PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start excavating?

Fieldman12
10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Okay, why did you guys decide to start getting into excavating? For me I love equipment, like being out side, own boss (well really the customer is the boss), and more pay.

Scag48
10-29-2007, 06:56 PM
I basically answered this question as part of my apprenticeship application. They asked why I was applying for the program, which is basically the same answer. I started out young, I was always driving tractors on the farm as a kid. I just love iron, I like to know as much about every piece as I can, how to operate it most efficiently, and how to keep it running. I've done pretty well with what I've learned thus far, I take pride in knowing quite a few basic facts of just about every piece there is. What keeps me in this business is what I want to continue to learn, I have a long way to go. There isn't a single job that's exactly the same, every day is different for the most part. I like being outside, can't stand working indoors. I will eventually be running my own show again, I need to learn as much as I can in the next 10 years or so then go on my own. I have a desire to be the best there is and I'm going to keep pushing that mark.

Gravel Rat
10-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Myself I grew up around equipment usually on the small communities on the West Coast out of the larger cities like Vancouver your familly is a part of the resource industry or construction. I may or may not go back to working in the excavation industry but there is no steady work in it anymore.