PDA

View Full Version : PVB pulsates on and off

sencinia
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Just replaced 2 above ground 3/4" valves with 1" below ground.
Could the size be the cause? Only happens when it comes on.
Sometimes it comes on after a fews pulses. Sometimes the PVB just stays open.
Need help. First time this has happened.

irrig8r
10-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I've only had this happen when there isn't enough flow to keep the float open... i.e. a drip irrigation zone. Sometimes it's required running two small drip zones at once.

sencinia
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Believe I solved it.
I adjusted the outlet valve on PVB to 3/4 on.
Valves open up just fine. All zones work fine also, i.e all sprayers pop up
just as before.
Can anyone explain why this works?

Kiril
10-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Why isn't it wide open?

Dirty Water
10-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Sometimes the flow control needs to be tuned to zone at hand. I've seen it more than a few times.

Kiril
10-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Why would you use the PVB for flow control? Why not use the valve, assuming it has flow control?

Dirty Water
10-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Why would you use the PVB for flow control? Why not use the valve, assuming it has flow control?

I was referring to the flow control on the valve.

Kiril
10-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Ah, yes, that was what you meant by zone. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1087.gif

Oh btw DW, one of the developers I have done some work with got his server hacked. Got all the code if your interested in a peek.

Dirty Water
10-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Ah, yes, that was what you meant by zone. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1087.gif

Oh btw DW, one of the developers I have done some work with got his server hacked. Got all the code if your interested in a peek.

Amusing.

If the code base I work on were to get leaked to the public, we would have a serious public relations problem on our hands.

Let me guess, typical LAMP setup server?

They are not as bulletproof as people think.

Laugh if you want, but we run a farm of Win 2k3 servers with IIS 6.0.

Wet_Boots
10-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Believe I solved it.
I adjusted the outlet valve on PVB to 3/4 on.
Valves open up just fine. All zones work fine also, i.e all sprayers pop up
just as before.
Can anyone explain why this works?Closing down the outlet valve on a PVB assembly will prevent excess pressure drop in the PVB when a zone valve opens, although you probably would be better off using flow-controls on the valves for this.

Kiril
10-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Amusing. Let me guess, typical LAMP setup server?

Not sure. He did say it was an IIS server, however the code is PHP. Some pretty insidious stuff. Gave full access to the server and databases.

He tracked it down to one of his ecommerce accounts, it had open admin access or something similar.

Server security gets sketchy when your supporting 3rd party scripts.

sencinia
10-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks to all that replied.
Good info.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Not sure. He did say it was an IIS server, however the code is PHP. Some pretty insidious stuff. Gave full access to the server and databases.

He tracked it down to one of his ecommerce accounts, it had open admin access or something similar.

Server security gets sketchy when your supporting 3rd party scripts.

I should know better than to wander into computer talk but this might interest you. Friend who was in the Air Force and stationed at a Nuclear missle silo was telling me they still use the old 60s style IBM reel type computers. Reason he says is they are hack proof.

Kiril
10-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I should know better than to wander into computer talk but this might interest you. Friend who was in the Air Force and stationed at a Nuclear missle silo was telling me they still use the old 60s style IBM reel type computers. Reason he says is they are hack proof.

Yup, that is called security by obscurity and some would debate it is not security at all, however I would expect in this case they are functionally isolated from the external world.

Dirty Water
10-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Yup, that is called security by obscurity and some would debate it is not security at all, however I would expect in this case they are functionally isolated from the external world.

Security by Obscurity is a farce.

Thats akin to not protecting your database because you hid the connection string in the code of your program.

Thats not security.

Kiril
10-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Security by Obscurity is a farce.

Thats akin to not protecting your database because you hid the connection string in the code of your program.

Thats not security.

Agreed. :clapping:

Dirty Water
10-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Agreed. :clapping:

A good example of this are the folks at Reddit.com

They had their database stolen, which contained tens of thousands of accounts all with passwords stored in plaintext.

It seemed that the Reddit Guys figured the chances of losing the entire database were slim, so they didn't bother with password hashing.

Painful lesson learned.

Kiril
10-28-2007, 03:18 PM
A good example of this are the folks at Reddit.com

They had their database stolen, which contained tens of thousands of accounts all with passwords stored in plaintext.

It seemed that the Reddit Guys figured the chances of losing the entire database were slim, so they didn't bother with password hashing.

Painful lesson learned.

Wow, did not know that. Storing (and transmitting IMHO) any sensitive data in plain text is silly stupid. At a absolute minimum, md5 hash your passwords.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Wow, did not know that. Storing (and transmitting IMHO) any sensitive data in plain text is silly stupid. At a absolute minimum, md5 hash your passwords.

I knew I should never have wandered into computer talk. Thank goodness for Apple which means I don't have to think about this stuff.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 03:22 PM

::crawls out of thread, head hurting::

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 04:16 PM
speaking of apple, i upgraded last night w/ the new os. it's snappier™ we us all mac stuff at the office, no viruses, no downtime and life is grand except our website & email are down this weekend and the darn host isn't answering emails or phone calls... they us NT so that might be the problem

Kiril
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
speaking of apple, i upgraded last night w/ the new os. it's snappier™ we us all mac stuff at the office, no viruses, no downtime and life is grand except our website & email are down this weekend and the darn host isn't answering emails or phone calls... they us NT so that might be the problem

Sounds like it's time to change hosts.

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 04:21 PM
i know i'm thinking about upgrading my dsl connection at the office and just doing it off my xserve. we host our "plant database" off that and i must say it has been bullet proof. I touch that computer about once a year, it handles all our user accounts, net boots some computers and stores our MASSIVE photo library (for design and plant id) my only problem is internet out here in the boon docks ain't the cheapest.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 04:24 PM

When you get ROTAR down there with his pin stripe suit & snap brim fedora
he'll just wander into the host office &.......problem solved.

Kiril
10-28-2007, 04:24 PM
First lesson in running web servers: nothing is bullet proof.

How about getting a T1 run to your location. :dancing: :clapping: :cool2: :clapping: :dancing:

Dirty Water
10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
First lesson in running web servers: nothing is bullet proof.

How about getting a T1 run to your location. :dancing: :clapping: :cool2: :clapping: :dancing:

A single T1 is only about 500 or so a month these days, its the installation fee that kills you.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 04:43 PM
A single T1 is only about 500 or so a month these days, its the installation fee that kills you.

"ONLY"??? Jeez Jon....$500 is cutting into bottom line for most of us.

Kiril
10-28-2007, 04:45 PM
"ONLY"??? Jeez Jon....$500 is cutting into bottom line for most of us.

Actually, that is considered cheap these days.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Actually, that is considered cheap these days.

Dork question...what does that do?

Dirty Water
10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Dork question...what does that do?

It's a big and reliable connection from you directly to the internet. Cutting out a lot of the middlemen. While they are not super fast by todays standards, they are reliable, and good for connecting servers to the internet.

A T1 line can also carry phone data, we can dial an extension in the office and it will ring in Tampa, how cool is that :)

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
a T1 HA! i wish. we are subject to the Cooperative phone company, we pay twice what people in durham do (where my wife's mother is) but you know, the coop is working for us and they're not after profit. i used to have vonage but the coop started blocking their service so as to keep up longdistance charges. i now have a skype box plugged into our tel system, has worked great so far brother says that skype doesn't use the same port all the time so it adapts to "the man" $30/yr unlimited long distance