PDA

View Full Version : fall clean up pricing question

shade tree landscaping
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Do you guys chrage your hourly ammount per man? Meaning $45an hour per person, 2 guys $90 an hour and so on. Do you let the cutomer know how much per hour they are being charged, or just give them an estimate and not let them know about the hourly charge? thanks in advance guys!

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Definitely DO NOT tell anyone about your hourly charge!
People FREAK OUT!
Im NOT paying 90$ an hour.
You charge them how many hours you think its gonna be.
90 an hour is too much anyhows working with what you have there, I see your using a hownowner backpack, you dont have a leafloader, a redmax 8001, nothing to speed up your process.
Just some rakes and a hownowner backpack with wet leaves your gonna piss people off charging 90 an hour, your not gonna bag many jobs.
Charge by the half day.
Judging by your equipment, Id say the most your gonna get with 2 people is 300 a half day, Thats the most.
Thats my opinion.

shade tree landscaping
10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
If I can line up enogugh jobs then I'm gonna invest in a Redmax7001. Def don't let them know the hourly charge then? Do you charge a flat hourly rate, or charge per person?

hackitdown
10-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Here is what I do. I know in my head that I want $60 per hour for me, and $45 for the helper. So I want to charge $105/hr. When they call, I tell the customer I have a minimum charge of $300. When I arrive to do the estimate, I tell the customer that it is impossible to give a set price, so I give them a range...like $350 to 450 based on my guess that it would take 3.5 to 4.5 hrs. If they insist on a set price, I just say ok, it will be $450. Then they say that they want the range!

BTW, I use a backpack, a walkbehind blower, tarps/rakes, and a ZTR. I do not haul away.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 11:54 AM
No, I basically charge by the looks of the job, the feel of the customer.
On 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots the very most youll get on 1/2 acre with alot of trees is 600.
1/4 acre with mild trees 2-350, those are estimates.
Get yourself a redmax 8001, trust me, they are not heavy like some say, but with a homeowner model, get yourself 1 kickass blower.
www.texasmowerparts.com , get the number off that site, call travis, and hell ship one to you with the warranty papers all filled out and mailed in for 520.
no tax no shipping.
youll get it in 3 days most.
trust me, itll pay for itself.
I was using a home depot echo backpack, which was ok, but now...omg.
listen if you like landscaping in a 74 vega, thats fine, but its much better in a 2007 f-450 dump bed.
thats the comparison I make in the 2 blowers.
A WHOLE WORLD APART!
the 8001 moves leaves like paper, even wet ones.
Youll clear driveways without moving from 1 spot.
yes it eats alot of mix, but hey, you gotta pay to play.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 11:59 AM
BTW, I use a backpack, a walkbehind blower, tarps/rakes, and a ZTR. I do not haul away.
I dont know where you get 105 an hour, I bet you dont do alot of jobs, especially since you dont haul it away.
If I didnt haul, I would have done no work this spring.
105 an hour?
Thats nuts.
a helper is 10 an hour, and you charge the customer 45?
wow thats great, you should be a millionaire in 3 years with that plan.

shade tree landscaping
10-27-2007, 12:37 PM
thanks for the tips SOUTH SHORE...whats the real difference between the Redmax 7001 and the 8001?

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 01:18 PM
The 8001 is a little bigger, more comfortable. something like 1.9 lbs heavier, nothing youd notice.
Ok heres the difference.
about 19 cc's of power from what i remember.
or 16?
anyways, the 8001 moves piles much better.
if your only using a blower to blow off walks and driveways, use the 7001.
If your using it as your only blower, id go with the 8001, which I do and I did.
I sold my two echo's.
The 8001 will do your driveways, blow wet grass off walks easy, as well as moves large piles of leaves, wet too.
If you dont own a decent ground blower, 9 hp or more, get an 8001, its a cheaper alternative to having to buy both a ground blower and a 7001, or cheaper model.
Good luck

Stillwater
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I dont know where you get 105 an hour, I bet you dont do alot of jobs, especially since you dont haul it away.
If I didnt haul, I would have done no work this spring.
105 an hour?
Thats nuts.
a helper is 10 an hour, and you charge the customer 45?
wow thats great, you should be a millionaire in 3 years with that plan.

no it is not nuts, what is nuts is he charges less per man hour for his helper and that is ******ed. I am in ma. to and his labor rate is not unusual what is unusual is chargeing 60 for him and LESS for the other guy.

hackitdown
10-27-2007, 04:39 PM
no it is not nuts, what is nuts is he charges less per man hour for his helper and that is ******ed. I am in ma. to and his labor rate is not unusual what is unusual is chargeing 60 for him and LESS for the other guy.

It is not nuts in my opinion. The $60 covers me and all the equipment. The 45 is for a 2nd man.

I am not twice as productive with two, since I have only 1 WB blower and 1 ZTR, so I think it is fair to the customer. If I work alone, I can do 2 small cleanups in a day. With the helper I can do 3.

But thanks for the ******ed comment. You are a real gentleman. Keep your rude comments to yourself. And learn to spell, try "charging". I am in MA, "too". Who is a ******?

mattfromNY
10-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I am getting $100/ hour + hauling fees for leaf cleanups, myself and one employee. 2 BR600's, Little Wonder truck loader into 10' dump trailer. Have not had one complaint about prices. Last year we tarped everything and dragged to the trailer, then pulled them.... Not again! Its nice to look like you are REALLY working for the customer, so they think they are getting their money's worth, but in the end, all they really care is that the leaves are gone, and they didn't have to touch them.

