PDA

View Full Version : Office Help

Flow Control
10-30-2007, 02:29 PM
How many of you have paid office help to answer phones and billing. We are nearing seven figures in irrigation only sales and I have yet to employ any office help. I work with a third party that answers my phones and does scheduling for me. I was thinking of taking that expense and using it as my budget for 08 in finding a pt office employee.

hoskm01
10-30-2007, 02:55 PM
If you are doing those kind of figures, I think you would be much better off spending it in house on your own employee. Personalized, in house attention should be infinitely times better. Wish I could be in that dollar range. Impressive.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
How many of you have paid office help to answer phones and billing. We are nearing seven figures in irrigation only sales and I have yet to employ any office help. I work with a third party that answers my phones and does scheduling for me. I was thinking of taking that expense and using it as my budget for 08 in finding a pt office employee.

Intriguing. how do they handle scheduling for you? How do they know how long to give each job, whose available, etc? is it a company that does that for other businesses or somebody who works from home? If they do a good job the benefits of not having another body on the payroll is always good.

Mike Leary
10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Call me paranoid (I've known too many contractors who suffered from
embezzlement by "trusted"book keepers), but we all need help, especially if
your pushing that kind of billing. I had a CPA firm take care of EVERYTHING
except the actual field billing. That & the scheduling I did myself..I'm a control
freak & you all know the only one who can bill from field reports is a sprinkler guy,almost every job I would know a certain part HAD to have been
installed tho it was not on the field report from the field crews. That's time
consuming, but for bottom line, a necessity. You could hire a old hack like
me or Fimco, but the only way other way than that is the old "keep your
thumb on YOUR business".:dizzy:

Frontier-Lawn
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM

if you have a wife or girlfriend try to use her to do it. saves on money and a check to write :laugh:

Mike Leary
10-30-2007, 04:45 PM
if you have a wife or girlfriend try to use her to do it. saves on money and a check to write :laugh:

Yass, in her spare time she can get rid of that obnoxious sig you have.:hammerhead:

Flow Control
10-30-2007, 04:47 PM

She just passed the Bar exam is is looking for employment and whenever I brought it up before she did not express much interest.

Flow Control
10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Intriguing. how do they handle scheduling for you? How do they know how long to give each job, whose available, etc? is it a company that does that for other businesses or somebody who works from home? If they do a good job the benefits of not having another body on the payroll is always good.

I work with a service that does the following:

Takes messages

Schedules appointments onto a online scheduler so the service techs knows what is going on from home (they keep the work trucks.) Through trial and error they have a decent idea on how to do the scheduling. We do not give service times. On a regular appointment it is either AM or PM (no more then 8 a day for service calls, 4am and 4pm for each service truck and we overlap the times so AM is from 8-1pm and PM is 12-Dusk) and for winterizations it is Day of or they pay an additional fee for an exact appointment.

Mike Leary
10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
She just passed the Bar exam is is looking for employment and whenever I brought it up before she did not express much interest.

Quickest way to dissolve a relationship I know..o.k., there are others.

BrandonV
10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
thats a neat system. we have a receptionist/nursery sales person in conjunction w/ a telephone system, works great. oh and you can't just hire some louse off the street (we did once)

Mike Leary
10-30-2007, 08:03 PM
oh and you can't just hire some louse off the street (we did once)

Jezz, I don't think me & Peter have ever been called "louses"..o.k. once.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-30-2007, 08:28 PM
My boss could value from this thread.

Someone @ office to pick up phone=necessary.

Mike Leary
10-30-2007, 08:34 PM
My boss could value from this thread.

Capital idea...turn the boss onto your posts.:hammerhead:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I let a machine handle everything and return calls in the evening. I don't like to deal with the phone during billing hours. Problem I'm having is 15-25 service calls a day being left on phone to deal with in the evening. It's a killer. My theory is to get a couple or three good service guys. Have a mobile office that allows me to observe more difficult work that requires my immense troubleshooting skills and deal with calls during the day. Course this means I'd have to be disciplined to avoid getting into the work itself.

Mike Leary
10-30-2007, 09:12 PM
allows me to observe more difficult work that requires my immense troubleshooting skills and deal with calls during the day.

::Pats self on back while thinking about the demise of pigtails:::

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Have a mobile office that allows me to observe more difficult work that requires my immense troubleshooting skills (TIC) and deal with calls during the day. Course this means I'd have to be disciplined to avoid getting into the work itself.

Pigtails will always be the first order of business with every new customer we have. I went to a house today I haven't seen in three years. Pigtail still there waiting for me.

hoskm01
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
turn the boss on

What is with the two of you lately?

:)