PDA

View Full Version : 1st Year Inventory?

RedWingsDet
10-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Well this is my first "real" year doing irrigation, I have replaced heads the past years but thats about it. Ive done several installs, along with some repair work (replacing valves, selenoids, clocks, leaks, etc. etc.) and blowouts.

My question is, how do you guys determine how much these parts are, so you can figure out how much $ in inventory is sitting at your shop (how mch per head, nozzle, elbow, etc). I organized everything really well today, however there are still parts I need to organize. I know this is not nearly as much as you pro's have, but for my first year I think its decent.

BTW: What are the Hunter PGJ's used for, I have a few but never installed one or serviced one yet?

My Spray Nozzles:
73 Quarters (8,10,12, and 15's)
74 Fulls (8,10,12,15, and adj's)
96 Halfs (8,10,12, and 15's)
44 (15CST, 15EST, 9&15SST)
120 Clear, Blue, Gray Filters.

Other:
90 1" Elbows
76 1" T's
80 1" Couplings
100 more fittings.
About 200 swing pipe fittings.
3 Extra Selinoids
6 Valves
a whole box of other parts I may need.

14 Hunter Sprays
3 PGJ's
4 PGP's
and what I hate most are 2 impact heads (I used to love them before I knew anything about sprinklers).
300ft 1" Pipe
80ft 3/4" Pipe
25ft soaker hose
400ft of swing pipe.
Roll of 250ft of 8 wire electrical line.

hoskm01
10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
You are going to go crazy trying to keep track of each and every nozzle, filter, coupling, 90,45,T,bushing blah blah blah.

Keep track of the things that make you the most money on paper. Stock things you use all the time (those listed above) when you can see that you need them. Your trips to the Irr shoip should be buying a carton of whatever it is you are there for, not just the two you need for the job. I am still in therapy from my first ever Irrigation job, I itemized every.single.piece.of.anything.that.i.used for one system. It was the most painful thing I have ever done.

Charging for each piece is important when you use it, but tracking it is above and beyond. Youve got better things to do.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
You are going to go crazy trying to keep track of each and every nozzle, filter, coupling, 90,45,T,bushing blah blah blah.

Keep track of the things that make you the most money on paper. Stock things you use all the time (those listed above) when you can see that you need them. Your trips to the Irr shoip should be buying a carton of whatever it is you are there for, not just the two you need for the job. I am still in therapy from my first ever Irrigation job, I itemized every.single.piece.of.anything.that.i.used for one system. It was the most painful thing I have ever done.

Charging for each piece is important when you use it, but tracking it is above and beyond. Youve got better things to do.

words=taken right out of my mouth/fingers.

RedWingsDet
10-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Okay thanks guys. I figured tracking it all would get old quick. So charge for the parts + service?

Thanks fellas!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Okay thanks guys. I figured tracking it all would get old quick. So charge for the parts + service?

Thanks fellas!

you time is better used drinking beer than wondering why you have 14 12' half fixed spray nozzles..

cheers

RedWingsDet
10-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Haha, thanks. How do you guys keep your trucks organized, ive seen a couple around here, and both companies about about 6-8 service trucks, and have special shelving made. Is there a company that makes these shelves in their vans, or do they fab them up? Thanks.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Haha, thanks. How do you guys keep your trucks organized, ive seen a couple around here, and both companies about about 6-8 service trucks, and have special shelving made. Is there a company that makes these shelves in their vans, or do they fab them up? Thanks.

give me a few secs and ill post my trucks storage pics.

we subbed out the work to a guy who knows whats up..

As I'm sure everyone here will agree with me,Keep your house messy,Keep your back yard messy,keep your life in general a mess,BUT ALWAYS KEEP YOUR TRUCK ORGANIZED!!!!!!

pics = on the way

Bigred350
10-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Special shelves in truck for tools glue nozzles electrical, milk cartons for fittings valves and heads, tote trays for swing pipe fittings, 5 gallon buckets for toting around random fittings while doing new installs and repairs.

