PDA

View Full Version : 1 acre of leaf removal

capetan
10-26-2007, 01:20 AM
i did an estimate for a random customer, for a leaf removal job, the yard was covered in leaves but you could still see the grass ( so not super deep), the property was about an acre with several mulch beds ...... i estimated about 3 to 5 hours of work plus dump runs, with 3 workers, i gave an estimate of $500, is that reasonable ?

nobagger
10-26-2007, 07:11 AM
i did an estimate for a random customer, for a leaf removal job, the yard was covered in leaves but you could still see the grass ( so not super deep), the property was about an acre with several mulch beds ...... i estimated about 3 to 5 hours of work plus dump runs, with 3 workers, i gave an estimate of $500, is that reasonable ?

Sounds too cheap to me. An average price per hour for leaves is 45.00/hr per guy. I dont give solid estimates for leaves, I tell them a ballpark figure and if they ask I tell them what we are per hour per guy but I also let them know we have the equipment to move it along quickly. BTW YES RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:waving:

carcrz
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
so you are figuring about 15 man hours when it's all said & done. You are way too cheap IMO. Better hope they don't go for it, or they tip well.

loom-gen
10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I bid one last year for 500 and it was an acre. After payout and dump, I made 10 bucks. I was pis.. not pleased. However I did however, talk them into letting me be their lawn care provider for this year. Total service 2500.00

baddboygeorge
10-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Man have you ever did an acre property full of leaves??? Let me know if ya make any money!! Hahahahahahahaha see ya George ,,, you'll learn by next year!!

capetan
10-26-2007, 09:43 PM
sorry mis calculation its probably closer to 2/3's -3/4ths acre, not an acre ......
customer sent an email back to me "thats a lot more than i was planning on spending for leaf removal" ..... kinda glad i didnt get the job, thanks.....
it sounds like i should be estimating around $250 per 1/4 of acre (does this seem right)

verant
10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
sorry mis calculation its probably closer to 2/3's -3/4ths acre, not an acre ......
customer sent an email back to me "thats a lot more than i was planning on spending for leaf removal" ..... kinda glad i didnt get the job, thanks.....
it sounds like i should be estimating around $250 per 1/4 of acre (does this seem right)

it all depends on how thick the leaves are. you should base it on an hourly rate per man hour.

baddboygeorge
10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
dont worry about quarter acres or acres ! Just worry about man hours !Make sure you charge for every man on the job, per hour . that way you dont lose your ass!After a few years of leaf work an ya get the feel of things then ya might venture on pricing by the job!I have been in this business for 24 years an did huge amounts of leaf work, you can never determine how many leaves are on the ground or how long it will take especially if your working in landscaping beds, on hills, fenced in lots, wet or dry , etc. to many variables .So have fun an use every experience as a learning experience! thanks George

p0wd3rp1l0t
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
i found out that most people i give estimates to are kinda shaky on spending that much money for a cleanup. but when the jobs done 85% say put me on the schedule for next year. you tell them the price that you want to do it for

capetan
10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
so for you guys that bill by the hour how do you do estimates ? or do you just tell the customer i charge __________ an hour

baddboygeorge
11-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I charge x amount per hour per man period! Leaf work is an easy sell , if ya know how to sell it! Show the customer how valuable your service is an why it cost x amount an hour! When i tell a potential customer what i charge per hour I always get a WOW! Then i put things into reality , I ask the customer how long does it take you to do your leaves, most replys are it takes us 3 days an over 100 bags. Thats when ya tell them listen let me show ya what I can do in an hour! Most of them jobs take me about 2.5 hours total for the whole leaf season to take care of there leaves. Its well worth the money an time to let me do those leaves! Leaf work is a very valuable season for guys with the right equipment , good social skils , as well as a hard worker! I have many years of leaf work behind me an lots of experience with different equipment for leaves ! have fun an get leafin' George

capetan
11-02-2007, 10:58 PM
its funny this customer called me back and said he attempt to do the leaves himself, and said it was to much work..... suddenly $500 seems very reasonable...... unfortunately there are more leaves that have fallen the estimate is no longer $500 ......... its amazing how the problem just fixes itself :)

Leaf Jockey
11-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I never tell a customer its x amount per hour. That amount is just a number I use for giving the estimate. I know what I need to charge for a five man crew to do an hour of work and haul one truckload of leaves. I then base the estimate off of that and I do it in half hour increments and always lean on the high side. Years of experience and a large customer base to compare properties to allows for pretty close estimates.

