PDA

View Full Version : New radio remote control for Bobcat

Fieldman12
10-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Just got my latest Bobcat Worksaver magazine in the mail and it talks about a radio remote control that you can now get from your Bobcat. You can now operate from outside the cab with a joystick setup. Anyone seen it yet? I have figured for a while that machine would be able to run there self in the Construction field. Looks like its getting closer to that age.

Fieldman12
10-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Have not read the entire article yet for all the details.

cat2
10-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes I've seen it on the computer too. i don't think this is a good idea

JB1
10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
they already have been running dozers by remote.

SiteSolutions
10-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I would love to have one; I don't know if i can afford it tho. I could sit in my truck and listen to the radio and run the loader at the same time. Just saving my hearing would probably make it worth it in the long run; I could probably make up the difference in saving on all those hearing aid batteries. Oh, yeah, and let it roll over one time without me in it, and I would say it paid for itself again. I think it would be nice if Bobcat could get the joysticks in the cab to work right first, though, before they try to get fancy.

Precision Lawns
10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't find this article, can someone link it?

Fieldman12
10-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I look at Bobcat's website every once and a while but Im not sure if this article is on there or not. I found it in the 2007 Fall edition catalog they sent me in the mail. I finally read the article and one of the comments made was you may now not need another person or two with you helping. In a way I agree with that and a way I dont. You would not need any one watching you while backing of a trailer since you could stand far away behind the trailer and watch while backing it with a remote. As far as on the job though it is hard to use a hand rake and control a joystick at the same time so in that case im sure you would still need the helper. Another thing I wondered about is how quick can you get use to the joystick. I picture it kind of like playing a video game or running a track hoe. To me though it would kind be like running one of those little RC cars around. From what I remember they take some getting use too at learning how to drive well. I could see people too attempting to take them up hills and so on they would not attempt to go up if they was not in the seat. That can be good that your not in the seat but some how unless there is some kind of safety feature in place I can see people tipping allot more of them or flipping them over on there side when in a ditch. Anyway just a few comments.

RockSet N' Grade
10-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Bring on the remotes! I would hook mine to a laptop (learn how to use the laptop) and be on Easter Island doing grading somewhere here in the states.

cddva
10-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Technology is often a double edged sword. You can already foresee the next step after the remote control.......a machine that operates itself using gps/laser/infared and pressure sensor technology. That machine probably already exists, it's just how long before it becomes affordable for the masses and puts operator's out of work. While the virtues of how modern machinery eliminates the need for additional crew and enhances productivity is talked about today you can see the talk of tomorrow on the wall, "I don't need opertor's any more, who may be having a bad day and make a mistake or need a break, this programable machine never makes a mistake and works non-stop." Just need one good operator to tell the programer what critical inputs are needed for a specific job and let 'er go to work. OK, OK didn't mean to rain on the parade! Chances are we're all pretty safe for the remainder of our lifetime.........Scag, on the other hand, may want to take some extra computer courses.....(just razzin' with ya)!
Who knows, TigerR may be working on this technology at the CAT R&D facility as we speak?! Beware of Engineers, we've all been led to believe we are improving the quality of life for people through our efforts. You be the judge!

SiteSolutions
10-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Actually, it reminds me of the remote control planes the Air Force flies over Iraq from some shack in New Mexico or Nevada or wherever. I can more easily envision a world where McDiggers Corpoglomerate Inc hires operators and sticks them at a desk all day, running skid steers nationwide from under flourescent lights. Yuck! Of course, if they can do that, they will probably off-shore the whole operation and in twenty years your landscaper will actually be running the machine from Bangledesh.

tallrick
10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like me and my remote controlled lawnmower. I got involved with a church group in Miami once and they were amazed to see me come to help cut their grass with a laptop and a mower with no handles. A DVR board and cams, along with a PC mounted on the mower, I can sit at my laptop and control the mower, or let it go into random mode. From a cool spot in the building I can mow everything. As for the skid steer I thought of this as well, but realistically I don't mind running one. In fact on certain jobs I actually enjoyed it. (anyone need a part-time operator..LOL?)Not doing that kind of work anymore I have began to miss the bouncing, and noise of a skid steer. I never missed pushing a mower in the sun, though and continue to use the wonderful PC based mower even on the hottest days! Also good at my parent's home for scaring code inspectors away.

tallrick
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v0ZeiM3sZL0

Seems like an interesting concept.