PDA

View Full Version : the Dominator

Bill S
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Anyone use these on a regular basis. I am looking to install one for a client that wants to have the easy on/off remote.

Thoughts....anyone?

Thanks

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2007, 07:26 PM
If you mean the Nightscaping Dominator Control Module....

I am not a fan.

I installed one of them to take advantage of the keyfob remote feature that allows you to turn on/off individual branch circuits. The only problem here was the range of the remote control. I would rate it at 30 to 50' maximum.

Others have commented on the over sensitivity of the photo cell for the Dominator.

As a timer function, it only offers preset time off... which is a big limitation in my mind.

It certainly has its place, and others have used them sucessfully, but the short range of the RF remote simply doesn't work here on our sites.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2007, 07:42 PM
the x10 key fobs are not much better.. very poor range in my opinion. I tossed em in as a freebie to seal a deal and they cant even stand out in the back yard and get the lights to click on without going up close to the house. Range definatly needs inprovement on them.

JoeyD
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I set up one Dominator and it was a Pain int he you know what! Thats all I can say.

NightScenes
10-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I have used the remote receivers from ACE hardware and put them in the transformers and they work like a charm. The only problem is that you have a remote for each zone so I only use them on single transformer projects where the client just wants to turn the lighting on or off.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I have used the remote receivers from ACE hardware and put them in the transformers and they work like a charm. The only problem is that you have a remote for each zone so I only use them on single transformer projects where the client just wants to turn the lighting on or off.

If you are really looking for great RF Remote controls look to Linear Products.

I have wired up a few of these systems for clients who are looking for long range remote control of their lighting systems, either complete on/off or zonal control. The work great and are effective to 500 yards and beyond.

I wire them up so that their on board relay switches a 12V output to the Powercenter relay module, thereby controlling the transformer.

Have a great day.