PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis-Is it too late to see anymore?

forgop
10-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I've seeded pretty heavily in some areas I added topsoil to achieve better grading and got pretty good coverage, but still would like to get some more coverage if possible. Forecast over the next 10 days are in the highs of mid 60's and lows of mid-30's. I think we've only had one frost thus far.

I used a blend consisting of rye that grew in 5-6 days earlier about 3 weeks ago. I will use a blend of fertilizer and paper mulch for coverage. Am I wasting my time putting out any more seed for the year?

Thanks for your input.

loom-gen
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
As long as the seedlings have time to harden before the first freeze you will be ok. So the answer to your question is yes, its too late.

TurfCo, LLC
10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
As long as the seedlings have time to harden before the first freeze you will be ok. So the answer to your question is yes, its too late.

DING DING DING!! Exactly right. And I am four hours further south than you are in Indy. I talked to my local extention office today, and they said it was really too late. I only asked because I've got this customer that is riding me to get things seeded, but I told him he's too late and he won't like the results. Now I've got someone else on my side with some more credibility, so hopefully they'll listen.