PDA

View Full Version : New Fence Install

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Last weekend I purchased all of the materials to build a fence. The fence is to be wood across front and wire on sides and rear and will be 4' tall. These are some shots of one finished side including a 48" wide gate and the construction of the other side that is not yet completed. Home Depot had the fencing boards on sale for $0.97 last weekend along with the pressure treated lumber for 10% off. All posts are installed using concrete and every stringer has a dado notch. Fence boards are mounted to stringers using 4 deck screws each. Sitting back and looking I see no other fence around here built with better detail then this one. I am very happy with the appearance and the fence follows the terrain very well. The right side had a combination of 2, 5, and 7 degree cuts to match terrain. A 2x4 was used to space the boards from grade. I do have a bit of tweaking on the finished side next to the house (Boards need to be lowered).

This is what happens when you put 3 land surveyors/civil engineers on a fence project!!

Right side completed

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Fence%20Install/DSC_8293.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Fence%20Install/DSC_8298.jpg

Completed gate

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Fence%20Install/DSC_8295.jpg

My patented portable chop saw table

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Fence%20Install/DSC_8357.jpg

Myself (Orange shirt), friend from work (Camo hat) and my father (Grey shirt)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Fence%20Install/DSC_8365.jpg

jimmyburg
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
looks good! is that lag bolts you have for the gate?

palm boy
10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
looking good. Need to do one myself, but will have to go with PVC. The constant heat & humidity take their toll on wood quickly down here in Florida. Hope your friend did not miss the game! GO DAWGS !!

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
looking good. Need to do one myself, but will have to go with PVC. The constant heat & humidity take their toll on wood quickly down here in Florida. Hope your friend did not miss the game! GO DAWGS !!

I thought about all the different fence materials and thought wood fit my budget and style better than other materials.

I plan on staining this fence with white stain so hopefully it will last a bit longer then the plain wood.

About the game...its funny you mentioned it...my friend was whining that I had no radio and when we would take a break he would sit on the couch and watch game! He was happy we won though.

palm boy
10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I hear ya. I would go with wood if I still lived up your way (used to live in N Atlanta Mableton area).

Precision Lawns
10-29-2007, 03:19 PM
nice job. My only suggestion (if you're open to them) is to flip the direction of the diagonal support on your gate. it needs to run from the bottom hinge corner to top latch corner in order to properly support the weight over time.
Like I said before great job on craftmanship!

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
nice job. My only suggestion (if you're open to them) is to flip the direction of the diagonal support on your gate. it needs to run from the bottom hinge corner to top latch corner in order to properly support the weight over time.

Thanks precision.....Are you sure about this? I think I would argue with you on this!

(Just looked it up and you appear to be correct!)

GreenT
10-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Precision is absolutely correct. You want to transfer the effect of gravity (weight) down to the bottom hinge and into the ground. As it is, it's pulling from the post and eventually will bring you grief.

Otherwise you did an outstanding job following the contours and it looks well built. Next year when the fence is stained and your grass is nice and green I'm sure your property will look great.

Are you planning to do any landscaping?

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Whoa! Nice looking fence Bro! That thing looks nice. Is your opening only 48" or is it dual 48" gates?
Jay

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 07:16 PM

Yes, lag bolts they are!

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Precision is absolutely correct. You want to transfer the effect of gravity (weight) down to the bottom hinge and into the ground. As it is, it's pulling from the post and eventually will bring you grief.

Otherwise you did an outstanding job following the contours and it looks well built. Next year when the fence is stained and your grass is nice and green I'm sure your property will look great.

Are you planning to do any landscaping?

I see where yall are coming from. I did dado all gate corners and lag bolted and glued. I can easily add another diagonal so I may do that. I do plan on adding some plants but really have no clue or creativity when it comes to plants....any ideas/suggestions welcome!

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Whoa! Nice looking fence Bro! That thing looks nice. Is your opening only 48" or is it dual 48" gates?
Jay

I have a single 48" then it will be 2x60" (10 feet) on the other side.

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks to all who looked at my fence pics and for the positive comments. For those who had suggestions for making the gate stronger I will use that idea on the 5 foot gates.

cgaengineer
10-29-2007, 07:27 PM

The gate frame is attached to a 4x4 post with the 2x4 horizontials dado'd into the 4x4. The other side of the frame is also 2x4 and it to is dado'd and lagged. It should hold up well being notched, bolted and glued.

South Florida Lawns
10-30-2007, 12:41 AM
git r done!