PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Aerator

Weedburner
10-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Went to the power equipment show looking for a new aerator. Kind of liked the First Products machine. I don't need the seed box, already have an overseeder. I'm thinking about the version sold by Grasshopper that mounts on the ZTR. I think it would be easier to handle than the tractor 3 point version in a lawn. Any one have any experience with these machines?

lawn dogg
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Have not , I recently bought a ryan wb works pretty good will work your --- off though. let me know how that works .

br549oicu8
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Have a Ryan, Classen and a Plugr.
The Plugr is the easiest on your body....

corey4671
11-02-2007, 04:40 PM
check out these guys..http://turf-aire.com/index.html

avnorm
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I agree w/ turf-aire.

The heavy duty 36" pull behind is easy to use, but you can't back into corners. I reason that there is little traffic there, compressing the soil, -- yada yada. But for the remainder of large areas, you can double, triple or quadruple pass. I even went over large pine mulched areas for the sake of the trees.

For fun, I used it the moment it arrived during a dry spell. It pulled decent plugs of 1.5-2". After rain 2.5-3" three days later. Criss-crossed each time.

After over seeding & starter fert .... 12 days later the grass is looking great!!!!!!!!

CTJ
11-02-2007, 10:35 PM
I agree w/ turf-aire.

The heavy duty 36" pull behind is easy to use......

What do you pull your turf-aire with? I'm thinking about getting one. Great sale price. Could you pull one with a 17 HP riding mower? Or would I need to use my ZTR?

PLM-1
11-02-2007, 11:21 PM
An Aeravator on a Grasshopper is great. On the larger aeravator you need a tractor unit with hydraulic deck lift i.e some sort of liquid-cooled (721D, 722D, 928D, 725, 729, 932) machine. They do a very good job on one pass plus you sit and have the maneuverability of a zero-turn. I don't know how I did it with a walk-behind. I can't believe all the time I saved also.

rootslawnservice
11-03-2007, 06:00 AM
I have a JRCO hooking aerator, and I think it works great. Pretty pricey thought , but on the front of my Lazer Z , pretty fast. It willn't kick our butt ether. I ran one of those Ryan ones and needed a nap afterword.

avnorm
11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
What do you pull your turf-aire with? I'm thinking about getting one. Great sale price. Could you pull one with a 17 HP riding mower? Or would I need to use my ZTR?

I used Gravely 144 xdz at 21 hp. I believe Bishop will give you good advice. Also check towing limits of your machine. You need good hydraulic pump motors as well as hp.

Also consider terrain. Pulling uphill may be a strain.

Good luck.

turfcobob
11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
There are aerators out there that will fill every need in the industry today. You have to list what your needs are first. i.e. gates, hillls, small lawns, big lawns, transport and on and on. You are the only one who knows what your needs are. It may take more than one machine to hit all your requirements as there is no one single machine that will do it all. I would advise you to stick with coring aeration if you are selling the service. Core Aeration is the best and will have a lasting effect. If you remove some soil you are creating a vacant spot in the soil as well as fracturing the surrounding soil. The soil and plants will have to move to replace the soil missing in the hole plus the core on the surface will bread down slowly helping to control the thatch layer. If you do not remove a core you are just making a hole in the ground with compaction around it. the hole will close up at the first good watering.

tralfaz
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
I have been considering a 36" Turf-Aire. My big concern is the strain on the mower. I have 27 and 28 hp zero turns. I've never tried to tow anything with them. Also, I looked at the JRCO Hooker aerator. I like the idea of it being in the front where you can see what you are doing. The price is quite steep though. It also didn't look like it would produce too many holes per sq. foot.

onebreezer
11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a plugr 850. Have only used it once but I like it.

skip1718
11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
i have a ryan greensaire ga-24 golf aerator. this is the best machine out there. perfect core or spike aeration everytime and so easy to use.