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Look man, 105 an hour is crazy, I live on long island, one of the richest areas in the world, but, however I cut in a middle class hood. 500,000-750,000$ houses, and where I live you cannot charge 105 an hour and leave the leaves.
Thats crazy.
Children rake leaves and leave them for the garbage man.
They get 10$ an hour.
Professional landscapers charge for taking leaves, bottom line.

hackitdown
10-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Look man, 105 an hour is crazy, I live on long island, one of the richest areas in the world, but, however I cut in a middle class hood. 500,000-750,000$ houses, and where I live you cannot charge 105 an hour and leave the leaves.
Thats crazy.
They get 10$ an hour.

Ok fine, call me crazy, I guess I can get used to it. But some might say that leaving money on the table by charging less than one needs to get the business is "crazy".

It is $105/hr to take the leaves, $105/hr to leave the leaves. If it takes 3 hours work to leave the leaves, charge them $315. If it takes 4.5 hrs to take the leaves, charge them $475. Whatever they want is fine by me.

Children don't charge enough.

Stillwater
10-27-2007, 07:44 PM
It is not nuts in my opinion. The $60 covers me and all the equipment. The 45 is for a 2nd man.

I am not twice as productive with two, since I have only 1 WB blower and 1 ZTR, so I think it is fair to the customer. If I work alone, I can do 2 small cleanups in a day. With the helper I can do 3.

But thanks for the ******ed comment. You are a real gentleman. Keep your rude comments to yourself. And learn to spell, try "charging". I am in MA, "too". Who is a ******?

I sincerely apologize if I knew in advance you were so sensitive I would have softened my words for you special. You are new in this business I suggest you thicken your skin a little or maybe just click ignore all my posts in your options menu. But what ever you do I suggest you read again what I posted then maybe you will realize I was supporting you and not criticizing you. But thank you for your criticism in the future I will press the spell check button before posting.

HOOLIE
10-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Thats crazy.
They get 10$ an hour.

A lot of companies bag the leaves here...by Thanksgiving you see bags lined up all over the place. So don't make assumptions. What works on Long Island may not be the norm elsewhere.

$105 for 2 men is not crazy...only crazy if you quote that hourly rate.

BrandonsLawnAndSnow
10-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Around here I charge $65/hr per 60 rider
45/hr push blower
32/hr back pack blower
25/man with rake
$12 to dispose of a garbage can of leaves approx.50 gallons

SouthShoreLandscape
10-27-2007, 09:46 PM
How would you go about tallying that up?
I just judge a job by the looks.
Dont get me wrong Ive taken losses before.
When you come into the industry , your prices have to be down.

BrandonsLawnAndSnow
10-27-2007, 09:53 PM
You have to work to make money, not work to just break even, your work proves it

BrandonsLawnAndSnow
10-27-2007, 10:55 PM
I would do all my clean ups like that. I charge all those rates by the hour

Stillwater
10-28-2007, 03:42 AM
Around here I charge $65/hr per 60 rider
45/hr push blower
32/hr back pack blower
25/man with rake
$12 to dispose of a garbage can of leaves approx.50 gallons

that is a disposal fee of about 360.00 / 460.00 per full sized pick up truck packed down. even though they possibly never even see their bills they have people who pay their bills for them, my Grammy winning multi billzillionaire rock star, Rock and Roll hall of fame member customer would possibly choke on that and they are not even my customers with the deepest pockets I coulden't have that as a line item on the bill. I would have to hide that in the bill somewhere

Stillwater
10-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Thats crazy.
They get 10$ an hour.

Some say Long Island is the leading highest-technology area in the entire world. Next to Washington It currently, right now right at this very second has the most Nuke missles locked in. You most likely are one of the first to go even in a limited exchange of missles. Don't worry though by treaty those computers are not even turned on right now. But who knows what China, Russia do.

Stillwater
10-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Thats crazy.
They get 10$ an hour.

I don't line item bills anymore though and never disclose a hour rate per man unless "directly" asked and if they also disclose what they make. my income is personal and not the customers business. I consider that a personal and in appropriate question and usually respond that way.

cks dad
10-28-2007, 09:18 AM
We charge for clean ups up here in Ohio 40.00 per man hour

cod8825
10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Do you guys chrage your hourly ammount per man? Meaning $45an hour per person, 2 guys $90 an hour and so on. Do you let the cutomer know how much per hour they are being charged, or just give them an estimate and not let them know about the hourly charge? thanks in advance guys!

Shade Tree,

If you are still monitoring this thread. The consensus that I am gathering is that you need to determine a price that is suitable for you per hour and that is it. When I was first getting into the business I was reading a thread here that suited my situation. This individual was a solo operation posting to somebody who was just getting started asking questions about what he should charge for this and that. His answer was this and it has stuck with me and shapped the way that I bid. "Determine what one hour of your life is worth and charge accordingly"

Basically in my mind to put up with the hassles and frustrations of marketing, invoicing, taxes, and on and on... In my mind my time is worth to me 50/hr 40 hrs a week 32 weeks a year(growing season) that is how I bid lawn apps, mowing, everything. Now I have been wrong in my estimates and not made the 50/hr but over the season I have averaged out to about 40/hr not bad for first year. I hope this helps

shade tree landscaping
10-28-2007, 05:05 PM
thanks for the advice COD8825!