The list can go on and on. The best way to keep things orginized is have one place for everything.

topsites
10-28-2007, 03:56 AM
The big purchases such as mowers and blowers and even trimmers are fairly easy, for everything else I guesstimate, might be over or under some but I do try and be accurate. In the end, I look to make sure the total $ of inventory acquired = the total expense $ (for the year), minus fuel and a few other things of course.

I do have a running total of all expenses by category, that helps.
My Visa Business card sends me this itemized and categorized statement at the end of the year, this helps even more.
Yes, ALL of my business expenses go on the credit card, I almost never pay cash or check.

Then I did my first year in a Text file, yup, plain and simple.
This Text file gets used now every year, simply updates it.
I usually take a day like in January and with a clipboard and pen and last year's text file on paper I go through my stuff, editing / adding / deleting as needed, then I re-do the computer file... The first year was the hardest, now if it takes me an hour.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-28-2007, 09:32 AM
. In the end, I look to make sure the total $ of inventory acquired = the total expense $ (for the year), minus fuel and a few other things of course.

Why doesn't this make sense to me? Your inventory acquired will equal your COGS expense for the year I'm sure. I think you do maintenance. Whole different animal than irrigation.

jimmyburg
10-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Well this is my first "real" year doing irrigation, I have replaced heads the past years but thats about it. Ive done several installs, along with some repair work (replacing valves, selenoids, clocks, leaks, etc. etc.) and blowouts.

My question is, how do you guys determine how much these parts are, so you can figure out how much $ in inventory is sitting at your shop (how mch per head, nozzle, elbow, etc). I organized everything really well today, however there are still parts I need to organize. I know this is not nearly as much as you pro's have, but for my first year I think its decent.

BTW: What are the Hunter PGJ's used for, I have a few but never installed one or serviced one yet?

My Spray Nozzles:
73 Quarters (8,10,12, and 15's)
74 Fulls (8,10,12,15, and adj's)
96 Halfs (8,10,12, and 15's)
44 (15CST, 15EST, 9&15SST)
120 Clear, Blue, Gray Filters.

Other:
90 1" Elbows
76 1" T's
80 1" Couplings
100 more fittings.
About 200 swing pipe fittings.
3 Extra Selinoids
6 Valves
a whole box of other parts I may need.

14 Hunter Sprays
3 PGJ's
4 PGP's
and what I hate most are 2 impact heads (I used to love them before I knew anything about sprinklers).
300ft 1" Pipe
80ft 3/4" Pipe
25ft soaker hose
400ft of swing pipe.
Roll of 250ft of 8 wire electrical line.

I buy my supplies from Ewing, and on the invoice they have my cost and the cost that you would charge the customer.

Also try to keep a as built design or drawing to keep track of parts that helps also, it dosent have to be with a cad, but hand draw will work to.

hoskm01
10-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I buy my supplies from Ewing, and on the invoice they have my cost and the cost that you would charge the customer.

Also try to keep a as built design or drawing to keep track of parts that helps also, it dosent have to be with a cad, but hand draw will work to.
Ewing publishes a net price book yearly that assists greatly with cost vs retail on anything they sell.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Ewing publishes a net price book yearly that assists greatly with cost vs retail on anything they sell.

That's cool..I never had the luxury.

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Ewing though a great supplier tends to be on the expensive side, they were about $2+/ mp rotator when than my mystery supplier.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Ewing though a great supplier tends to be on the expensive side, they were about $2+/ mp rotator when than my mystery supplier.

$1.70 here....

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 05:26 PM
i just notice my previous post was garbled... i apologize ML

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 05:51 PM
I think up here in new england we were paying 12 $ per mp....is that to much?

londonrain
10-28-2007, 06:15 PM
We pay $5 a mp

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
We pay $5 a mp

Whoa........!

Mr. Vern
10-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Assuming you are doing new installations and not just repairs, you might be able to leverage our approach.

