PDA

View Full Version : PVC:I need to learn how your down south

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-25-2007, 11:55 PM
systems get down!

OK as you all know I am going down to NC to learn me some irritation pvc style. I was wondering what hints/tips/years of pvcing you can offer me..

What seems to be the hardest trouble shoot for you all?
What is the hardest part of installing?

Please any type of information is needed, as for once again i will be a pup in the water trade..

thanks in advance.
CSR

londonrain
10-26-2007, 12:01 AM
The digging is the hardest part....
PVC---primer, glue, 1/4 turn and hold then wipe off excess glue with rag...this is the exact technique I use on new install, that come with the best warranty in the business, a 10 year piping warranty on glues PVC joints...
also if trenching you will not want to use some dinky trencher.......

bobw
10-26-2007, 12:49 AM
just remember that pvc primer is great at disinfecting cuts... got a cut... a little primer will take your mind right off of it...

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-26-2007, 01:09 AM
You'll pick it up so fast that you'll wonder what the big deal is. LR is right. Digging is still the hardest part. Backfilling second.

EagleLandscape
10-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Get someone to go ahead of you and lay out pipe/fittings. If the job is already dug out, you can FLY in pipe that way. It's mindless in a sense.

Wet-n-Muddy
10-26-2007, 02:08 AM
It is extemely easy to hack-glue pvc.
It takes a bit more time to make a quality joint.
Check out IPSCorp.com. Look at their training guide and video.

Poly pullers are so used to gouging signatures into their lines when pulling through rocky soil...it may take some time to get accustom to caring for your pipe. You don't want rocks mixing with the pipe. Some people are careful about this. Others don't care. Guess it depends on you will service.

melior quam pluvia
10-26-2007, 05:11 AM
I like to have a guy make up funny pipe assemblies. Riser T with the funny L and a enough funny pipe to stub up with for flushing. Makes the install go much faster than doing it in the lateral trenches.

Don't let the rain float your pipe...I'm pretty sure that's anywhere though. Nothing worse than trenching, laying pipe to have the rain float it and have to do it all over again. Some area's down here require fully open trenches for inspection. I'm to the point now that the inspectors know my work and allow for just joints to be exposed.

melior quam pluvia
10-26-2007, 05:13 AM
It is extemely easy to hack-glue pvc.
It takes a bit more time to make a quality joint.
Check out IPSCorp.com. Look at their training guide and video.

Poly pullers are so used to gouging signatures into their lines when pulling through rocky soil...it may take some time to get accustom to caring for your pipe. You don't want rocks mixing with the pipe. Some people are careful about this. Others don't care. Guess it depends on you will service.

some areas down here won't even let you backfill with the dirt removed. You are required to bring in clean fill....just for this reason. A rock will tear up some pipe down the road.

BrandonV
10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
tamp tamp tamp.

hoskm01
10-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I suppose it depends on soil type, but we fill to 75% of the trench, tamp, soak, and I mean soak it good, let it sit if you can, fill and grade, tamp by foot, rake once more. Then youre not coming back out in a year because the lawn is rutted by the former trenches.

Make pretty manifolds.

Dirty Water
10-26-2007, 11:19 AM
If your going to work for a trench only company, be prepared to greatly miss plowing.

BrandonV
10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
i told him to bring his favorite shovel... hopefully he has it named.

Mike Leary
10-27-2007, 04:20 PM

Brittany...

hoskm01
10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Brittany...

Even ROTAR has more class than that.

Mike Leary
10-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Even ROTAR has more class than that.

Hey, just looking for a winter thread.:drinkup:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-27-2007, 06:49 PM

HA!..I named my shovel Sheshrubbler....

JK

I never named my shovel..but i should.....I asked my boss yesterday

That shovel=the only the one who understands me...

no joke..If anyone ever picks her up I never let her out of my sight..Sadly i think she is going to crack in a few years.

Something can be said for a shovel you use from brand new to perfect turf slicer, ditch digga.

Mike Leary
10-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Something can be said for a shovel you use from brand new to perfect turf slicer, ditch digga.

http://www.kenyontools.com

Bigred350
10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
When trenching make sure you do you joints at a good 45 or 90 degree angle. It makes putting the fitting and pipe together alot easier.

Mjtrole
10-27-2007, 09:02 PM
This one is so obvious its ridiculous, duct tape the glue and primer cans together.

Mike Leary
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
This one is so obvious its ridiculous, duct tape the glue and primer cans together.

::Backs out of thread thinking. "maybe some guys have'nt thought of it"
Thats what's the forum is all about..we should not snurff giggle about what we percieve to be "duh". Unless they have a attitude, then release the jackals.::

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Brilliant.

hoskm01
10-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Brilliant.
So you are defending yourself, or are you playing the "I havbe this friend who hasnt thought of it " routine?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
So you are defending yourself, or are you playing the "I havbe this friend who hasnt thought of it " routine?

nope never thought of it..But where we store our primer/glue its not an option to do the ductape shindig.

But i think its a great idea....

no really,i do.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-27-2007, 11:31 PM

Look at this thread closely. We prefer the holders to duct tape.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=204753

bobw
10-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Another vote for the holders here. I don't seem to use primer and cement at equal rates...the holder allows me to swap out individual cans as needed...and is easier to carry

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 09:11 AM
don't sniff the glue.. too much. we had a guy working on our landscape crew and he'd always wander over to where the h20 stuff was going one, he'd pick up the glue brush and give it a good drag. needless to say not the brightest guy to start with, but i'm sure the glue didn't help

londonrain
10-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Sad but true..... I cant even smell the glue or primer anymore.....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Sad but true..... I cant even smell the glue or primer anymore.....

dude thats groos.....

I pray for your nasal passages.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 04:53 PM
London prolly had a career in the music biz previously, so glue & primer
was not a big deal.

londonrain
10-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Not a drinker or a smoker.... like I said I am in better shape than most 20 year olds...lol:weightlifter:

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Not a drinker or a smoker.... like I said I am in better shape than most 20 year olds...lol:weightlifter:

::note to self, don't party with Steve::

londonrain
10-28-2007, 06:40 PM
::note to self, don't party with Steve::
All my friend love hanging with me because they always have a designated driver...::true story::

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
All my friend love hanging with me because they always have a designated driver...::true story::

you would be my best friend.

hoskm01
10-29-2007, 12:34 AM
you would be my best friend.
Youd have to start carrying bottles of water rathr than just six packs!