Scott

baddboygeorge
11-03-2007, 09:50 PM
What ever works for ya , works for ya! I know one thing a five man crew with the right equipment should be making minimum $300 an hour !I have a good friend of mine that owned a huge company years ago an he ran 5 man crews an he averaged $380 an hour ! Have fun George

Leaf Jockey
11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Ya, but if you tell a potential customer you charge $380 an hour for leaf cleanup you'll have to call 911 after she tips over. But you're right, different methods work fine for some and not at all for others.

Scott

baddboygeorge
11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Believe me or not i have leaf customers that gladly pay $1500 plus for leaf work! Big properties , lots of landscaping bed areas , hilly properties, etc. these are big money leaf jobs ! Leaf season to me is a gold mine!

gene gls
11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Believe me or not i have leaf customers that gladly pay $1500 plus for leaf work! Big properties , lots of landscaping bed areas , hilly properties, etc. these are big money leaf jobs ! Leaf season to me is a gold mine!

Leaf season is a golden time of year for me also. With the right equipment you can make some bucks and its easy work.

landscaper22
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
After 5 years, I still sometimes mess up on leaf job pricing myself. Maybe it's just me, but $500 didn't seem too low for the leaf job. Not for about a 3/4 acre lot. I can do a 1/2 acre lot with lots of leaves in less than 2 hours. Of course I have not seen this yard. If the leaves have been on the ground for like an entire year or more, that is a different story. Once they get rained on over and over and start to decay, they are a pain. But in my area, if I give prices over $500 for leaf jobs on a lot smaller than an acre, I would be spending lots of time at home with no work coming in. But as much as I hate leaf cleanup, I guess That's not a bad idea.......:)

baddboygeorge
11-04-2007, 11:09 PM
give me a few weeks an let me take some pics of the equipment in action , I have a machine that has an 18 hp blower on rear an 6 foot leaf plow on front , its the cadillac for leaf work, I also got a truck vac, dump truck, i have 2 turf sweepers, back pack blowers, walk blowers. etc.It took years to acquire this equipment for leaf work but once ya do an ya have the clientel to back it you can make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.have fun George

landscaper22
11-05-2007, 04:02 PM
give me a few weeks an let me take some pics of the equipment in action , I have a machine that has an 18 hp blower on rear an 6 foot leaf plow on front , its the cadillac for leaf work, I also got a truck vac, dump truck, i have 2 turf sweepers, back pack blowers, walk blowers. etc.It took years to acquire this equipment for leaf work but once ya do an ya have the clientel to back it you can make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.have fun George

Man, you have a lot more equipment than me. I just use blowers and mowers mainly. I blow out from beds and around house, etc....then use a mower to get the leaves up.. If the leaves are fairly thick, I use an old craftsman riding mower and just keep riding over them with no bagger until they are mulched up fairly well, and I then use a mower with a bagger to pick the leaves up and dump in truck or woods. Seems to work well. I may have to ride over the yard several times, but that is easy work.

I would like to see pics though. Maybe I am under charging for leaves, but I use my mowing price as a guideline. I realize it will take atleast twice as long to do leaves, maybe three taimes as long. Then I add like $35 per truck load to haul. So say a yard that is $50 to cut If I clean up leaves for the customer and end up with 2 truck loads of leaves to haul, I may charge like $200 for a half day of work for one man....Not bad to me.