PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.... just a few questions

PlatinumLandCon
10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm 17 and I've run a lawn care business for 2 years now. I came across www.lawncaresucks.com and was intrigued. I've always thought of doing irriation installs/repairs but never really looked into it. Is a license required? Is it really possible to gross $100+/hour? I will need to invest $7-8k into my lawn care business to get a new truck and mower for next year so I was just wondering if that was worth it....

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Thanks!

bigred1
10-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi Newbie,

The key is quality. You can charge 85 or 95 dollars an hour if you know what you are doing and can speak with confidence. That is for repairs. Installs it is hard to make money on, especially for a newbie, but seek out some wisdom in your area because every market is different. The key to repairs is being able to troubleshoot, and that also requires alot of electrical troubleshooting. The electrical side is largely understated and underestimated when people talk about learning irrigation. In most areas, a license is required, it depends on your local government. Some licenses are basically a registration, others require training. The International Irrigation Association website would be helpful, especially if you need training.

PlatinumLandCon
10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks bigred.
Another question I have, Will my age play a role with getting my license? Do you need to be 18 to get the license?

Also, what sort of truck do you guys use... Cube van? Cargo Van? Pick-up?

Kiril
10-31-2007, 12:22 AM
My suggestion to you (given your age) if your really serious about irrigation, find a reputable contractor that does high quality work, and go to work for him for at least 2 years.

PlatinumLandCon
10-31-2007, 12:28 AM
I still haven't made a decision on a career yet. I'm in this right now to pay for college. After that I don't know.... all I know is that I want to never have to worry about money (my family knows the flip side very well).

BrandonV
10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
well in that case thing about a career in law or health care

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
I still haven't made a decision on a career yet. I'm in this right now to pay for college. After that I don't know.... all I know is that I want to never have to worry about money (my family knows the flip side very well).

If you want to be a great irrigation tech. Get extensive horticulture/ turf knowledge. Nothing impresses a customer more than an irrigator that has real plant knowledge. Very few here in Dallas have any plant knowledge. Definitely finish college. The big service bucks are made in the south where you can work year round. here is a great tutorial for a good overview and our top thread has a lot of good advice.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/