I keep each of the trailers stocked with enough parts to do the average size job plus all of the odd ball stuff that might come up. This cuts down on frequent trips to the supplier. Then when we sign the contract on a job I send over an order for what should be the parts to do the job. When the guys are ready to do the irrigation they either stop by and pick up the order or they have it delivered to the jobsite. By doing this they only have to pull from the trailer the materials that I missed in the takeoff or the oddball stuff that could not be predicted. We use the invoice from the job for our job costing and roll the inventory refresh on the trailers up as overhead and spread it across all of the irrigation jobs.
We find this approach to be the best way to balance having good costing data with having an easily administered inventory management system. Seems to work well for us. The only difficulty I find is getting the guys to replenish their inventories prior to needing the parts - were still working on that one.
When it comes to service calls or T&M jobs we just have the guys write down what was used and we invoice from the office so there is no need to have the parts prices in the field.

Hope this helps

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
$12 for just the nozzle or whole assembly.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
5.05 to 4.85 for MPs depending on type.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 07:57 PM
5.05 to 4.85 for MPs depending on type.

Quite a difference throughout the feeding chain!

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 08:01 PM
We pay $5 a mp

!!!!OMG.

our mp always comes with those hunter SRS head.

buy 1 mp and get 1 hunter 4'' srs free.

But still we only go to that supply house for the mpr..

to bad its not the other way around.

but 5$$ is cheap man..you must you a lot of them.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
$12 for just the nozzle or whole assembly.

12 dollars just for 1 mp rotor....and they throw in a free srs...but we just go there to buy the mp...

They charge us big dollars and we are always the last to get the cool stuff.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
. The only difficulty I find is getting the guys to replenish their inventories prior to needing the parts - were still working on that one

My favorite employee quote.."we're out of 1" 90s"...."um, does that mean
we can't start today?" "Yep".:angry: :hammerhead:

Mr. Vern
10-28-2007, 08:18 PM
My favorite employee quote.."we're out of 1" 90s"...."um, does that mean
we can't start today?" "Yep".:angry: :hammerhead:

That stuff just frosts me - I look over the statements from the supplier and when I see a low dollar invoice I know that somebody didn't do their job and check their inventories on Friday. It costs me $20+ in labor to have them pick up a $.43 part, not to mention the guys on the jobsite probably stood around waiting for it.:hammerhead:

I actually got frustrated about a similar experience the other day and I asked one of my best guys "do I ever ask you guys to take shortcuts?", and he replies "nope, theyre all self inflicted". You gotta be able to laugh with the guys I guess:laugh:

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 08:24 PM
They always laugh..it's not their biz, they know (in most cases) you're
over the barrel..paycheck on Friday. (Many times I wished I was one of them)

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
rotor I'm paying ~$5 and just now started using any... yall might be getting hosed because that free 4" aint free

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 08:41 PM
rotor I'm paying ~$5 and just now started using any... yall might be getting hosed because that free 4" aint free

Dude its horrible..
Our main supply house deals with Hunter just like us as a company..But the other place for sprinkler supplies(H/O friendly)..The H/O supply house is the only establishment on the Cape with the MP rotor....In our shop we have a over load of the SRS 4''. I think its a huge sham..We have to beg our Hunter reps to get the blue nozzles(never a charge cause we order 100 + cases of pgp's a year). But still.....We are always the last to get cool toys.The smartline controller just was put up in our main supplier 2 months ago....We are seasonal, so i guess its par the course.we pay about 180 for a case of pgp's..

hoskm01
10-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I think up here in new england we were paying 12 $ per mp....is that to much?

Ill start supplying you from here. I can outfit an MP on an 1804 for 10 bucks. Shipping is free. 75 head minimum. Free nipples with pallet quantity.

Might cost me 6 bucks each shipped. This could be my big break...

jimmyburg
10-29-2007, 10:26 AM

so whats your point. i know that.

hoskm01
10-29-2007, 12:01 PM
so whats your point. i know that.

I was trying to include everyone else, perhaps some dont know that!

hoskm01
10-29-2007, 12:01 PM
$1.70 here....

Proximity apparently still has its benefits...

jimmyburg
10-29-2007, 12:03 PM
I was trying to include everyone else, perhaps some dont know that!

Ok :waving:

hoskm01
10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok :waving:
Do you base your prices off of their net price recommendations? I use it and it seems to work well for mark-up.

jimmyburg
10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Do you base your prices off of their net price recommendations? I use it and it seems to work well for mark-up.

Yes, sometimes, just depends in what area im in. but mostly yes.