppermoon ect

Intermatic avalible thru florida outdoor lighting or lowes.

Billy,

Is that a plug-in model that would work in some of these open architecture transformers, or is a like a dimmer swtch that needs to be hardwired?

Lightscapes
10-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Digital timers you can get through almost every manufacturer. Astronomic timers, on the other hand, are not as common.

Nightscaping has the Power Switch (the timer is made by Aube)that only fits in the Nightscaping transformers, and Intermatic has a plug-in version, but it may or may not fit in any given transformer. I know that in the CAST versions of the MDL (the Journeyman and the Masters series for sure, not positive about the PowerPro series), you must open the panel and flip the internal plug 180 degrees for the unit to fit. This makes the display upside down, but I find that I program the timer out of the transformer anyway, so this in no big deal to me.

Go Halogen
10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I would really like to start using these. Who has used them a lot? Anything to be aware of? Are they very costly? and finally, does anyone have images to post of a solid link?

Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Go Halogen
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Sorry....I meant astronomic not astrologic......I don't even believe in Horoscopes.

irrig8r
10-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Are there any other landscape lighting manufacturers that offer a digital power switch device other than nightscaping?

If for some reason you don't like Nightscaping transformers (Powercenters) or already have an existing transformer of some other brand that you'd like to convert, you can order the stand-alone version of the PS.

It's called an ETC-400. List price was $138.00 last I checked, but you can plug in two transformers, and it is contained in a SS box about 6" x 6".

There's no breaker or fusestat with it. But I'm assuming you're plugging into a GFCI and your transformer has some built in breaker. I've used these with existing Intermatic, Vista and CLL Cal Series transformers as well as the old NS green boxes. Never had a problem.

BTW, they do not self-adjust for DST.

pete scalia
10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
BTW, they do not self-adjust for DST.

That's a bummer

Kenyon
10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I found a Digital lamp & appliance self adjusting timer (DT27CL) for $18.00 at Lowes it appears it will plug into a FX transformer, I'll try it tomorrow. One draw back it only has one automatic off time and I could not make it earlier than 5:37 AM.

The nightscape one is more versitile it have two time programs but only works with N/S trannys.

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Billy,

Is that a plug-in model that would work in some of these open architecture transformers, or is a like a dimmer swtch that needs to be hardwired?

yes plug in just like the mdl timers if your familiar with them. Only hitch is on some mdl transformers (kichler) you need to remove the socket for the timer inside the trans and simply flip it over... takes about 5 min to do.

the number we been using is the DT27C. Not only will it save you money over the mdl timers but it will eliminate the need for a photocell. I think they are also rated for 15amps

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I found a Digital lamp & appliance self adjusting timer (DT27CL) for $18.00 at Lowes it appears it will plug into a FX transformer, I'll try it tomorrow. One draw back it only has one automatic off time and I could not make it earlier than 5:37 AM.

The nightscape one is more versitile it have two time programs but only works with N/S trannys.

You can set the off time for anytime you want... its tricky to program these at first... You want to select all days for astro days... sunset on... then skip over the astro sunrise off... skip event 3... and set event 4 for your desired off time and days... i have a few running to turn off at 1130 during the week and 2am on weekends. All turn on at sunset year round which cordinates to about the same time as a well placed photo cell... email me thru my website below if you need me to get one and walk you thru the set up. I carry an extra in my truck. Once you learn how to program properly the intermatic is much more versitile than the nightscaping one.

Landscape Illuminating
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Billy, have you had any experience with these in the cold? I'm curious to see if these will work during the winter months. I have one installed, but it's inside of an unfinished garage so it won't be an exact scenario.

-LI

irrig8r
10-25-2007, 10:15 PM

See above: ETC-400. Made by Aube. Sold by Nightscaping. Works with any transformer.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Billy, have you had any experience with these in the cold? I'm curious to see if these will work during the winter months. I have one installed, but it's inside of an unfinished garage so it won't be an exact scenario.

-LI

Talk to me about cold!

Both the Aube and the Intermatic Astro Digital Timers make use of Ni-Mh batteries for back up and are rated to well below freezing. I have been using the Aube timers for a couple of winters now (gets down to -35 here) and have had no troubles.

In the past this was not the case. Most digital timers use Ni-Cad batteries for backup and they are only rated to just above freezing. When the cold comes the batteries freeze and then are no longer able to accept a full charge. OR the switch inside the timer is not rated to freeze and will cease operating. Mostly it is the batteries that pose the problem.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 10:30 PM

-LI

sure our freezing cold 40 degrees it sometimes hits down here lol. hit 40 the other night... no calls yet so I assume all is well.. I recommend you buy a few and put em in at locations that people will not freak at you about like if you have installed a freinds home or your own home and try them. I have not paid much attention to the temp ratings on them as its not generally an issue here. I would be more worried about the heat and humidity in summer than the cold of winter here.

Landscape Illuminating
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Talk to me about cold!

Both the Aube and the Intermatic Astro Digital Timers make use of Ni-Mh batteries for back up and are rated to well below freezing. I have been using the Aube timers for a couple of winters now (gets down to -35 here) and have had no troubles.

James, thanks for the info. I've seen you reference the Aube timer before, but it was the in wall switchbox type of timer. Do they also have a plug-in module for use inside of the transformer? If so, do you have a model number?

Thanks,
LI

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 10:49 PM
James, thanks for the info. I've seen you reference the Aube timer before, but it was the in wall switchbox type of timer. Do they also have a plug-in module for use inside of the transformer? If so, do you have a model number?

Thanks,
LI

I have not seen an Aube plug in model... but it might exist. Check out their website... if you can find them, they are in Quebec, a division of Honeywell.

I have used both the Nightscaping modular unit for powercenters as well as the in wall units direct from Aube. Had a couple of failures on warranty but nothing I can complain about. Probablly have about 100 of them out there now.

Have a great day.