PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic system

troc
10-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Went to do a winterization today and came across my first hydraulic system.
It was converted to a standard Pro C controller. Problem is, I'm not sure how to winterize it since I can't get valves to open with air and valves in field are obviously buried. What am I missing? Valves work fine with water.

londonrain
10-25-2007, 05:52 PM
If it is a pro-c controller then I would say it is no longer a hydraulic system...

zman9119
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
If it is a pro-c controller then I would say it is no longer a hydraulic system...

... and if you shut the water off, there is no way to open the valves since they are water actuated.

Are you sure this isn't a manual \ auto drain system?

Mike Leary
10-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Water to controller for hydraulics, must be some wet clock he's got!:laugh:

jerryrwm
10-25-2007, 06:49 PM
This is one for the Wet Boots man.

And they do make a hydraulic to electric conversion module. Allows electric controllers to operate hydraulic valves.

Mike Leary
10-25-2007, 06:54 PM

And they do make a hydraulic to electric conversion module. Allows electric controllers to operate hydraulic valves.

Having zip hydraulics in service anymore..this is a Boots question, if we can
wake him up from his nap.:sleeping::drinkup:

londonrain
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I worked on one hydraulic system and my head was spinning afterwards....water dripping out of the controller and valves not firing.....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-25-2007, 07:07 PM
::head explodes::

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Jerry beat me to it. What is he seeing that makes him think it is hydraulic is my question.

troc
10-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Here's what I see exactly(taken from another post)except I have a Hunter controller. I guess I'm not positive it's a Pro-C since I'm looking at a picture taken by my service guy and it's not real clear. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm going out there myself tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

zman9119
10-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok, so its a hydraulic system, converted to fire the valves with an electrical clock...

Do you know if they have had the system blown out before?

Is there a separate feed \ separate shut off for the irrigation main versus the control lines?

Any bleeder lines (soft copper lines sticking up near where the mainline runs???)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Here's what I see exactly(taken from another post)except I have a Hunter controller. I guess I'm not positive it's a Pro-C since I'm looking at a picture taken by my service guy and it's not real clear. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm going out there myself tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

He should have put those in a box below grade. Kinda silly mounting them on the wall.

troc
10-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Ok, so its a hydraulic system, converted to fire the valves with an electrical clock...

Do you know if they have had the system blown out before?

Is there a separate feed \ separate shut off for the irrigation main versus the control lines?

Any bleeder lines (soft copper lines sticking up near where the mainline runs???)

This is a new client who moved into the house this year. I've just learned they had landscaping done in the back and revamped back irrigation. My thinking is the irrigation contractor(not me) did the hydraulic conversion that I'm seeing in for the front irrigation that wasn't touched.

There are no bleeder lines and can't find seperate feeds either. Looks as if the plumbing was all re-done also. I have a feeling the contractor didn't leave what he needed in order to winterize.

Maybe I just need to sweat in a drain and drain that section manually?

Are all hydraulic systems manual drain? This is the first one I've come across.