PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Transformer in garage.

Lite4
10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Does the NEC have anything to say about hanging a transformer in a garage? I usually hang them outside to disipate heat. Customer wants it in the garage though. Some of the Torroids run pretty cool, but don't know if it is allowed. Any thoughts?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I believe it all comes down to the rating / listing by the manufacturer. Some transformers specify for outdoor use only. Check with your transformer manufactuer, and if allowed, then be sure to make all your wire that travels through the structure is done to code.

NightScenes
10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
As James said, it will indicate on the transformer whether it's for indoor use or not. The one issue you will have is the penetration of the wall. All of the runs must be in conduit where they enter the building.

JoeyD
10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
My transformers can go in a garage. And rest assured that if properly wired it will not kill you or your customers!!

Lite4
10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Joey,
Does Unique sell Torroids?

JoeyD
10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
No Torroids for us.

Pro-Scapes
10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I never have nor do I look forward to even thinking about mounting a trans inside. For the northern boys it might be a better options.

Poses a service issue... client has to be home. We generally try to place transformers in areas that it will not cause a visual disturbance. I have seen them screwed to siding right next to the front door or even hung directly from trees. Inside I am sure looks great but if your going to do it make SURE the thing is safe and done properly. I just assume hang it outside on the utility side of the home.