what Mac & connections should I get so as so hassle all
whilst on the road?

what you looking for?

get a macbook>build an antenna.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
what you looking for?

get a macbook>build an antenna.

Just something simple to communicate..."build an antenna"? Whut?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Just something simple to communicate..."build an antenna"? Whut?

my old man is a wicked mac geek..

There is a antenna you can build to pick up others wifi signal...

Ill ask him about it next time see him.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 06:07 PM
my old man is a wicked mac geek..

There is a antenna you can build to pick up others wifi signal...

Ill ask him about it next time see him.

Thank you..a MAC that I can send photos to you all.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Thank you..a MAC that I can send photos to you all.

dude that would be sweet...

you must be stoked to take this trip...
EDIT:MIKE i forgot to tell you..There is a legit website that documents wifi hot spots all over the US...So in theory I could just type in a few zip codes and pick up some wifi

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
dude that would be sweet...

you must be stoked to take this trip...
EDIT:MIKE i forgot to tell you..There is a legit website that documents wifi hot spots all over the US...So in theory I could just type in a few zip codes and pick up some wifi

Link?............. Yes, very stoked (where did you learn that surfer term?) to leave..wife has had
family problems, I'm trying to button up my project & winterize too..usually long gone by now.:)
By the way, it's "stoka bokka, huzza wazza".

Wet_Boots
10-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Why does it have to be a Mac? You could deal with an ordinary laptop, and spend the savings on beer. :drinkup:

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Why does it have to be a Mac? You could deal with an ordinary laptop, and spend the savings on beer. :drinkup:

Oh..& order the cases of Cabernet Sauvignon...thanx Boots.:)

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 07:07 PM
mike one of the guys who works for me just bought a nice used mac mini on ebay if you can't swing the massive $949 for a refurb macbook check ebay for the previous models ibook. oh and if youre going to be "borrowing" there are a number of 802.11x anteannas and amps that will make it more easy. or you could just buy an iphone, by bro has one and loves it, i of course can't have one because he says I'd break it or get it wet but from what Rotor tells me you stay in the command post mostly so you'd not have a problem

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
mike one of the guys who works for me just bought a nice used mac mini on ebay if you can't swing the massive $949 for a refurb macbook check ebay for the previous models ibook. oh and if youre going to be "borrowing" there are a number of 802.11x anteannas and amps that will make it more easy. or you could just buy an iphone, by bro has one and loves it, i of course can't have one because he says I'd break it or get it wet but from what Rotor tells me you stay in the command post mostly so you'd not have a problem

Thanks, Brandon...Just looking for something to keep in touch on the road.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 07:25 PM

HA!!!!!!!So brandon, when i get down there instead of worrying about internet access I should just get a iphone?

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 07:29 PM
HA!!!!!!!So brandon, when i get down there instead of worrying about internet access I should just get a iphone?

Were you hired as computor bob? Don't think so.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Were you hired as computor bob? Don't think so.

easy there DR Leary...... I was just wondering the intraweb access in his area. Obviously there is jack sh!t in the mts. but if the iphone works i'd think about getting it....

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 07:32 PM
well that's up to you he's wanting to be mobile. dsl is a better option for the "viewing needs" of a young unmarried lad.

Mike Leary
10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
well that's up to you he's wanting to be mobile. dsl is a better option for the "viewing needs" of a young unmarried lad.

Well said, my friend.:)

BrandonV
10-28-2007, 07:35 PM
i'm actually thinking about putting up a bigger antenna here on the farm and trying to beam 1 dsl connection to my house, my office and my bros house. I've been able to beam it about 1/4 mile so far but need a higher point to reach all three locations. if we could get it to work that'd be hot but 500acres is a big lot to cover

Kiril
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't count on WiFi. If you want reliable access, satellite is the only option I know of.

Mount one of these on your RV and all you need to do it find the satellite when your parked and your good to go. Plus you can get TV to go along with it.

http://www.expertsatellite.com/satellite-internet

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Ordinary is the perfect word for what you are suggesting he buy.

hoskm01
10-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Get on Craigslist and find a used one.

PurpHaze
10-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Personally Mikey... a couple of tin cans and a VERY LONG wire would work just fine. But... cars and people would trip over it so there are some liability issues.